Anyone in Northeast Florida? Think about moving there, until reading about the Alligators, How bad?

Yeah but I’m not sure if that answers my question. Would moving to Florida require a lifestyle change, I’m sure when we go down there to look around we will find our answer.

Our lifestyle here in South Carolina involves boating all day long in freshwater floating around the lake and swimming diving off our boat. I guess when I go to Florida we will see if people do that there.
This would be, Northeast Florida anywhere from Yulee down 95 to the southern part of Jacksonville and also a few miles west.
We don’t want to be too far off 95 simply because we have kids here in South Carolina and moving to this area of Florida is only just over a 4 Hour drive which is a piece a cake.

If the car drive wasn’t a concern we would consider the north gulf area of Florida which we love anywhere from Panama City to Destin.
Swimming and boating in the St. John’s River, near Jacksonville isn’t what I call relaxing. I wouldn’t swim in it. South of Jacksonville, outside of Duval County would be better. I’ve never worried about gators, while in Florida.

Does that include Ocala area with the swimming holes???
Ocala is a bit like here...rolling hills and horse farms and the big oaks.
Although the sink holes bother me a bit.
I love Ocala and Marion County. We often fished on Lake Weir south of Ocala. What a beautiful place. Yeah, there are sink holes around. That doesn’t bother me either. Lake City is another beautiful part of Florida.

The only way you will know what it's like to be in Florida is by spending time doing the things you want to do.Go spend a few weeks or month and go experience it. Asking for advice on a message forum will not get your answers sorry as we are not you or your wife.
We do go down to Florida all the time for vacation and some posts in here are very helpful.
I been to almost every part of the state over the last 50 years. But those parts where relatives live and have lived are too far south for me. (at this point in time)
I wanted to stay near the Northern border.
For the last decade we have vacationed almost on a yearly basis everywhere from St Augustine to Destin. But never considered moving.
We dont have the option to spend weeks at a time, more like days or a week. My wife and I research everything we do, part of that research is hearing what locals say and it seems like there are a few here in BITOG with some interesting posts. I even took a photo of an alligator or two in a pond/waterway of a park we were walking in, thought it was the coolest thing. But wouldnt go swimming there, plus the signs, Illegal to Feed Alligators.

Last edited:
No Gators around here. The Crocs scare them all away. JOKING.

Like you, my Daughter lives in Central SC. Gilbert, just outside of Lexington. Cheaper there than here in Lake County FL. Lots of good fresh water fishing lakes here in Lake County. Before I moved here to Mt. Dora, I wanted to move to Fernandina Beach, just North of Jacksonville, but could smell the Paper Mills from Brunswick GA. Don’t know if you can still smell that

My advice, find an area you may like and RENT for a few months.

As Genera Colin Powell said;
Be careful what you wish for.
YOU MAY GET IT.

It sounds like you live a happy life there in SC already, and your family is close by. So why the thought of moving to FL?

Just curious...
Great question! Would love to answer without one of my long drawn out replies, if that is possible? NO~! so here we go!

First things first, keep in mind we moved, out of the blue, to South Carolina, from our home state and area of Long Island, NY
Looking for a better more relaxed lifestyle, also knowing things up there were getting crazy, urbanization, congestion, TAXES, expenses, all quality of life issues to a large actually HUGE (by Long Island standards) home here in SC at 85% less taxes and 50% less purchase price then we sold in NY..
We did find the Golden Goose here in SC.
Wonderful area, 41 mile long lake, 2 hours to the Smoky mountains, 2 hours to the Atlantic Ocean beach, 3 hours to Myrtle Beach area. Kids, grown, have careers that for at least one of them would never have been possible up in NY. They are all doing great, on their own, this state was such a good move for them. The people here are incredible, friendly.

Ok, so the thought of moving,
Kids grown and have homes/families of their own, they are not exactly around the corner but none more than 2 hours aways, one half that.
Wife and I (and at times when kids were young) still vacation in Florida, always liked the state, even when I was just a little kid, I had uncles, aunts, and their kids on both coasts but more south.
Our house here in SC is going to be 16 years old now, we had it built new. Soooo I figure we have about 5 at the most left for the roof, max of 5 years for 2 large AC units, not sure exactly but I think the two combined is 5.5 tons, 5 Bedrooms and associated areas will need new carpet one day, I would then like to replace all appliances, washer/dryer, Refrigerator, Range, hood, dishwasher ect ect and whatever else I am forgetting.
With all the above said, dont mis-understand my post, our home is impeccable (and I am not kidding), including the outdoor landscaping, out of the blue people just comment on it, not a week goes by that happens.

Ok, so, we LOVE the gulf coast with its sparkling incredible blue/blue green and crystal clear water but after vacationing for some time in the Destin area we realize not much of the more populated city scene around for when we want it, also not a lot of new communities with pools ect that are in a price range we are looking for.
Panama City MIGHT be an option, we stayed there too.
St Augustine, though we liked it, is a bit further than we would like.
So I started researching Jacksonville, not the crystal blue water of the Gulf but sometimes you have to compromise. LOTS of waterways, marinas, boat ramps ect should we want to keep boating.
We were all set to actually go and visit in just two weeks, and we will most likely run down there for a day or two, only a 4 hour ride from our house which is a MAJOR convenance never been to Jacksonville, Yulee ect. Actually have a couple communities in mind.

