The return of the SuperTech oil filter at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I've had wear or insolubles on a UOA Blackstone has directed me to inspect air path and air filter.

NEVER have they asked about what oil filter I use.

Anyone know what the insoluble particles size range is that they measure for in the UOA?

[/quote]

So, the safe answer is... something smaller than a Daisy BB.

Gotcha.
smile.gif

Good to see that Purolator is still playing it sleezy with the marketing. [/quote]

That rates a good belly laugh!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Every time I've had wear or insolubles on a UOA Blackstone has directed me to inspect air path and air filter.
What insoluble reading had them say this? I have seen all the way up to 0.4 and they say nothing. 0.6 is supposed to be the "limit".

I know some of you guys are familiar with the GM study related to the efficiency at X micron, and the decrease in wear. ACDelco oil filters are 98 percent single-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns which leads me to wonder why GM does not spec filters at say 99% efficiency @20 micron. And let's not forget about the rock catching Honda A02. All this leads me to believe that at some point it does not matter.

If in fact Wix is owned by Mann And Hummel and im pretty sure it is i hope they continue making the Wix Filter the way it has always been made because the new purolators with those super small oil holes in the center tube are not going over well in the heads of most of the guys at the engine rebuilding seminars and i was Not the one that brought that topic up.. A lot of the guys that buy bulk switched to Wix for a reason. A few of the shops are going with an Asian filter manufacturer which they say is pretty good.. They compare the Asian filter with the Hyundai filters which are very very good quality filters.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Yeah!...And if caught a free ride to jail. Of course the $2.84 filter now costs about $5000.00

Problem is the average Wal Mart does not prosecute anything under $25.00 they would be in court all day every day. It seems they ask you to sign something saying you won't ever go back to their store. My sons friend is in charge of security and that is what he tells us.

Now lets see the new super tech oil filter cut open already...LOL

Must be a lot of high end thieves at my Walmart then, because the police are always over there cuffing and stuffing them from the little mirror glass room. I think our Walmart has low tolerance.

Yeah!...And if caught a free ride to jail. Of course the $2.84 filter now costs about $5000.00

Problem is the average Wal Mart does not prosecute anything under $25.00 they would be in court all day every day. It seems they ask you to sign something saying you won't ever go back to their store. My sons friend is in charge of security and that is what he tells us.

Now lets see the new super tech oil filter cut open already...LOL

Yeahhhhhhhhh 2 dollars isn't a felony lol no 5k dollar fine

Doog you don't like the metal end caps and prefer the orange can? I guess to each his own or maybe im missing something all these years..

Quote:
If in fact Wix is owned by Mann And Hummel and im pretty sure it is i hope they continue making the Wix Filter the way it has always been made because the new purolators with those super small oil holes in the center tube are not going over well in the heads....

Wix is in fact owned by Mann&Hummel.

Inlet hole size is a non issue ime and observation. In fact it's been several years now that Affinia owned Wix filters, changed the baseplate geometry of several of their filters to get/maintain better engine block attachment. One example, the popular 51356 used in most Hondas and others was changed to the 57356.

As can be seen in the underlined links, as part the changes the inlet hole size changed the newer design using smaller inlet holes. I finished a 6500+ mile oci with the NG7356 design on a 3.0L Honda and it worked just fine. Still have it here dissected, might post pics but results were as expected, unsurprising. While that is but one anecdote, as popular as that application is haven't heard of or seen posted a rash of engines grenading with the newer design which by now would have been seen. For that matter, haven't heard or seen any. Wix did this for several other filters including at least one Mazda filter application too.

So smaller inlet holes in some applications is already part of Wix design and has been for some time.

Well when they start looking like the purolators with those restrictive looking oil holes in the center tube i will stop buying them also.
Asian filters are looking better every day..

You're referring to the slotted/louvered design now used in by M&H Puro line. Well that design has been used for some time by Champ including the previous Super Tech filter, and some STP filters that weren't/aren't ecore. And Clarcor Baldwin/Hasting has used the louvered design as long as I've seen them. The Baldwins are mentioned here recently as preferred by some.

As long the stamping machinery is operating properly, then it's no issue.

Imo, much ado about nothing.

Like has been said Baldwin uses the louvers. It isn't a question of flow, they are supposed to flow well, as long as the louvers are opened. Actually I like the round holes, but Fram products don't have a lot of them on the center tube compared to some others. If I were to worry about flow through the center tube, the Fram would be more of a concern than the louvered models. If the louvers are opened. I don't like louvers because I feel they can possibly release more material from the burrs on the edges than the punched out round holes.

I liked the old ST filters black color better. Otherwise I am keeping my eyes open for more info and some reports on how they hold up.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I, for one, am very happy that W*M has told Purolator that they're done, that I can now get these now instead, and they're back to the old $2.84 price.... WIN, WIN, WIN.

Looks like a fine, quality part. Wouldn't it be cool if Walmart quit carrying all the other brands of oil filters and just stocked the house Supertech brand?

I mean, not every place has to have every brand item.

AAP with Purolator
STP at AZ
Wix at that Irish sounding place

Well when they start looking like the purolators with those restrictive looking oil holes in the center tube i will stop buying them also.
Asian filters are looking better every day..

I just looked at a AC Delco, Mobil1, and a Puro Classic. The center tube holes all look to flow the same. They look far less capable than the Supertech, but the camera could have made the ST appear different.

So what do these center tube oil holes do? They let clean oil into the engine right? I also looked at a cartridge AC Delco for a Cobalt and the 'center tube' looked like it would flow ten times what the aforementioned canisters would.

So, does the center tube control/hinder flow? I have been thinking the filter element did most of the restricting, but who knows?

Also, maybe you do not want too much flow- for whatever reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back