.32 Magnum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbob
My wife has trouble shooting a .38, how would the Magnum perform? Thanks
I'm not sure about the .32 mag yea or nea, but the smaller calibers tend to be smaller frame and are still a handfull for many. My smallest carry weapon is a Kahr CW380, and the recoil might be a handfull for those not fully acclimated with weapons and recoil. Performance can be subjective. Shot placement is where one needs to focus. Good luck with your search.

Buy her a .25 rim fire semi auto - light weight, easy to handle, huge shot capacity, and she won't flinch or hesitate or be scared like she would with a heavy recoiling p+ round

For what purpose is she shooting?

If it's for targets, then go with a .22 auto or revolver. Both are accurate, easy to shoot, nearly zero recoil.

If it's for defense, then the best way to reduce felt recoil is to shoot a larger/heavier gun with a softer round.

In a .38, for example, a full size pistol is far easier to handle than a snubbie or small frame pistol. Couple the largest frame she can comfortably hold with the slowest ammo, like .38 wadcutters.

My daughter learned to shoot at the age of 13. She handled a Glock 19 (that's a 9mm) quite well. Big enough to soften recoil, but small enough for her hands.

As was said above, be careful with small-frame guns, they're worse in the recoil department. Many small calibers only come in small frames and offer no real advantage in felt recoil.

Aside from the recoil mentioned above, a lot of women can not manage to pull the slide back on a small automatic such as the
Kahr CW380 due to the stout recoil spring that the smaller guns require. You might take a look at the Glock 42 380cal. I had one briefly and the recoil was very managable. I don't recall that the slide was difficult to operate. Take your wife to a gun store or gun show and let her handle a variety to see what she likes.
Be assured tho, that the tiny critters, with a few exceptions, no matter what caliber, will have a significant recoil. One exception mentioned above is a 25 cal. You might have to search to find one, but Colt and a couple others made them some years ago.

You referred to her shooting a 38, presumably a snubby. I reloaded some soft loads
for my wife for her first shooting lessons as she like my Ruger LCR 38 revolver over the auto and her reaction to my telling her about recoil, was "whats the big deal". She didn't know the bullets had been downloaded to reduce recoil. The point here is, that even downloaded bullets will have more punch than a very small caliber, and if the wife is comfortable shooting that pistol, then you're ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Buy her a .25 rim fire semi auto - light weight, easy to handle, huge shot capacity, and she won't flinch or hesitate or be scared like she would with a heavy recoiling p+ round

They don't make a 25 rimfire. 25ACP is centerfire and is junk as defensive round. In ww1 they were used as trench pistols by allied soldiers who privately purchased them and soon found out that sometimes they would not even penetrate the skull of a German.

Not to mention rimfire ammo in general (such as 22 long rifle) is lacking in reliability of ignition, and that is why it was supplanted fairly quickly in the 19th century by centerfire ignition.

If you have someone that is very recoil sensitive, you can get a 32 caliber pistol chambered in the Federal 327 Magnum(Ruger makes one). If that kicks too much you can load them with 32 H&R mags, and if that kicks too much then you can even go down to 32 S&W long.

That or just get a heavy 357 mag revolver and chamber mild 38 Special loads. The heavy gun will tame perceived recoil. If you go to too anemic of a round to try to cheat Newtonian physics you will not have an efficient, effective, and possibly reliable weapon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbob
My wife has trouble shooting a .38, how would the Magnum perform? Thanks

What gun are you shooting, what is the barrel length, what ammo? Will this be carried or just a night stand gun?

Originally Posted By: Olas

25ACP is the absolute worst self defense caliber there is. Even a .22LR is easily 50% better.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Not to mention rimfire ammo in general (such as 22 long rifle) is lacking in reliability of ignition,

Have to disagree. Quality .22 ammo in a quality pistol has no reliability of ignition. Maybe if you're shooting Remington Bucket of Junk ammo in granddad's old 19th century single shot.. Availability of quality .22 ammo is another story, still not good.

Nobody mentioned .22 WRM (magnum). Might not be bad in a Ruger LCR but availability is going to be a problem.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Not to mention rimfire ammo in general (such as 22 long rifle) is lacking in reliability of ignition.....

I Have to disagree.

I would too. In over 45 years of shooting countless rimfire rifles, pistols, and revolvers, I've had very few "duds". Certainly no more than any centerfire caliber. And I am still shooting tens of thousands of rounds of inexpensive bulk ammo I purchased for as low as $8.88 for a 550 round carton back in the mid 80's and early 90's. No matter, it goes bang every time.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
[...] be careful with small-frame guns, they're worse in the recoil department.
x 1000! The S&W 342 Titanium was a major POS in the recoil department. A friend of mine bought one for his wife and I shot it with the lightest loads and the recoil actually hurt the joint where the thumb joins your hand after only two shots to the point where you had difficulty holding it. I have very large hands and larger calibers are no problem for me, but the 342 was a no go.

