Mobil 1 15W50 vs. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a VOA comparison of these two. I bet they are the exact same formulation. Oddly XOM doesn't sell Racing 4T 15W50 in North America, only the 10W40 version and a 20W50 labeled as a Mobil 1 V-Twin.

Notice that on Mobil's US products spec sheet dated February 2016, Mobil 1 15W50 (page 2) and Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 (page 3) both have identical quantities of Phosphorous (1200) and Zinc (1300). This leads me to believe that the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W50 sold outside of North America is likely the same formulation as "car and truck" Mobil 1 15W50 sold here. Note that Mobil 1 V-twin (page 3) is not the same, with much higher levels of Phos (1600) and Zinc (1750), levels that may cause problems with catalytic converts long term.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

Thanks for posting the updated chart. I think the racing only oils have minimal detergents - they're designed to be changed frequently. M1 15W-50 is pretty stout and works fine in many racing applications - I used it myself in the past w SBC road race cars.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Thanks for posting the updated chart. I think the racing only oils have minimal detergents - they're designed to be changed frequently. M1 15W-50 is pretty stout and works fine in many racing applications - I used it myself in the past w SBC road race cars.

The Racing 4T is a motorcycle oil, have lots of detergent, too.

My main aim is to find out if Mobil 1 15W50 and Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W50 are actually the exact same product in different bottles.

I am confident that Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40's makeup is PAO/VISOM/AN and the additive package. PAO= PolyAlphaOlefin Group IV synthetic. VISOM = Mobil's own propreitary "Group III+" ultra hydrocracked petroleum oil. AN = Alkylated Naphthalene, a Group V synthetic aromatic used at the additive carrier.

I noticed the same thing LoneRanger. I use M1 15w-50 in my Kawi C14 for years and it does seem to hold its grade well going thru the gearbox and clutch ~5k OCI. At wally world a 5 qt jug ~$23-$27 vs $10 qt for motorcycle 10w-40 at the zone. No UOA for confirmation just years of riding, When oil breaks down in a bike the gearbox gets notchy. and lesser oils come out like water having been sheared to death.

M1 15/50 is a car engine oil while racing 4T 15/50 is motorcycle specific and is JASO MA .

if you compare the product spec sheets of the two you will see all their properties are different (apart from the flash point)

In europe, unfortunately racing 4t 10/40 is not sold

I'm considering this option as well for a '13 Ducati Multistrada, vs. the ~$18/qt for the 4T, assuming I can even find it. Very rare in the US.

What would keep this M1 oil from meeting JASO MA/MA2, or otherwise make it unsuitable for MC use, vs 4T?

The Ducati owner's manual doesn't specify any JASO, API, or other requirements, rather only viscosity ranges based on temperature...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2365764

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back