Carb harley sportster 2006 - engine and primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

im wondering if someone can recommend a cost effective engine and primary oil for harleys that may have been examined and accepted among the board.

the manual states i can use 20w50 HDEO if "no harley oil" is available.

but im wondering what i can use for the primary.

i ran rotella a few times in the engine case, and i think it got hot one time, didnt over heat but the temp light MAY have came on (cant remember if the thought gave birth to the memory or not) but the bike did feel overly hot, in summer, with 15w40 rotella

I always ran 20W50 Castrol GTX in the engine and 50/50 mix ATF and 80W90 gear lube in the transmission/primary in mt '89 XL 1200

I have always run Napa 15W-50 in engine (26,000 miles in 12 years) since its first oil change (2004 1200R Sporty.). For primary/transmission I just use Harleys Formula+.

I've also had good results with the Valvoline 20w-50, the only relatively inexpensive oil that I have found to work better is the Rev-Tech. Probably the best place to find it is the independent shops that specialize in American made motorcycles.

The Rev-Tech is the least expensive premium oil I have found, and it holds up well in the Texas heat. I have run 75 to 80 mph in 80 to 102 degree temps for ten hours at a time and the oil definitely stayed together.

Does anybody know if Castrol has changed their formulation in the past few years? I ran 20w-50 GTX for years and the motors held up great, recently it seems like the cam lobes don't hold up so well with the Castrol.

Kendall GT1 is the oil i've been eyeballing, but i cant seem to find it in stores. it seems i need to purchase it online or something.

Also, can a moderator please move this to the motorcycle forum. I looked up and down for the subforum but never found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back