My vote goes for the Taurus 738 TCP .380 Semi-Automatic. It is on the heaver side of the .380 pocket pistols hence less felt recoil. I have it in 9mm with no issues. The 9mm is heavier than many 9mm pocket pistols if that is an issue for carry. The .380 recoil is manageable but the 9mm can be snappy in the hand.

In any event quite a bit of range time in needed for a new shooter with any weapon.

Moving below .38 you start to run out of options fast.

Women have trouble with autos so revolver is the way to go. Racking a slide is difficult for small hands.

Can you find target .38 rounds near you?

Maybe a local range can have a few dozen hollowpoints made that are loaded to the minimum velocity? If they expand, great, but if they don't I think she is much further ahead than a .22.

I guess the final option is to get a .22 revolver, but at that point it could get scary if she can't put someone on crack down in a few shots and he manages to grab her.

She just needs a confidence boost with the .38, it is really the only option she realistically has.

And remember, if someone gets hit with a lightly loaded 38 it may not blow them over like in a movie but in most cases they are out of the fight trying to figure out how to survive. They won't be certain how bad they are injured and no matter where they are hit it's going to hurt. A person that is committing a crime for short term profit is most likely going to cut and run if they are able, with no interest in getting shot again, or geting caught by the police.

Knock down power, what ever that means is a nice concept but putting a small caliber round on target is the way to stop the fight right now. In FBI studies of the past, people rarely return fire after being hit the first time. They hide, run or die. The shoot outs in the movies are a rare occurrence and usually happen only when bad guys are going after a high value target, not an ordinary citizen.

Practice at the range with a variety of weapons can help reduce sensitivity to recoil and narrow down the choices for a self defense weapon. Given several weapons choose the one that you are most accurate with and feel comfortable handling.

S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece with four inch barrel. Beautiful, well made weapon. Heavy enough that recoil is light. Wish I had a Model 15 again. Traded the Model 15 ,new, never fired, for the the Model 18 almost fifty years ago.I was living in a very remote location on the Navajo reservation and thought I would have a lot of time to shoot. I didn't.. My 18 is about a 96%/ 97% gun. About 250 rounds fired through it.. I have the original box,unopened tool kit, was paper and S&W brochures. Advice on trading my 18 would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece with four inch barrel. Beautiful, well made weapon. Heavy enough that recoil is light. Wish I had a Model 15 again. Traded the Model 15 ,new, never fired, for the the Model 18 almost fifty years ago.I was living in a very remote location on the Navajo reservation and thought I would have a lot of time to shoot. I didn't.. My 18 is about a 96%/ 97% gun. About 250 rounds fired through it.. I have the original box,unopened tool kit, was paper and S&W brochures. Advice on trading my 18 would be appreciated.

I've always liked the Model 15. This is my Model 15, with the Model 14 under it. They produced very few Model 14's with the full under lug barrel. Both are pre lock. Both are strictly range guns. Neither has ever seen a holster.

From reports, the 327 magnum is very snappy, and I say this because the writers praising it reference it to a 357 magnum. Have you tried Hornady 110gr. FTX bullet loaded to 38 special? Not a hard hitter, but as has been pointed out; hits count. The FTX bullet tests very well in gel tests I've seen on YT.
Many people that have fired the Ruger LCR have good things to say about the ergonomics of the grip mitigating even 357 magnum recoil. I've handled one, and was amazed at the smooth trigger pull, and the grip angle really was different than a GP or SP.

A 32 H&R mag should be lower recoil for you/her. 327 Federal will almost certainly be poorly received. :)

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Not to mention rimfire ammo in general (such as 22 long rifle) is lacking in reliability of ignition,

Have to disagree. Quality .22 ammo in a quality pistol has no reliability of ignition. Maybe if you're shooting Remington Bucket of Junk ammo in granddad's old 19th century single shot.. Availability of quality .22 ammo is another story, still not good.

Nobody mentioned .22 WRM (magnum). Might not be bad in a Ruger LCR but availability is going to be a problem.

Disagree all you want, but there is a reason that rimfire was relegated to uber small calibers very quickly in the 19th century when centerfires came on the scene. They have issues. And comparing experiences with shooting at paper to the obstacles and conditions faced in personal carry or military duty is very apples to oranges. Centerfire is simply a better system. Otherwise we might still have 44 caliber rimfire cartridges for pistols and rifles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back