Fram Filter Bashing Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching some videos of how people are decarboning their 5.3 motors..and came upon this video.. This guy says "i would rather not use a filter at all than use a fram"... he pours a quart of transmission fluid in the oil and the sludge that comes out is pretty amazing..wonder if he destroyed the engine?

Worth a watch.

That guy is challenged. He likely bought a lemon that had infrequent oil changes and/or was driven cold much of the time. The filter doesn't produce sludge. That filter likely blinded within seconds of that sludge pile unleashing. Next time pop a valve cover off before you toss in the quart of trans fluid.

He says trans fluid is high detergent? Most regular ATF's have a very weak detergent packages...about 10% of what a motor oil has. What's this "technical" talk of "little flap" for the oil filter? I'm impressed.

i spent too much time reading the comments but deep down in there he said that the previous owner changed oil at 50000 miles and when it needed oil he added bar and chain oil to it.

Reading through those public comments there's a lot of dislike for Fram Filters, and lots of love for Puro's. Interesting.

Chain & Bar Oil - that's how you fix lots of stuff - not
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
He says trans fluid is high detergent? Most regular ATF's have a very weak detergent packages...about 10% of what a motor oil has. What's this "technical" talk of "little flap" for the oil filter? I'm impressed.

My dad used to say the same thing. I think it's an urban legend that predates the term urban legend.

I like how he said the filter sat overnight and was still full of oil. I guess the ADBV on that OCOD worked, huh?
crazy.gif

A more likely solution was that the oil in there was SOOOO spent, so thick with crud, and the additives were so worn out, that the trans fluid he put in actually WAS a far better cleaner/lubricator than the oil that was in it, and thus DID manage to do something that the oil that was in there couldn't.

Think about it, if the oil that was in there was so used up that the TBN was at or near zero, and the TAN was up there, it wouldn't have been able to do any cleaning, and would actually have been causing sludge.. but fresh clean ATF would actually have a positive TBN and SOME active detergents.. plus it would have been CLEAN and capable of actually picking up existing sludge deposits.

... Just a thought.

It's impossible to kill off those old "grandpa used to do it" memes. Why did he buy it? Didn't you check the vehicle out before purchasing it? The best filter made wouldn't have prevented that mess. What a DORK.

The video was not worth watching.
This same kind of guy is the type that argues with a certified expert.
Clueless.
Any brand filter on that truck would have been blamed......

Watching the full 10 plus minutes would be a waste of 10 plus minutes of life. No thanks, the first minute was enough.

Well, I commented on the video, pointed out the flaws in his logic, etc.. and, of course, he replied. Considering the very first line in his reply, I almost wonder if he's a troll here on BITOG:

2is9uz7.jpg

Who feels like joining in on this discussion on the video page? I think it might prove entertaining to "educate" this idiot a bit.

He blames the Fram filter for the condition that engine is in.. Im pretty sure there is a coolant leak there also.. As far as that Fram orange can is concerned that had nothing to do with the issues of that engine.

Oh and the transmission fluid in the motor oil because of the added detergent is a classic.. This guy is a real winner...lol i wonder how much he paid the female in the video for her 12 seconds of fame...lol

The best yet was in 1998 when i had a guy come in with a low low milage 4 runner only about 4 years old that was knocking very loudly.. First thing i checked was the oil and it was very very clean and up to the full mark but it felt very very very thick and talking to this guy he said he changed his oil and used 20w50 and 4 cans of S.T.P. so it will protect against wear! I told him we had to get that oil out Now and put 5w30 in there and hopefully it will be ok..He refused and said he was not paying for another oil change and that i was wrong! I did everything to convince him but he left. A month later i get an engine from a local shop that was his for a rebuild.. I told Eddie from the shop he was here and he is trouble and i did not want to be involved with this guy.. He wound up putting a used engine in and guess what!

You could have poured 5 quarts of ANYTHING remotely related to "oil" in that engine and it would have helped clean up that mess. It just happened to be 1 qt of trans fluid + motor oil in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back