Iones Dry Food for Cats? What Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had the Mobile Vet come out to my condo to give my 11 year old male indoor cat shots..The Nazi Condo Commando made everyone in the complex do it and get a license t-boot even though none of the cats in question even go outside..Otherwise they were going to come in [while you were not at home] and dispose of the cat.

My question is the Vet said I should take him off Meow Mix [because of the corn meal] and give him Iones dry food..So yesterday morning I mixed a handful of Iones with his Meow Mix..Since I gave him the Iones all he wants to do is sleep 24/7..He can barely keep his eyes open..I took him off the Iones around lunch time today and he seems to have regained some of his energy back but is still more tired then usual..He did not even want his treats this afternoon..That never happens!

So I was wondering what all you cat lovers on here use for your dry food..My cat has never had wet food..Not sure if I want to start giving him wet food now but I am open to all suggestions..He really likes his Meow Mix.

If you are wondering why I put up with the Nazi Condo Commandos [with their millions of dumb rules] is because my sick elderly mom [who has a million health issues] lives nearby in the same complex so it easier for me to keep a close on her on a daily basis..If anything happens to her I plan on moving immediately.

BTW my sister put her 2 cats on Iones Dry Food the same time I put mine on it and they also had the same reaction.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously????

crackmeup2.gif

Getting shots can make anyone sleepy.

Cat, dog, human, whatever. What would be the point of getting immunization shots if the body didn't respond to them? My old sheepy (not a cat) would be a giant pillow for a fortnight after getting shots. As a small child I had the same sort of reaction, but don't anymore because I always warn the doctor that I need to be restrained for a needle and somehow that means I never need any.

That's something they teach you after you slap an ER nurse and then kick the doc in the face.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Getting shots can make anyone sleepy.

Cat, dog, human, whatever. What would be the point of getting immunization shots if the body didn't respond to them? My old sheepy (not a cat) would be a giant pillow for a fortnight after getting shots. As a small child I had the same sort of reaction, but don't anymore because I always warn the doctor that I need to be restrained for a needle and somehow that means I never need any.

The shots were over 2 weeks ago..He is over that now..He was fine until the Iones dry food.

On the subject BITOGing as it relates to felines, you could use cat litter for cleaning up oil, lubricant, and chemical spills but it will never really be as good as a professional absorbant like "Speedy Dry" ...

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

The shots were over 2 weeks ago..He is over that now..He was fine until the Iones dry food.

You're not still feeding it to him, are you?

PS: Best of luck finding the right food. Being sick isn't fun.

Last edited:
Never heard of "lones" but the vet has the right idea. Meow mix, Friskys, Nine Lives, etc. are junk food for cats. Low quality ingredients, corn meal, wheat gluten and meat by-products, i.e. chicken heads and other slop that would turn your stomach.

However, when changing your cat's diet it should be done gradually. The new food may not be agreeing with him for some reason.

I would try adding a little high quality canned food (no meat by-products or wheat gluten) mixed in with a good grain-free dry food. Petco and Pet Smart stores have good selections.

We use Taste of the Wild. The one we use is the Rocky Mountain Feline.

The vet was right about most of the major brands using fillers like corn, wheat and rice. Those are used because they're cheap.

Taste of the Wild is grain free. Our cat puked way less with it than the normal brands.

I don't know about the alleged lethargy related to the food. That seems questionable to me.

I've had good success with Halo brand. They even have a grain-free variety.

Three cats (!) all indoors. While they have the usual "oral loss" shall we say, they do better on Halo than anything else.

YMMV obiously
smile.gif

We have a diabetic scotty so he gets 100% grain free food, in my limited research I found there to be a big difference in pet foods, some of the ones you see advertising all the time that you would assume has the very best ingredients are actualy junk- full of fillers etc. My vet even pushes one of these foods, your cat will live a nice long life on meow mix but there is healthier foods available. Just take a look at the ingredients, you will see. Its like Redline vs Dollar store oil, lol..
Not sure about the sluggish behavior, may need smaller serving of the new food for the same nutritional values. We use foods from Blue and Nutrisca, not sure if they make cat food.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
We use Taste of the Wild. The one we use is the Rocky Mountain Feline.

The vet was right about most of the major brands using fillers like corn, wheat and rice. Those are used because they're cheap.

Taste of the Wild is grain free. Our cat puked way less with it than the normal brands.

I don't know about the alleged lethargy related to the food. That seems questionable to me.

This. I feed TOTW to my dogs and nothing else. They're much happier and healthier since ditching the cheap stuff.

When changing an animals diet it should be done gradually, not all at once. Add half and half of each type of food and mix, let your cat eat it like this for a good 2-4 weeks. As the weeks go on add a little more of the premium cat food- until its all premium cat food.

As for my cat she really loves Friskies Indoor delights by Purina. She had a huge problem with hair balls and this food has nearly eliminated her hair ball explosions! lol!

http://www.friskies.com/Cat-Food/Indoor/Indoor-Delights

I had thought about changing her food to premium quality food as well, but im afraid her hairball moments will come back.

As for my 2 little dogs (chihuahua and terrier mix) they get Iams ProActive Health (tiny bites). They love the stuff and its better for them.

http://www.iams.com/dog-food/iams-proactive-health-adult-minichunks

Last edited:
i guess i'll weigh in.

Grain free is the way to go.(cats are pure carnivores, the only vegetation they are supposed to eat is in the digestive tract of their prey) and those foods, they are more nutritionally dense, so you don't need to feed as much to get the same calories.

I've tried to get my dad to understand this, but so far he refuses to spend the $$ on the "good stuff". he's been feeding abbycat Purina "healthful life" since she adopted us, and she likes it, enough that she put on a belly (dad putting out nearly twice the daily recommended amount, and sharing his lunch meat with her, etc.)
That brand has been discontinued. so they bought some of the purina "one beyond", that we had been giving her for "treats", and will switch over to it once we run out of the healthful life that dad stashed up on. (i have an oil stash, he has a cat food stash).
around that time, i bought her a small bag (3lbs) of Blue Buffalo, and right away, I Knew 2 things:
1) i knew dad would never buy it, costs too much ($12!! for 3lbs!)
2) that she really likes it.
so we use that as the "treat" food.
with the addition of the blue, her coat looked much better(smoother/shinier), & she doesn't scratch herself as much(dry skin), and has actually LOST weight - still has a little paunch -

now the problem is getting dad to understand the concept of a "treat" if mom or i put down a treat, its maybe an uncupped-single layer palm full.
where as dad will give her nearly a full serving.

Another recommend for Halo dry food.

One of our cats had a liver or allergy problem. We tried numerous "higher end" dry foods and Halo was noticeably better. Our sick cat got a lot better and both cats got friskier, and their fur got glossier. Recommended!

It's not that expensive, either.

I'm not sure what brand my mom uses for her cats now, but I know she switched to grain free recently and her cats are liking it.

Maybe try a different brand of grain free and see how your cat likes it.

I know my mom has used Science Diet before and the cats seemed to do good on it as well, but I think it has grain fillers.

A cat that has been on dry food for most/all of his life may not even be interested in wet food, but single cans are cheap enough that you can give it a try and see how it goes.

My cats get Innova. My foster cat gets Iams.
I have had cats stay sleepy for two weeks after getting shots.
As others have said you might need to try a different high quality food.

Do you mean Iams? Iams is a good product. Unfortunately, for us, Siamese are known for digestive issues, so our cat is on Hills Prescription Diet @ $32. for 8 lbs. and we have to supplement with canned to help keep her hydrated about $30. a case. You are fortunate if you can get away with an over the counter cat food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back