Looking at a Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the consensus on these? Long term issues? Capability?

I am starting to look for a replacement for my aging Trailblazer. I am looking for a body on frame, solid rear axle, 4 wheel drive SUV. I hook up a small horse trailer from time to time and drive gravel roads.

I know a few Toyota Tacoma/4Runner owners and they all give them praise. I looked at Tahoe's for the size but cannot fathom to pay that price for another GM product. The old model Xterra's had deplorable rear seat ingress/egress and I am not sure if there is any other mid size SUV's like this around.

thanks

Toyota 4 Runners are very durable, reliable, vehicles. Body on frame, strong construction. Mine has lasted 25 years...so far...

It's not the best on gas, it gets about 14 MPG in the city, about 17 MPG on the highway, but the old 3.0 (3 point slow) wasn't efficiently exhausted...more recent versions are much better for power...but not a lot better for MPG.

Mine's been 4 wheeling, done commuting duty, hauled kids, rocks, lumber, kayaks, and never once broken down. Not once has it ever failed to start or left me by the side of the road.

Not once.

I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Not fancy or fuel-efficient, but they're reliable and tough.

I'm pondering another Tacoma at the moment.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Toyotas are one of the better vehicles on the market.
Bandito440 said:
Not fancy or fuel-efficient, but they're reliable and tough.

My son has an 05' Limited Edition 8-cyl 4-Runner. Its a solid vehicle and has had very little mechanical issues since he purchased it in 2013.

As far as mileage (mpg) is concerned. he gets about 18 in suburban driving (Santa Clarita, CA)...and 21-22 highway.

I would not hesitate in purchasing a previously owned 4-Runner, but they are hard to find because people keep them a long time..... because of their reliability.

Originally Posted By: dareo
i would get a V8 model 2005 to 2008.

My mom actually has a 2003 V-8 4 Runner in 4WD. it's reliable as an anvil. Way more power than mine, it's actually pretty quick but it's still thirsty. 15 in town. 20+ on the highway. Good towing capacity. Still body on frame.

She's got 200,000 miles on it. Never any major maintenance. Never broken down or failed to start.

These things are popular for that reason - reliability, ruggedness, utility.

And they command a pretty high price as a result.

I've got a 2015 SR5 Premium that's the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's made in Japan and shares a lot of engineering with the Lexus GX460. If you buy new avoid the junk Dunlop tires and get the crossbars for the roof rack. Interior is extremely durable and stylish enough. I think they all come with the navigation package that includes a very nice radio. Good luck.

What year are you looking for? That will drive the selection. 1995 and older was the 3.0, which was known for popping head gaskets. 3.4's were more solid. 4.7's are quite good; but be warned, 3.0/3.4/4.7 are timing belt motors. 4.0 is timing chain. I've read of a few issues on the 4.0--but then again, search hard enough and you'll find failures of any sort for anything.

Automatics for all years are pretty solid. Much like the rest of it. However, at least for the older models, beware of any ad that lists a recent radiator flush or new radiator. The trans cooler is inside the radiator, and they can mix fluids--which is not so good for the trans.

I want to say the V8 models could have some sort of fancy active shocks? Which could be expensive to replace. Want to say my brother has that setup, and he figures when the shocks are done he'll go the cheap route and do a lift kit instead.

Thanks everyone for the info! I have yet to hear anything bad about these vehicles. I am looking for a 5th gen, I have searched a few used.... not a pile, they definitely demand top dollar. Must be for a reason. I like to hang on to my vehicles for a while, not much of one to keep up with the Jones'.

The fuel mileage is not much of a worry for me. If it gets at or about the same mileage as the Trailblazer I will be fartin through silk. I can usually ping off 20-22mpg on the highway. I would be looking at the 4 liter. I am not a timing belt kind of guy and yes a V8 would be the cat's [censored] but I must confess that the 4.2 inline 6 in the TB hauls enough.

I was looking at the stock tires and as soon as they burn off I would upgrade, most likely to a 10 ply as I am sick of patch jobs. The grid roads out here eat tires.

The 4.7 is one of the most over engineered motors out there. The changing of a timing belt between 90,000 and 100,000 miles is a small price to pay for such a bullet proof motor. As far as the "fancy shocks" called X-REAS suspension most guys do not replace the factory systems-as there are many choices out there of conventional shocks. Most guys either just leave on the metal lines or they can be removed very quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I've always been in love with the power lowering tailgate window.

This. Awesome. No noise, great air flow in summer.

Not sure about the 5th gens but the 4th gen 4Runner would suck exhaust fumes in through the rear window if it was open. I had to get my exhaust cut and rerouted out behind the rear passenger side tire. It was a pretty common modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back