Is my daily commute a shirt trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

My daily commute 6 times a week, 9 months a year, is about 14 Km ( 8.7 miles ) each way, all highway driving at 120 Km/h ( 75 Mph ) which takes me about 10 to 15 minutes
would you consider this short?
My daily 1998 Peugeot specs a Semi synthetic 10w40, would i benefit from a full synthetic like M1 10w40?

Unless you are in the Arctic, I would NOT consider that a short trip at those speeds in warm weather.

I think you're ok

What engine is in the Peugeot? what kind of temperatures do you typically see?

I would say you're right at what is typically considered an operating temperature distance, especially for a smaller engine. My focus 2.3l used to warm up pretty quickly, while my mustang and jeep take some time.

I would say if cost is not an issue, why not get a full synthetic? its probably barely more, and I bet you can just buy a gallon (4.4 liter i think) container to fill the engine in the Peugeot.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What engine is in the Peugeot? what kind of temperatures do you typically see?

I would say you're right at what is typically considered an operating temperature distance, especially for a smaller engine. My focus 2.3l used to warm up pretty quickly, while my mustang and jeep take some time.

I would say if cost is not an issue, why not get a full synthetic? its probably barely more, and I bet you can just buy a gallon (4.4 liter i think) container to fill the engine in the Peugeot.

Temps are between 32F and 100F Over the year, the engine is a tiny all aluminium 1100cc 4 pot that takes barely 3 Liters of oil,
it burns a bit of oil, would a full syn 5w40 do the job? it's easier to find 5w40 synthetic here than in 10w40 form.

Everything sounds pretty good then! That engine is small enough that it probably heats up pretty quick. And with the lower capacity of oil I'd throw synthetic in there as it wont cost much more, and there isnt much oil in there, might as well have what little bit is there be top quality.

Quartz 9000 is different from Quartz 9000 energy (229.3 vs 229.5). The first one is not advertised as synthetic but says "synthetic technology". Don't know about the second.
I'd use whatever syn 5W40 or 0W40 is on sale if I were you
smile.gif

Always thought this engine has cast iron block?

We found long ago that the "short trip" thing can be way overplayed. My mother used to have to commute five blocks, and use a car in many situations because of the stuff she had to take with her. That was like 4x/day and then lots of other "short" trips of just a mile or two for things like groceries.

Using a good syn, at regular non-severe intervals produced great wear results and no bad actors. If that concerned, make sure the oil gets to temp for a decent run (20+ miles) once every month or so. For her it worked great for 200k miles, beyond which the car started to have corrosion issues and other plastic part deterioration.

A shirt trip, LOL. How do we know what you wear?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a more serious note, if the vehicle fully warms up, probably not.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
My daily commute 6 times a week, 9 months a year, is about 14 Km ( 8.7 miles ) each way, all highway driving at 120 Km/h ( 75 Mph ) which takes me about 10 to 15 minutes
My daily 1998 Peugeot specs a Semi synthetic 10w40, would i benefit from a full synthetic like M1 10w40?

I don't think thats particularly short in your ambient esp with the engine size and speed you mentioned.

I would try a PEA cleaner for the combustion chamber but you're probably OK there as well.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
A shirt trip, LOL. How do we know what you wear?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a more serious note, if the vehicle fully warms up, probably not.

No shirt required he's driving topless.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
if the vehicle fully warms up, probably not.

hahaha

Wonderful insight !!

Seems borderline to me. I would just drive a few exits outa my way or a few miles each way and back track to keep the oil temp up just a few minutes more or so.

Many owners manuals define short as under 10 miles.

If it was mine and I put on 4000 miles a year I would do annual changes on conventional or every two years on a quality synthetic.

Last edited:
Enough with the shirt jokes haha
But yeah i was asking if it was a short trip since the engine only reaches operating temperature for a short time but i guess carbon can't form so easily when you have a little 1100cc engine spinning very fast.
Although i do notice that when it's 5c or lower the engine will run just a bit lumpy for a second or two, i also hear the odd crackle or pop out of the exhaust when i rev the engine and let off the throttle.
My plan is to go with a 5w40 Full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back