2005 Subaru Forester XT 5spd Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
No way I would keep an Expedition unless the company I worked for paid for my fuel.

Sell it and buy a Honda CRV.

LOL, a CRV is no Expedition replacement.

No way I would keep an Expedition unless the company I worked for paid for my fuel.

The Expedition has real 4x4 and an 8,800lb towing capacity. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned and has been relatively inexpensive in terms of maintenance as well. It would be foolish to get rid of something that is mechanically excellent and incredibly useful just because it is a bit hard on fuel. It will simply be driven less in the future.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The Expedition has real 4x4 and an 8,800lb towing capacity. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned and has been relatively inexpensive in terms of maintenance as well. It would be foolish to get rid of something that is mechanically excellent and incredibly useful just because it is a bit hard on fuel. It will simply be driven less in the future.

Have you found an insurance company that charges a reasonable amount for the extra car? That has always been the killer for having an extra car on the road for us.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Have you found an insurance company that charges a reasonable amount for the extra car? That has always been the killer for having an extra car on the road for us.

I'm with Wawanesa. Since the Expie will probably be parked for the summer, I'll reduce the coverage on it. When winter comes around, that coverage will switch with the M5, as it will be parked.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your wife don't mind driving stick shift ?

We are working on that at the moment, LOL! I love driving it, and this car is a lot of fun. Not as fast as the M5 (and not as luxurious) but still a great little car with a fair amount of interior space, great layout, comfortable....etc.

Originally Posted By: JTK
How is the shifting on your Soob's 5MT?

I'm still love/hate with my new XV's 5MT.

Pretty good actually.

Only thing about the shifting is that sometimes it is hard to get into first. Go to 2nd then first in that case and it goes in perfectly, but still annoying when it does it. Reminds me of the T5 in my Mustang, it would do the same thing, and 2nd to 1st always "fixed" it too
21.gif

Yeah, I find the gate and throw on my new 2014's 5MT to be excellent. It's just the process of getting a smooth take-off, 1-2 and sometime 2-3 is frustrating. It's a real common complaint in Subaru world.

I've driven other E-throttle 5 and 6MTs and they were smooth as butta in comparison.

Only thing about the shifting is that sometimes it is hard to get into first. Go to 2nd then first in that case and it goes in perfectly, but still annoying when it does it. Reminds me of the T5 in my Mustang, it would do the same thing, and 2nd to 1st always "fixed" it too
21.gif

I have found that with a lot of manual transmissions as well, the T5s in my Mustangs would do that often, and the T56 in my 98 Formula as well. The Corvette's manual does it occasionally too.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
AWD turbos are not that good on gas. Have you checked the mpg rating?

18/22 IIRC. Which is WAAAAAAAAY better than the Expedition.

Exactly. My G37 isn't quite an economy car, but compared to my F-150, it sure is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, I find the gate and throw on my new 2014's 5MT to be excellent. It's just the process of getting a smooth take-off, 1-2 and sometime 2-3 is frustrating. It's a real common complaint in Subaru world.

I've driven other E-throttle 5 and 6MTs and they were smooth as butta in comparison.

JTK, are you shifting at 3k> rpms? I know some people don't bring the rpms up enough to get a smoother shift. I also rev match for downshifting that works great.

Unfortunately, due to an issue the dealer and then Subaru couldn't resolve, the dealer has bought back the car from us and put us into something else.

In a nutshell:

The first week we had the car there was a smell of gas after you drove it after filling it. It eventually threw a code for an EVAP leak which lead to the replacement of the filler neck, which got rid of that code.

However, a few days later it got another CEL (which subsequently disables the cruise) for a misfire on cylinders 1 & 3. Thinking it was possibly plugs (and one of them did end up being cracked) the dealer did plugs. Code persisted. Sometimes #1, sometimes #3, sometimes both. It would take 100 or so Km for the code(s) to return. They swapped the coils to the other side of the engine, issue did not follow the coils. Found a TSB for the EVAP solenoid at #1 runner that pointed to being a potential source for the issue. That was chased and did not result in resolve. At that point, since Subaru's are not their specialty, it was sent to the local Subaru dealer.

The Subaru dealer had it for a week, had advised that there was some applicable TSB, which didn't end up being the case, and they replaced a coil. We figured (myself and my dealer) based on the past experience, that this would not fix the problem. We were correct. Back to Subaru it went, so we had been without it for what amounted to a month now and seemed no closer to the issue being fixed, which may be an ECM or something else, at this point I didn't really care. My wife was sick of the problem and so was I.

The dealer offered to buy it back and put us in something else that suited our fancy, so that's the route we've taken.

Quite an unfortunate chain of events as we liked the vehicle for what it offered and with the maintenance history so well document it was extremely surprising to both myself and the selling dealer to be having this type of issue with it.

They can't all be perfect though. None of this showed up on the relatively brief test driving we did with the vehicle so we made it a point to request an extended test drive of its replacement, which we had for four days and put around 500Km on it. Its replacement will be documented in another thread.

not a wonderful Subaru story, but a great outcome due to amazing customer service.

I won't spoil the surprise, I'm sure you guys will LOVE the replacement...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
not a wonderful Subaru story, but a great outcome due to amazing customer service.

I won't spoil the surprise, I'm sure you guys will LOVE the replacement...

I didn't see anything too exciting on the dealers webpage? AWD Journey? Knowing Overkill, I don't think that's it....
I'm sure he wanted something like an Audi S4 Avant, but those are pretty rare in these parts!

I wonder if it burned a valve/lost compression. It sounds familiar however for better or worst spent close to $3k getting it fixed and pleathora other items. Hoping for another 3-5 years out of ours.

Good/lucky route dumping it!

I bought a new 2002 Subaru Impreza RS that was a lemon, by my definition. Subaru didn't think so, so after a year and half of troubles, I sold it. I lost faith in Subaru and the bad experiences my ex-wife later had with a 2009 STI reinforced that opinion.

I talked to Overkill about the issues quite a few times.

The subaru dealer wasn't interested in fixing it apparently.

As they did no troubleshooting for internal damage to the engine.

Burnt valve, etc etc.

Replacement car post is up here

Seems an even better car and kudos to the dealer on customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back