Anyway, to answer your question, we are in a great area now, however, maybe its time for a new home and if we are going to do a new home, maybe instead of staying here, a move to Florida for a new lifestyle would be nice.
Home prices in Florida took off much higher than I would have liked but then again, one phone call to opendoor and I can pretty much seal a deal selling my home to them without ever having to show the house and walk away with cash in 30 days at a significant price increase percentage wise as Florida (almost) so we are good there too.
I wouldnt be firmly opposed to staying here and moving to a new home in a new community either but there arent that many new ones and the ones that are, in a state with a HUGE amount of empty land they are REALLY crunching them close together. More or less we arent crazy about what we are seeing here in new communities, like when we first moved here.

Last but not least, the weather, OMG, love the hot weather here, its actually hotter in the summer then Florida but we love it so much that the winters to us can seem brutally cold for 6 weeks or so. Anyway, like the idea of a little more moderate winter at the sacrifice of a little cooler summer which isnt a sacrifice because once your above 85 that is plenty warm.

Last edited:
No Gators around here. The Crocs scare them all away. JOKING.

Like you, my Daughter lives in Central SC. Gilbert, just outside of Lexington. Cheaper there than here in Lake County FL. Lots of good fresh water fishing lakes here in Lake County. Before I moved here to Mt. Dora, I wanted to move to Fernandina Beach, just North of Jacksonville, but could smell the Paper Mills from Brunswick GA. Don’t know if you can still smell that

My advice, find an area you may like and RENT for a few months.

As Genera Colin Powell said;
Be careful what you wish for.
YOU MAY GET IT.
Great post, thanks, I keep hearing about Lake County, interesting. Gilbert very cool! Well, they know hot in the summer there too!
Gilbert peach festival, know it well. We are on the other side of the lake (Northside), almost straight across.

VERY interesting about the paper mills and why a simple thread in a forum like this gives us so much more information to add to the information we look up online. I say this because as you know Yulee is up there near Fernandina Beach and it is on our list to check into. I didnt know anything about paper mills.
Ps... as we get older, first class medical facilities is kind of important too. Been very happy with the ones here in the Columbia area.
Thanks for your reply, I think I have to not lose sight of the Fernandina/Yulee thing which is also on the to do list. Maybe we are better off in the salt water bays!

Small update, so if your familiar with my retarded long posts in this thread and I REALLY thank those with some helpful replies.
We do love our state and would consider staying and buying a new home here but just do not have the new construction of years ago taking place, we arent impressed with the new communities.
But we do have one mostly nice new one near us, large, nice community center ect.

So wife and I went over their last night and walked in at least 6 homes and at least another 8 homes under construction, Real nice, well known builder, about the size we would want but all shy that one extra br we want.
Anyway, when I got home, I went online to look at the prices, all of a sudden Florida wasnt looking so expensive anymore. I couldn't believe they were starting at $400k these are homes about 1/3rd to 1/2 smaller and also property 1/3rd to 1/2 smaller then we currently own literally almost down the road. We need 4br or 3br and an office type room, these homes were 2 br and 2br with office type room and none bigger then 3 br. on postage stamp size property though nicely done and nice location.

I think they went up in price about $60k or more since we last drive through there.
I dont know if they will get it now that interest rates have climbed, there seemed to be an awful amount of them still available, I was surprised but when I got home to check prices then I wasnt so surprised.
SO Florida we will still check out, most likely in a couple weeks, maybe also one place on the coast of SC

or we will just burn out, give up and be thankful we love our current home. ;)

Small update, so if your familiar with my retarded long posts in this thread and I REALLY thank those with some helpful replies.
We do love our state and would consider staying and buying a new home here but just do not have the new construction of years ago taking place, we arent impressed with the new communities.
But we do have one mostly nice new one near us, large, nice community center ect.

So wife and I went over their last night and walked in at least 6 homes and at least another 8 homes under construction, Real nice, well known builder, about the size we would want but all shy that one extra br we want.
Anyway, when I got home, I went online to look at the prices, all of a sudden Florida wasnt looking so expensive anymore. I couldn't believe they were starting at $400k these are homes about 1/3rd to 1/2 smaller and also property 1/3rd to 1/2 smaller then we currently own literally almost down the road. We need 4br or 3br and an office type room, these homes were 2 br and 2br with office type room and none bigger then 3 br. on postage stamp size property though nicely done and nice location.

I think they went up in price about $60k or more since we last drive through there.
I dont know if they will get it now that interest rates have climbed, there seemed to be an awful amount of them still available, I was surprised but when I got home to check prices then I wasnt so surprised.
SO Florida we will still check out, most likely in a couple weeks, maybe also one place on the coast of SC

or we will just burn out, give up and be thankful we love our current home. ;)
You can always move out to a rural area with some acreage. Lots of advantages. No homeowner associations. No trashy, loud neighbors.

You can always move out to a rural area with some acreage. Lots of advantages. No homeowner associations. No trashy, loud neighbors.
Yeah I am past that age of wanting a lot of property, growing up and spending most my life on Long Island it was never a reality anyway.
Here, now in SC, he whole HOA community thing, with the amenities was a must have when we moved here 15 years ago.
Its worked out well for us and at this point in time wouldnt consider anything else.
Getting to the age now where we want easy access to medical care if needed, quality of life things include access to some nice gyms, ocean, lakes, we do love the outdoors so I get the acreage thing but not for us.

Back