Subaru Branded Oil Filters at Walmart? Hmmmm MP7317?

Pick one, Subaru changed their markings and packaging or ST did and maybe changed baseplate gasket. And how does a Subie baseplate compare to the ST?
I'm not saying they couldn't have been made by the same sourced company, but I was saying they were not switched filters at the store like your comment mentioned (post 13).

Have we ever seen a plastic Ecore ever from Subaru I don’t think so.
Maybe some models are now. Lately, not all models and sizes of a certain filter brand all have the same design features.

Maybe some models are now. Lately, not all models and sizes of a certain filter brand all have the same design features.
Doing some digging last night on other sites it may be true in the design I wonder now if it may have been a C19 issue and this was a band-aid. I will look at every one prior to purchasing for sure but I always do.

From the original post the Subaru filter appears to have the black nitrile ADBV like the champ Xl - only $3.47 at RA. Best I can tell it’s the same as the ST except for that.

Does the subi version have a higher bypass pressure? Or no? I always thought that was a function of the filter delta p but if the filters are the same??

What if it’s literally a cheap knock off, maybe even counterfeit and being sold by a 3rd party and nobody even knows (or cares) at ChinaMart?

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback which is a terrible idea for a filter mounted upside down. 🤦🏻‍♂️ it will be a dry cold start every morning. 🫣😬😟

What if it’s literally a cheap knock off, maybe even counterfeit and being sold by a 3rd party and nobody even knows (or cares) at ChinaMart?

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback which is a terrible idea for a filter mounted upside down. 🤦🏻‍♂️ it will be a dry cold start every morning. 🫣😬😟
Its a good question but I think unlikely. WalMart is a very disciplined, well run company with great supply chain and sourcing expertise.
Because they are doing both Honda and Subaru oil filters it appears to be a very structured marketing plan to get a share of these two branded filters. It will be great to see a cut open comparison.

Its a good question but I think unlikely. WalMart is a very disciplined, well run company with great supply chain and sourcing expertise.
Because they are doing both Honda and Subaru oil filters it appears to be a very structured marketing plan to get a share of these two branded filters. It will be great to see a cut open comparison.
And this goes right inline with what I've been seeing walmart doing lately. Just like the TV streaming channels having their own "Content" WM seems to be doing the same now. Walmart "Exclusive" items and so forth. Honda/Subaru being one of the biggest & longest lasting auto's this makes sense to offer their filters. Nice to be able to get OEM when needed locally in small towns when there is no dealers to visit.

If it's on the self at Walmart, I don't see how it could be a counterfeit. Walmart has direct contracts with manufacturers, not 3rd party counterfeiters.

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback ...
Because it's a Subaru OEM branded filter. It's possible the media might actually be different than the SuperTech. Only some ISO 4548-12 test info of both would say.

PS - many people think the oil Walmart sells is different or inferior because it has a different UCP on the jug. I called Valvoline about that and ask why the separate UCP and the guy said because Walmart has big direct contracts with Valvoline, and therefore Walmart bottles get their own UCPs. And he also said the oil in the bottles is exactly the same oil as Valvoline sold everywhere else.

Last edited:
So we have to almost believe that Subaru is using multiple suppliers to feed WM
In which it could be the case.

The same p/n filter (15208AA15A) would have to be bought from a Subaru dealer and compared to the Subaru filter of the same p/n sold by Walmart to see any differences or not.

They stopped using the original Fram supplied 15208AA15A about a year ago. The new ones have a different part number starting with SOA, which is printed on top of the filter in the OP's post. The newer Champ sourced filters are just plain blue with no Subaru branding and no "Engine" on top of the filter. They also have a flat gasket and not a P shaped gasket. Been this way for quite a while now.

I don't believe the two filters in the OP are the same. The Subaru filter probably has a nitrile adbv and higher bypass pressure spec.

They stopped using the original Fram supplied 15208AA15A about a year ago. The new ones have a different part number starting with SOA, which is printed on top of the filter in the OP's post. The newer Champ sourced filters are just plain blue with no Subaru branding and no "Engine" on top of the filter. They also have a flat gasket and not a P shaped gasket. Been this way for quite a while now.

I don't believe the two filters in the OP are the same. The Subaru filter probably has a nitrile adbv and higher bypass pressure spec.
I purchased one on Saturday and my WM just started putting them on the shelf so you are saying I have old stock from over a year ago ok. This is the filter I purchased.
IMG_0713.jpeg

From photos in post #1. Date codes look like:

Left (Subaru) = 76th day of 2023 (o7:08 hr).
Right (SuperTech) = April 13, 2023 (09:38 hr)

1690836596393.jpg

Yes them older blue USA Subaru filters were indeed Fram. Mr. Subaru compared them to the black OEM Japanese Subaru filters. I remember to stay clear of them OCOD’s rediguised in blue 😂

Y

yes it’s logo on the side it’s the same filter I have bought since 2018 now I’m not saying this isn’t a band-aid replacement filter people they are getting because C19.

Originally Subaru said it was because of supply issues but it has been about a year and they're still using the new style ones made by Champ. So maybe they just decided to go a different direction. I don't know if that has even been explained by them and probably won't be.

Back