Catrol Edge Proffessional 5w40 VW 502

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work as an service writer at an Audi dealer and we use Castrol edge professional 5w40 VW 502 , I've been here since December. Still new to the brand. The OCI is 10,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first. We've had multiple issues. There is a class action suit on pistons. And the Timing chains are stretching in the 2.0 TFSI engines. My question is I've seen about 100 engines torn down, both 2.0 and 3.0 3.2 and so on using this oil. Most the customers are going the specified intervals. But these engines look horrid and are having so many issues well even before 50,000 miles. Does anyone have experience with this oil? Are these intervals too long?

VW and the rest of the Vag group. are having huge timing chain problems in Europe too. They haven't made a good engine With a camchain the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shDK
VW and the rest of the Vag group. are having huge timing chain problems in Europe too. They haven't made a good engine With a camchain the last 20 years.
So you don't think its oil related? I'm just saying the rest of the inside of the engines just look so horrid, varnish, sludge the likes. What is the solution in Europe?

Wife's Q5 is on this dealer-provided Castrol 5w-40 regimen as well. She's now at 11K miles and getting ready for her second oil change.

I'm not even sure that more frequent oil changes would help much.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wife's Q5 is on this dealer-provided Castrol 5w-40 regimen as well. She's now at 11K miles and getting ready for her second oil change.

I'm not even sure that more frequent oil changes would help much.

Really? Just doesn't seem like the factory fill performs as well as it should.

Originally Posted By: JHogan
Really? Just doesn't seem like the factory fill performs as well as it should.

The factory fill gets dumped after the first 5K miles, so I don't think you can tell much from that. Or are you saying you are seeing sludge and varnish in these engines by 5K miles already?

My theory: premium euro cars and suvs aren't driven fast for extended periods.

Groceries, shopping, short trips, keep lease miles low. This severe service shouldn't have 10K oci.

Bmw was recommended 15k oci in USA, can you imagine? Lease a car, live in city, drive 8 miles a day.

Recipe for disaster, usa doesn't have high speed autobahn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JXW
Groceries, shopping, short trips, keep lease miles low. This severe service shouldn't have 10K oci.

If you don't put on too many miles, then you are bound by the time limit, which is 1 year. My wife only puts on about 5k miles a year, so she gets it serviced once a year.

But in general, your point is valid i think. Short tripping is bad for these engines.

But these engines look horrid and are having so many issues well even before 50,000 miles.

Got any pics you can post?
smile.gif

Castrol 5w40 has somewhat low calcium compared to similar oils, so I bet the TBN isn't that great.

bobbydavro seems to like this oil. Hopefully he will chime in.
smile.gif

I work as an service writer at an Audi dealer and we use Castrol edge professional 5w40 VW 502 , I've been here since December. Still new to the brand. The OCI is 10,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first. We've had multiple issues. There is a class action suit on pistons. And the Timing chains are stretching in the 2.0 TFSI engines. My question is I've seen about 100 engines torn down, both 2.0 and 3.0 3.2 and so on using this oil. Most the customers are going the specified intervals. But these engines look horrid and are having so many issues well even before 50,000 miles. Does anyone have experience with this oil? Are these intervals too long?

Which 2.0TFSI engines? 1st gen? 2nd gen? third gen?
I had VW CC 2010, bought it with 22K in 2012, traded it with 96K in November 2015. Immediately dumped 5W40 Castrol Professional as I think it is substandard oil. Put in Castrol 0W30 GC. On several occasions used M1 0W40 and then when Castrol 0W40 became available in Wal Mart in 5qt jugs, used that oil and still using that oil in my wife's Tiguan (Tiguan bought in 2013 with 34K, now has 60K). CC was driven like it was stolen (of course after engine warms up) and I take Tiguan often to give it "proper" exercise. Never had a single issue with engines, doing 5K OCI's. Tiguan had failed intake manifold 400 miles after I bought it. Flew from San Diego to Charlottesville, VA to pick up car, drove it back to San DIego. In TN got check engine light. I personally think it failed due to that oil and city use or not pushing car hard.
First, as most people know, I am genuine "hater" of that Castrol 5W40, and second, 10K is too long of an OCI due to high sulfur in the U.S> gas. Also, most people in the U.S. use cars to get groceries, go to work. Anything that requires 3+ hours of driving they take Southwest. I think combination of these factors is culprit.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
Castrol 5w40 has somewhat low calcium compared to similar oils, so I bet the TBN isn't that great.

Not sure if anything has changed recently, but TBN used to be around 10.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VOA#Post2365767

Low calcium is supposedly good for DI engines. Some sources claim it helps prevent LSPI.

It has been reformulated since that VOA. I did a UOA of it recently. There is no magnesium anymore, just calcium. But it has the lowest calcium for a non-magnesium containing A3/B4 oil I have seen.

The store I worked at (BMW/VW) used Castrol Edge Professional LL01 and I saw nothing but clean engines on factory service intervals while I worked there. There were some exceptions in some BMWs, but most were caused by ignored thermostats or wayyyy over shooting the OCI.

Not sure the difference in the 2.0tfsi between VW and Audi, but we didn't experience the number of failures you're describing. Maybe two 2.5 timing chains and I think one 2.0tfsi re-ring.

Doesn't this oil still meet Porsche A40 spec? If so, it can't be that bad.

Yes, meets all important euro specs other than MB 229.5. My UOA was fine with it, even though it sheared a lot.

Not sure if anything has changed recently, but TBN used to be around 10.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VOA#Post2365767

Low calcium is supposedly good for DI engines. Some sources claim it helps prevent LSPI.

It has been reformulated since that VOA. I did a UOA of it recently. There is no magnesium anymore, just calcium. But it has the lowest calcium for a non-magnesium containing A3/B4 oil I have seen.

My mistake. I looked at my old UOA, and it contains a tiny amount of magnesium. Still has Dexos levels of calcium though.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The store I worked at (BMW/VW) used Castrol Edge Professional LL01 and I saw nothing but clean engines on factory service intervals while I worked there. There were some exceptions in some BMWs, but most were caused by ignored thermostats or wayyyy over shooting the OCI.

Not sure the difference in the 2.0tfsi between VW and Audi, but we didn't experience the number of failures you're describing. Maybe two 2.5 timing chains and I think one 2.0tfsi re-ring.

VW had a lot of issues with timing chain in EUrope on 1.2TSI and 1.4TSI. 2.0TSI is best engine in that family IMO.

Doesn't this oil still meet Porsche A40 spec? If so, it can't be that bad.

Yeah, it does meet. I am not saying it is bad looking at that oil only. However, comparing to M1 0W40, Castrol 0W30/40 etc. it is IMO among all those oils substandard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back