How is the new STP Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently seen this appear at autozone. They have STP and Castrol. They are 20 cents different in price. How is the quality of STP mercon v?

Why is valvoline not making a fully licensed mercon V anymore? Is the fluid that says in small print "Designed for mercon v applications" safe to use without a license? I have used valvoline back in the day when it was licensed and it was a great fluid, I would say probably the best.

I wouldn't choose one oil over another based on it being .20 less a quart unless you have a fleet to maintain.

How much is it? Everyone also likes Walmart's Supertech Mercon V which is made under license and it's $4.27 a quart. Normally Castrol is more unless they have a 2 for $8 sale which happens once in a while. Only other time you'd find it cheaper is when it's on clearance at Autozone for $1 or $2.

Castrol price went from $6.19 displayed to $5.19 when I put a quart into my cart. You may want to try and order on line with store pick up, and get $1 per quart off that way. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Castrol price went from $6.19 displayed to $5.19 when I put a quart into my cart. You may want to try and order on line with store pick up, and get $1 per quart off that way. YMMV.

What store did you try online?

Havoline Mercon V is regularly under $4 on Amazon, and it displays the license number on the bottle. Both it and Castrol are among top tier in my experience.

So what would you guys use? Havoline or Castrol?

I can only say this. I changed fluid of a 98 lincoln town car to fix TC shudder. Castrol did not fix even with battery reset. Valvoline did. This was back when valvoline was licensed.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
So what would you guys use? Havoline or Castrol?

I can only say this. I changed fluid of a 98 lincoln town car to fix TC shudder. Castrol did not fix even with battery reset. Valvoline did. This was back when valvoline was licensed.

So, the second time took care of it. It could have been the same fluid you used the very first time?.. It's either the function of fluid or time with fluid, no evidence either way.

To clarify, this car had a TC drain, so I was able to do the whole 13 qt capacity. I changed it, reset the battery and it helped very much. But at 45 mph it would shudder. I then just so happen to stop in advanced auto parts and the valvoline rep was there. He was saying how much more superior their friction modifiers were and that they specially designed that forumla for fords TC shudder issue. He sold that line and I bought it. I changed it again the same way, reset the battery and problem was solved 100%.

Now this was back in 2008. So I have no clue how long it lasted, and back then valvoline was fully licensed. Now it is not.

So that leaves me with havoline, or castrol locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back