Fram High Mileage filter - what are the additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memphis I agree that if it were a TG with the HM additive basket I'd be much more likely to try it. I like the efficiency and silcone ADBV of the TG. The EG doesn't inspire as much confidence.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
............Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. ..............

Sounds like it would be better to put this filter on halfway through an oil change. It dissolves too quickly. When oil is new, you don't need the fresh additive kick, only when its nearing the end of a long oil change interval. New rule: Only change oil filters halfway thru an oil change interval, never at the beginning, when using this thing.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: Motorking
............Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. ..............

Sounds like it would be better to put this filter on halfway through an oil change. It dissolves too quickly. When oil is new, you don't need the fresh additive kick, only when its nearing the end of a long oil change interval. New rule: Only change oil filters halfway thru an oil change interval, never at the beginning, when using this thing.

If the car has high blow by then you probably want 3k intervals.

if the car has high blowby, chances are it will always have a fresh stream of new oil going through it, I don't see any need to shorten the OCI. If it has that much blowby, its only on borrowed time anyway, and the trick here is not to run it out of oil.

Is there any danger of a piece/portion of the "gel" in the basket
"breaking off" and plugging a small oil passage somewhere?

(Since it is placed in the oil outlet of the filter?)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Is there any danger of a piece/portion of the "gel" in the basket
"breaking off" and plugging a small oil passage somewhere?

(Since it is placed in the oil outlet of the filter?)

Always a possibility ... but the gel goo probably isn't brittle and just "melts away" in the hot oil as time goes on with use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back