Will this filter damage my engine?

I just had my oil changed. I have been very careful keeping the maintenance up. My vehicle is a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, with a 2.4 liters engine. The guy came from under my vehicle and said he didn't have the filter for my car. I am guessing he had generic filters. So he went inside and brought out a Fram TG6607. I can't find that as a substitute anywhere. Will this damage my vehicle?

They are essentially identical except the 6607 is a bit shorter. Drive on with confidence.
I actually went to Walmart to get it changed. The place I usually go to want $98 for an oil change. They actually showed me the filter on their screen and it was listed. Had I known, I had two factory filters at home.

Pretty sure the filter they would have installed would have still been a 6607. Several years ago, WM Automotive simplified and reduced the filter selections they have in the shop. Anything that called for a 7317 would get a 6607. Maybe somebody who works there can confirm. It sounds like you got an upgrade, hopefully no charge. Drive on.

My Nissan pickup with the 4 cylinder engine calls for the 6607. The Nissan pickup with the 6-cylinder engines calls for the 7317. The shorter filter is specified on the 4-cylinder engine because there is very limited room on the chassis to squeeze the longer 7317 filter onto the engine. I personally use the 7317 size filter and have made minor modifications to the chassis to allow the fitment of the longer filter because I want the larger size.

Fram specifies the longer 7317 filter for your Mitsubishi. It's identical to the 6607 in all dimensions except the height. The 7317 is 0.85" taller. If they installed a 6607 then it is perfectly acceptable and safe to use as well.

I wouldn't worry about it, as @ripcord stated, the 6607 is just a short 7317.

Kind of like how a 3614 and a 16 are interchangeable if space exists for the 16.

Just have about a cup less oil in the system.

This quick oil change places are charging an arm and a leg for oil changes. I sold my house and moved to a condo with no garage. I got an extraction pump. Easy and no mess, filter is underneath the car I cover it with a gallon bag and remove it. $98 no way

Back