Expensive vs Inexpensive Cat Foods

No one has mentioned 9 Lives cat food, which is the former Del Monte line (before that, Heinz) and is owned by Smuckers now. My old toothless gray tuxedo loves canned 9 Lives and seems to thrive on it.

There was some nasty publicity about certain types of Purina cat food being contaminated several years ago. Some pets actually died from it.

I got two 3 lb bags of this dry cat food, it was quite a deal at $4.24 each and BOGO free.
My cats like both kinds, the chicken and salmon.

Evolve pet food
Actually, this is pretty good stuff for the price its excellent. We have picked up a bag from time to time in Aldi.
If I somehow missed posting it somewhere in my insane long posts, we feed a small about of dry kibble for breakfast for our dog, like 1/3 cup followed by roughly 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lactose free skim milk. (dont give milk to cats)
Its dinner time that is our dogs feast, quality canned food (one of which is Purina Beyond Organic and sometimes just Beyond, again its just one of a mix of 6 or more different brands and one of the lowest cost)), topped with human food such as chicken (we actually buy whole cooked chickens from Costco (sometimes Sams club) and then cut it up at home and put it in plastic bags, freeze them and one at a time keep a bag in the fridge, sprinkle on top of his evening food along with some fresh apple.

In case you missed it, I do know from when I was a kid a cat can be far more finicky about food and as I said, I think you made a great find with the Evolve which my list wasnt at all complete in the other posts.
Not sure why but OUR government was looking into reports regarding grain free pet (dog) foods of various brands, the government hasn't been able to find a cause, all they know is certain dogs have got seriously sick and it was the grain free varieties with peas.
I am not in anyway saying to avoid food with Peas but it makes a case to feed different foods during the week and not the same food everyday of the week for the life of the pet.

I cant remember the whole story and have to get to the gym this morning, so cant look it up. I dont get crazy over the subject but I do try to avoid dry food for my dogs with peas though almost impossible at times with high quality food so I actually prefer to see some rice in there too. I rather have rice grains and when they are like the ones in Evolve that is great, for some reason in society and the internet and marketing people see "grain free" as the mark of high quality but anyone can make anything grain free, I rather just have a well made food to feed, grain or not. One cheap ingredient IS when a food has "brewers" rice, which is the left over rice from the brewing process.

When I bought Evolve Dog food, I was stunned by the quality for the price, then if you think about it, its really how all pet foods should be priced, the markup is amazingly high compared to human food. Great find and post for others, high quality, low price, I would even alternate with a dry Purina Beyond and personally I would prefer the Evolve that has the rice over the grain free but that's just me, a bit over the top at times, in case you haven't notice. :unsure:

BTW- I learned this stuff by subscribing to the "Whole Dog Journal" which is an advertising free publication, they review canned and dry dog food on an annual basis and have an approved list and how they get there. Even though its not related to cats, the manufactures are pretty much the same. Sometimes pet foods end up getting recalled, mistakes in processing ect can be a disaster. I know certain large companies have been involved in recalls but they are so large the pieces were able to be put together to know something was the food, Im sure bad things happen to others as well but maybe never know. Anyway, its why I dont feed the same food everyday, no matter the brand at any cost.

Last edited:
Kiki's faves are Purina One dry in the mornings for her breakfast, and Rachael Ray Nutrish Purrfect Entrees wet in the evenings for her dinner. She purrs the whole time she's eating😻 I also give her Greenies oven roasted chicken flavored dental treats.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned 9 Lives cat food, which is the former Del Monte line (before that, Heinz) and is owned by Smuckers now. My old toothless gray tuxedo loves canned 9 Lives and seems to thrive on it.

There was some nasty publicity about certain types of Purina cat food being contaminated several years ago. Some pets actually died from it.
Nine Lives Complete Cat Food
Barely contains any animal protein of quality except way down the list some Salmon Meal.
Its mostly all corn. Chicken by products are every part of the chicken not fit for human consumption, also has "animal digest"
and it doesnt even label from what kind of animal.
Ingredients =
WHOLE GROUND CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, SOYBEAN MEAL, WHOLE WHEAT, MEAT & BONE MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), ANIMAL DIGEST, SOYBEAN HULLS, SALMON MEAL, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA PELLETS, SALT, PHOSPHORIC ACID, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (COLOR), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K ACTIVITY), VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN), POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MINERALS (FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE), TAURINE, RED 40, LACTIC ACID, BHA (USED AS PRESERVATIVE), YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, BLUE 1, ROSEMARY EXTRACT.

Now compare the above (9Lives) to the superior ingredients of well priced low cost Evolve Pet Food below mentioned by Mr_Luke =

DEBONED CHICKEN, CHICKEN MEAL, TURKEY MEAL, WHOLE GROUND BROWN RICE, PEAS, OAT GROATS, CHICKEN FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), DRIED PLAIN BEET PULP, NATURAL CHICKEN FLAVOR, FISH MEAL, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, TAURINE, CALCIUM SULFATE, SALT, DL-METHIONINE, DRIED KELP, DRIED CRANBERRIES, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, NIACIN, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN), MINERALS (COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE, IRON SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE), DRIED LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS REUTERI FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED BIFIDOBACTERIUM ANIMALIS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED ENTEROCOCCUS FAECIUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT.

1647021013822.jpeg

I would even alternate with a dry Purina Beyond and personally I would prefer the Evolve that has the rice over the grain free but that's just me, a bit over the top at times, in case you haven't notice. :unsure:
My cats love Evolve Classic deboned chicken and brown rice dry cat food, and also their Evolve Classic salmon, brown rice and sweet potato.
It doesn't smell good to me but they know what they like and they readily eat that stuff. It's 32% protein.
I like it that there is no wheat, soy, or corn in it.

Kiki's faves are Purina One dry in the mornings for her breakfast, and Rachael Ray Nutrish Purrfect Entrees wet in the evenings for her dinner. She purrs the whole time she's eating😻 I also give her Greenies oven roasted chicken flavored dental treats.
Sounds like a good spoiled cat. I feed mine similarly to the way you feed your cat.

My 2 house cats as well as the outdoor cat will readily eat 9 Lives canned or dry.

Back