Goodyear Integrity's from Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco, as one example, WILL NOT mount a pair of new tires on the front of a car. Why, customer safety, and product liability.

If a car understeers (plows) off the road, it is the drivers fault, he/she was going too fast for conditions. If a car oversteers and spins off the road, it is the cars fault, period. This is how lawyers see it, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Thus, every modern car is set up to understeer... and tire dealers are cautious as well.

In my experience, new on the front and 1/2 or better tread on the rear has never been a problem. In extreme conditions, like a high speed curve in a down pour, yes, oversteer MIGHT happen.

When the rear tires are VERY worn, and you put new tires up front, the likelihood of a spin in wet or snowy conditions increases substantially.

That being said, every person I know with a FWD car puts new tires on the front...
Be reasonable about it, and most will never have a problem.

But know that if you do have a problem, it might involve a spin...

Originally Posted By: RobtE
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
But hey, what do I and Capri Racer know, right? He's got upteen years in the tire industry. I've worked with tires since I was 8, owned my own shop, and now work for the nations largest independent tire distributor talking, living, and breathing tires.

Again being the Devil's advocate, I begin by acknowledging both your bona fides. In the event that we need to design, install, sell, or repair a tire, your expertise will be invaluable.

Returning to this question alone, however, no one has denied that on a FWD car the tires are doing the vast majority of the work.

The hypothetical did not involve two new tires and two bald tires. It involved two new tires and two used tires.

It seems indisputable that with the exception of the hydroplaning/skidding in the rear question in each and every parameter - taking off, steering, stopping - the new tires on the front would accomplish the job better than the used tires.

I would also suggest that with some exceptions due to climatic conditions most of our driving does not involve hydroplaning/skidding.

If the worn tires are sufficient to steer and brake the car, they should be sufficient to ride along on the rear of the car.

The driver, of course, should be aware of the potential for a traction difference front-to-back, just as he would be were the new tires on the back.

In addition safe driving practices should be followed - don't slam the brakes on in a skid, don't "Go, go, go", steer in the direction of the skid.

It strikes me a very good case can be made for putting the new tires on the front considering all of this.

That's beautiful!! I'm going to save this post and repost it every time this stupid question pops up. Like someone here said, common sense isn't so common...

Wayne

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BTW great deal on these integrities! They're a mediocre tire but I'd rather run them than no-name stuff. I suspect GY is dumping them through WM to not (directly) undercut their loyal dealers.

Kinda...Ineggies are finally going bye bye!

Originally Posted By: RobtE

It seems indisputable that with the exception of the hydroplaning/skidding in the rear question in each and every parameter - taking off, steering, stopping - the new tires on the front would accomplish the job better than the used tires.

I would also suggest that with some exceptions due to climatic conditions most of our driving does not involve hydroplaning/skidding.

The driver, of course, should be aware of the potential for a traction difference front-to-back, just as he would be were the new tires on the back.

My advice regarding tires is just this: buy the best tires for the worst conditions they will encounter...

Getting great wet-traction tread here in south Florida is crucial in our months of torrential thunderboomers where hydroplaning and skidding are very real dangers, especially at highway speeds.

NO one stops or pulls over and we barely slow down even if we can only just make out the car in front of us...crazy, I know but there it is, or should I say HERE it is, so beware when taking your family for a Florida vacation in the rainy season, May through November...and wear good rain tread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back