Target closing all stores in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Horton's are all over in Buffalo. Wish we had a few Harvey's burger stores. Haven't been in Canada for 20 years because of the border [censored]. Happy to have the Canadian shopper here to support our economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
17,600 employees out of work. Not good news. Maybe it's time for a government bailout?
You mean a taxpayer bailout. The governments only have money they have taken from others[or plan to take]

Yes-Target is a gal's store now..but it wasn't at all that way in the begining. In the 60's I sold photo gear in the 5th Target store opened. It had a full sporting goods dept along with selling sporting firearms. The auto dept was very good with a garage/shop for tires/batteries. A lot of the "sales" people I worked with were full time photogs with a little side job at Target. They KNEW photography and we sold great quality brands. Now you go into a Target and you are your own 'sales' person-for mostly junk the gals shop for.Too bad!

It has been a disaster for Target, since they headed north. I've heard numerous stories of the empty shelves.

Down here, shopping at Target (groceries) is a nice change of pace. Quiet, kids are well behaved, people are respectful for the most part.

The direct opposite of what a typical trip to Walmart is generally like.

The Mom watching isn't bad either.....
smile.gif

Last edited:
The Roll out of Target stores in Canada has to be one of the most botched in history. Much hoopla before the opening, then what a let down. Poorly stocked stores of high priced merchandise aimed at women. I walk through the store and strained to fine one thing I might buy but couldn't. The automotive area was a small little display of Chinese junk and a few bottles of off brand oil. I never went back.

Walmart on the other hand has been a huge success. I was in Walmart today (don't ask) and spoke to an employee about it. He told me they hired extra staff at the stores when Target opened to offer better service and compete. He said they will likely cut back staff now the Target is done.

When Target had the date breach a while ago Canadian store date was safe, as they used TD Bank for card processing, and they used chip card technology.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I've never been impressed by target. They do have some stuff, but very limited overall. there auto dept just plain sux.

I agree their auto selection is junk..

Regarding the canadian Target stores, im sad to see them go..18,000 jobs is alot..they did a terrible job in Canada. Too many stores at once, distribution chain issues, bare shelves and just a blah experience. If they could take the Plattsburgh or any US Target store and drop it in Canada, I would say it would of done alot better. They are the example not to follow when expanding. Not only that they needed a more well rounded CEO to handle things. Complete lack of vision. I feel frustrated because I feel Target should have and could have suceeded here..you cant get customers if you have nothing to sell...not that I think Target is great but I do feel it was at least a bit of competition to walmart. Target in Canada had a useless grocery section, and lacked in so many ways. They needed to market it as a one stop shop for everything..oh well too bad.

Time to bring back Zellers LOL!!

I went once, about a month after they had opened here, shelves were empty, it looked just like they were going OUT of business.

Prices were no better than anywhere else.

I said to my wife "Why did they bother opening a store like this" she said "Well, I won't bother coming back"

I guess others felt the same. Stupid, stupid stupid!

Agreed, Target in Canada was/is a complete disaster!
The sooner they turn out the lights the better, their effort in this country was lame at best.

OT:Tim Hortons closed stores in Southern New England. Like it or not, this is Dunkin Donuts home turf. Krispy Kreme also could not get traction even with just 3 stores.

I always liked TH's coffee especially the paper cup smell that came with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT:Tim Hortons closed stores in Southern New England. Like it or not, this is Dunkin Donuts home turf. Krispy Kreme also could not get traction even with just 3 stores.

Likewise; Krispy Kreme was another flop up here. Never took off for some reason.

They bought the defunct Bess Eaton chain & made most of them TH. It bombed. Honestly, I found their prices high, food fair at best, and the coffee undrinkable.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

When Target had the date breach a while ago Canadian store date was safe, as they used TD Bank for card processing, and they used chip card technology.

I have a Target/RBC credit card. No mention of TD.

The big joke is why they simply didn't transfer the Target
model in the US directly to Canada like Wally World did?

Seems like the US executive manglement simply wanted to have shareholder see they will a presence in Canada...typical incompetent, but greedy, ivory tower mentality.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

They bought the defunct Bess Eaton chain & made most of them TH. It bombed. Honestly, I found their prices high, food fair at best, and the coffee undrinkable.

+1

They also underwhelm in Ohio, in my opinion.

Yeah - I was disappointed when we got Tim Hortons here. I thought they were going to be something great and ... no. The coffee is worse than DD, I feel like I'm going to get diabetes when I look at the pastries and the prices are crazy.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yeah - I was disappointed when we got Tim Hortons here. I thought they were going to be something great and ... no. The coffee is worse than DD, I feel like I'm going to get diabetes when I look at the pastries and the prices are crazy.

That pretty much mirrors my take on DD's coffee
21.gif
It is like drinking bilge water, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back