PL 20195 cut no tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
11K miles 25 MO mobile 5-30 1999 mercury sable with 124K no burn no leaks town and highway. Filter looks good no tears, I always probe the pleats with an aluminum Oring removal tool to be sure.

Last edited:
Pics are always before I work them over looking for tears, pics are how they came out. And a PL went back on and will next time if there are no tears since I have one left

Last edited:
one thing to note, all the metal end caps fell off if touched once apart. I am not sure if they are ever glued on or just held by the spring pressure but they all fall off x3 filters

Last edited:
Looks rode hard. Oil is pretty black too. Can't tell if there might be some sludge in the pleats or not (?).

No sludge, oil was dark brown when poured into the recycle jugs, not black but pretty dark brown against the black oil pans. I use AC delco air filters. I run my aluminum O-ring probe up and down the pleats probing for tears and no sludge came back on it, just oil. But I usually only go 6-7.5K just got busy and let these three cars slip by. No sludge in the bottom of the can either and I did not really drain them before cutting. Just a note, all three PL1s I just cut had oil that looked about the same. Some I wiped off better but all were dark brown. Also this car had a lean code in and the injectors had ramped up full rich so not sure it that would make it darker or not. That is resolved now but had been going on for about 3 months. What looks like sludge is just oil, they were dripping wet when I took the pics before I probed them LOL...

Last edited:
I'm starting to think these are the best filters to use cuz their unmatched efficiency and they do hold up!

When I look at how tight together the pleats are on these I have to wonder if they restrict flow, especially when cold. I think this has been brought up before but now that I probed them and got a first hand at how close they are I have to wonder. As I said before I am using up my stock and moving to the Fram ultra and will be cutting them as I go.

until they are so close they block the valley? 90% of the pleats were touching on both sides?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
I would suggest that conclusion is a little far fetched at this time.

I respectfully disagree for my applications. Those for my cars were apparently never the ones with tearing issues. Also as I mentioned since I been here I haven't seen any tearing puros posted that are recent makes. Nor did mine.

whistle.gif

Though I personally wouldn't run a pureone for 11k, this filter held up extremely well.

But you better stop while you are ahead before it tears, your car catches on fire, motor blows up, blah blah blah. Get ready for detractors! Lol

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
I'm starting to think these are the best filters to use cuz their unmatched efficiency and they do hold up!

They do have the highest efficiency rating of any filter I know of. I use them on my truck constantly, but only run them to 5k miles since it is all short trips and city driving. Never a tear yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back