PQIA publishes six 5W-20 oil results (7/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more ultra low NOACK PYB? Sigh. It couldnt last forever.

Thank you Tom and to the PQIA as always for the diligent work.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Looking at the chart,which oil would you say is the best. Pennzoil?

If having moly is your criteria, perhaps.

I think Mobil Super looks pretty good overall, and price wise MS jugs always towards the low end at WM. I see four of them using Na. Some don't like that because could be taken for coolant intrusion with UOA, but if one is aware of content not an issue.

Thanks Tom.

Been using PYB (in 5w-30 flavor) for a few years now (Hyundai 2.4L).
Been thinking of trying Maxlife (109k on clock), but don't know yet (no leaks etc.).

I have a theory that Shell & Mobil are blending Group III base stocks into MOST of their dino oil products now because it's cheaper for them to do so rather than to use a pure Group II base which requires adding more pour point depressants and VII additives.

Pennzoil & Mobil dino oils from a few years ago all had ~14% NOACK http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html and we know that PYB sometimes tested with super low NOACK under 10% which is a full synthetic base. This means that Shell & Mobil is producing more synthetic base stock than their full synthetic products require so they're blending the extra into their dino products.

BTW guys, notice the Titanium additive in Mobil super oil as well. I doubt they'll be using it if it was an expensive additive.....

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
No more ultra low NOACK PYB?

13.1% is very close to several 5W20 Synthetics on the Market. I suspect it's primarily GIII. If I remember correctly the low NOACK Test was on 5W30.

For that matter it looks like a lot of the oils have been reformulated for lower NOACK lately. Anyone know if the new standards in January are going to be 13%?

Last edited:
I don't care which one looks the best on paper. I know which oil sounds the best in my pushrod engines, and that's Castrol GTX. I have used all those oils except for the PROLINE. I thought Pennzoil would help cut down the noise on my pushrod engines, and it's actually one of the worst.

try pennzoil high mileage that is a good oil as is max life which i started using because of the leaky pennzoil jugs... My choice for years would be the Pennzoil if their jugs had a double seal

Originally Posted By: wemay
Not a loser in the bunch. Thanks Tom.

Valvoline dino is the loser. Lowest TBN & highest NOACK /w the same average retail price as the big 3 brands.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I don't care which one looks the best on paper. I know which oil sounds the best

lol this is how isis came into power

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
try pennzoil high mileage that is a good oil as is max life which i started using because of the leaky pennzoil jugs... My choice for years would be the Pennzoil if their jugs had a double seal

What about PHM (conventional/blend) vs Maxlife Full Synthetic? That's the next decision I'm going to make.

The last few years I ran across many Castrol bashers in the UK- on here and on Amazon.
I was run out of town boasting about Magnatec. I always found it interesting that GTX showed high rankings
even on Amsoils propaganda and in other tests. Go with what you know and what works in your application.

Check out the UK oil retailers on the net in the review sections. The Britt's credit Castrol for sludging up and ruining engines.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I don't care which one looks the best on paper. I know which oil sounds the best in my pushrod engines, and that's Castrol GTX. I have used all those oils except for the PROLINE. I thought Pennzoil would help cut down the noise on my pushrod engines, and it's actually one of the worst.

Right below it they have a coolant comparo, including Smitty's coolant sold by the quart. I've never seen coolant in quart bottles before! Except the expensive Pento$in where that 1.5L bottle is the same price as a gallon of regular coolant!

...and this time Castrol GTX comes out tied for tops in the Noack wars. If it were PYB (of which I'm a fan) the hysteria on here would be nauseating.

Valvoline is NOT the loser as MaxLife is DEXOS certified. Also, a member here uses VWB in his Chevy Traverse with some good UOA's to back it up
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back