Cat defends child attacked by dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cat-rescues-boy-being-attacked-3541519

Some feisty [censored]!

Darn censor, I used the 'P' word for a cute little furry cat
33.gif

Last edited:
Pretty awesome and quick defense on the part of the cat. A lot of people write cats off as lazy, but they know who "their people" are and will defend them.

The dog's behavior is pretty disturbing. That is not at all normal behavior and is totally unacceptable, especially considering they let the dog roam unleashed. Apparently the dog is "under observation," lucky for the dog and the owner considering that was obviously a totally unprovoked attack off the dog's own turf. Really disturbing behavior. Probably the result of an uncaring owner who thought a dog would be a fun holiday gift or something without any real attempt at raising it or caring for it properly. Dogs need training and an outlet for energy, and obviously this dog has neither. Totally unacceptable.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Pretty awesome and quick defense on the part of the cat. A lot of people write cats off as lazy, but they know who "their people" are and will defend them.

The dog's behavior is pretty disturbing. That is not at all normal behavior and is totally unacceptable, especially considering they let the dog roam unleashed. Apparently the dog is "under observation," lucky for the dog and the owner considering that was obviously a totally unprovoked attack off the dog's own turf. Really disturbing behavior. Probably the result of an uncaring owner who thought a dog would be a fun holiday gift or something without any real attempt at raising it or caring for it properly. Dogs need training and an outlet for energy, and obviously this dog has neither. Totally unacceptable.

I thought that the tricycle was probably squeaking and that's what attracted the dog.

I had a customer who had a similar situation happen but the victim was an elderly golden retriever, and the perpetrator was a doberman. The cat delivered $300 worth of lacerations across the doberman's nose. Needless to say my customer balked when his neighbor asked him to cover the vet bill.

From then on the doberman stayed in his yard.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Oh my god the lady didn't move the kid inside and then just left him there...

I'm speechless.

She went after the dog and neighbors. Dad was somewhere near by, the video was just edited.

Almost 10 years ago my cousin, 18 mos old, was dragged under their neighbors car by the neighbors pitbull. Out of fear of seeing him get mauled by the pit, I reached under the car to pull them out. I ended up grabbing the pits hind leg and he let go of my cousin to turn on me. I continuously swung him by his leg to hit head against the owners car, I did not mean to kill him but humans are dangerous when adrenalized out of fear and anger. The owner threatened to sue me, I was 19, and gave two doodoos of what he wanted to do. My cousin until this day has scarring on his arms, back, face, and head. Worst of all is his phobia for dogs. I love dogs, but this owner trained the pit to be aggressive. He used to fight them.

I'm glad this boys injuries were relatively minor with no arterial bleeding. Sad that he too was a victim of unpredictable animal behavior. Thank you Mr. Cat/Cheetah, I hope someone treated this cat to a T-Bone steak and a six pack.

Last edited:
There's a video floating around out there taken from an in home security camera of a cat "protecting" children from their baby-sitter.

I don't remember what the baby-sitter did to draw the aggression, but it was nothing meant to harm the child.

I could actually see my cat doing something like this to protect me.

I can't stand dogs. Or maybe more specifically their owners, but I'm still not a dog fan. I never sustained injuries like in the movie, but I've been charged and hassled too many times to care for them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can't stand dogs. Or maybe more specifically their owners, but I'm still not a dog fan. I never sustained injuries like in the movie, but I've been charged and hassled too many times to care for them.

Back in 2007/2008, when I was living at my parents' for summer off of college, I was charged and chased too many times by agressive dogs. The county has leash laws, but no one in the village was following them.

Was not fun being chased by them.

To this day, I will NOT walk anywhere in the village. It's a shame, as everything is less than 1/2 mile away.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I kind of agree on the owners part. People pick the wrong breeds as house pets and then don't discipline their dog like its a dog. It's not a little person, and either your the alpha and set the rules, or it sets the rules...
I like having our dogs and they have saved many times their weight in goats and chickens from predators, but if they start to get aggressive when they shouldn't be then they are done. They are too big and strong to do anything else and be a responsible owner.

According to the article that dog was known to not like kids or bicycles. Sounds like a great animal to have in a residential neighbourhood
smirk.gif
Also, it has apparently been surrendered to be put down. Good. But that shouldn't have happened in the first place. As a parent, if that was my child, that dog would have been put down on the spot. Probably with whatever was close by, like a shovel.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

According to the article that dog was known to not like kids or bicycles. Sounds like a great animal to have in a residential neighbourhood
smirk.gif
Also, it has apparently been surrendered to be put down. Good. But that shouldn't have happened in the first place. As a parent, if that was my child, that dog would have been put down on the spot. Probably with whatever was close by, like a shovel.

I think your outrage is a bit misplaced. Lots of dogs have a herding type of instinct, and chasing someone and grabbing them by the legs isn't that surprising--I've been chased by enough dogs while riding to know! It's the owner who should be getting the shovel to the head! That whole thing is on the owner more than the dog.

I simply don't understand the "free range dog" thing, particularly if you already know your dog "doesn't like kids or bicycles"? really?

I'm not at all surprised by the cat's behavior though-both of mine are incredibly territorial and protective, and all of dogs in my house are deathly afraid of them. I think the funniest part is after the cats scares off the dog, he continues to go after him!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
As a parent, if that was my child, that dog would have been put down on the spot. Probably with whatever was close by, like a shovel.

Exactly. The owner can threaten to sue all they want. I'm a dog lover, but if a dog charges at me and attacks me or someone else, I will do whatever necessary to defend myself if that means taking the dog's life.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I think your outrage is a bit misplaced. Lots of dogs have a herding type of instinct, and chasing someone and grabbing them by the legs isn't that surprising--I've been chased by enough dogs while riding to know! It's the owner who should be getting the shovel to the head! That whole thing is on the owner more than the dog.

I simply don't understand the "free range dog" thing, particularly if you already know your dog "doesn't like kids or bicycles"? really?

I'm not at all surprised by the cat's behavior though-both of mine are incredibly territorial and protective, and all of dogs in my house are deathly afraid of them. I think the funniest part is after the cats scares off the dog, he continues to go after him!

I think his outrage is perfectly placed. He's not expressing anger at the dog as much as he is the owner who is allowing the aggressive dog to exist in a neighborhood that has children.

I believe that most people who have even a basic understanding of dog behavior understand that most of what they are prone to do can be directly linked to how the owner handles it.

The problem in this scenario is that no matter how aggressive the dog might be, which would be due to the owner, you still can't chase the owner down with a shovel to stop the dog from attacking your kid. Clearly that's not going to protect your kid, as satisfying as it might be.

The video says that the guy captured it all on his home surveillance system. Do those systems take snapshots of different areas of the property, jumping from one to the other? Or are they triggered by motion? Because this is put together like a movie: action on one side of the SUV, then action on the other, then cut back to the first setup.

I'm not suggesting it's faked; the attack by the dog clearly was the real thing. I simply wonder how they got it on film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back