Supertech ST9688

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at Walmart and saw them. Snapped some pics. This thing is small compared to other 9688 filters. Gasket is identical size size, but can is narrow. I can't imagine there is a lot of filter media:

ACKTRCl.jpg
JwX6gMR.jpg
NPJPduT.jpg

bHtTrLT.jpg

Last edited:
Since the 7317 and 9688 are interchangeable, this makes me wonder if they are making 1 filter for both applications.

Either way, I'd use it worry free.

I agree, but I was still surprised at the small size. I even checked the application book to make sure it was the right filter.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Since the 7317 and 9688 are interchangeable, this makes me wonder if they are making 1 filter for both applications.....

Make me wonder what the ST7317 will look like. Same as the ST9688?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Since the 7317 and 9688 are interchangeable, this makes me wonder if they are making 1 filter for both applications.....

Make me wonder what the ST7317 will look like. Same as the ST9688?
21.gif

Good question.

The only reason I'd be hesitant would be the length depending on what it'd be used for. With the Elantra my mom had, that longer filter might be hanging down about even with the oil pan. I'd much rather have the larger diameter, but shorter 9688.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Narrower but taller.

That's like Honda. Before 2001-02 majority Honda spec the wider/shorter 14459/51334/3593A, since it's the longer/narrower 14610/57356/7317. All have the same thread pitch and gasket(or very close)dimensions.

Fram makes a separate application the 9688 with same dimensions as the 3593A. Puro and Wix just one, 14459/51334

Looking at the MicroGard, they show the standard MGL51334 application.

There can be more media in a narrower filter than a wider. Fram uses up space with their inward domed baseplate and pretty tall leaf spring. Some also have wide center tubes inside versus narrower, so it isn't accurate to look at the can from the outside and judge. The quality of the media and assembly is just as or more important.

Probably people just worrying about a "Wal Mart " filter that's made by WIX. I will use the ones I have for the 7,500 OCI.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Coin for coin, do you think more media flows better/easier/faster than less media?

Or are ya'll thinking it would get overloaded? Or are you just worrying just to worry?

If the media is exactly the same, then more media will produce less delta-p at the same flow. Oil flow will be the same in almost all filters ... it's the delta-p across them that will be different (slight, like +/- a few PSI) due to the filter's flow characteristics.

Positive displacement oil pump will always put the same flow out (at same engine RPM) until it hits the pump's pressure relief setting. You must be in the crazyoildude's "flow club" ... LoL
wink.gif

Since the 7317 and 9688 are interchangeable, this makes me wonder if they are making 1 filter for both applications.

Either way, I'd use it worry free.

I find this interesting. I had to order some 9688s from Walmart ship to store because they are always sold out but have the 7317s.

My atv uses a 7317 so I would always have one on hand.

Originally Posted By: Justin251

I find this interesting. I had to order some 9688s from Walmart ship to store because they are always sold out but have the 7317s.

You could also use the 3593a as another option. As far as I'm concerned, they are the same filter as the 9688.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back