Oil for 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 3.0 liter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking oil recommendation for a 1990 Montero with the 6 cylinder 3.0 (6G72). 130k miles. Previous oils used are unknown.

Considering 15w-40 Delo 400, 10w-30 Delo 400, and 10-40 Mobil 1 high-mileage (all available at local WalMart, and all have elevated ZDDP - although unsure if that's even necessary). I have the usual concern that the synthetic Mobil 1 may enhance any existing leaks (haven't noticed major ones, but haven't had the rig long either).

Or, other ideas?

Most of the vehicle operation will be in 35-85 degree whether. Although, lows in the 20s and highs a bit over 100 are occasionally possible depending on where I am.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes the manufacturer allowed many different grades for that model, I really like the Mobil 1 HM 10w40 for your climate and application.

WalMart here sells that for $26 and change for a 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
I had the exact same engine in a couple of old dodges. They seemed to really like Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w-30. Do check the main seals when you change the timing belt. Those motors are major leakers.

Originally Posted By: Run
Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w-30.

I'd use your fave brand mineral oil in 10W30/10W40. My Mitsubishi 3.0's "hated" synth oils. Made them noisy and rough. Smooth as silk on conventional.

Higher ZDDP isn't that important for your truck. It typically only is needed on OHV engines with aggressive cams. You have a SOHC engine.

Assuming this is a 12-valve, Mobil 1 High Mileage would do - the valve seals on those, particularly the earlier models, harden over time.

MaxLife blend - coupons.com still has instant $10 off two jugs at Walmart. For $12+ for a 5 qt jug, that tough to beat. If you already have an existing leak, I'd stay away from any synthetic, even M1 HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back