Anyone in Northeast Florida? Think about moving there, until reading about the Alligators, How bad?

Wife and I kicking around looking to relocate to Northeast Florida, Jacksonville area and nearby. Feel we maybe approaching the ideal time to sell and buy. Even though we LOVE our home here in SC, might be ready for a new chapter after 16 years.

We are ready to go look at some communities in Florida. We like the Northeast, easy access to I95, plenty of large lakes and rivers, simple drive here from SC. However one thing just threw a big wrench in things.

We are boaters, just spent the last two days on our 41 miles long lake here in SC. Great time, one day my wife and I, next day my son, daughter in law and grandson, spent hours in the water, carefree of being attacked b y any wild animals in our HUGE lake.

We like the appeal of the Northeast Florida, easy access to inlets to head out into the ocean and a huge river network, Saint Johns River, however we forgot one major detail, seems like the entire area is infested with alligators!!!
Im talking HUGE bodies of water, how would we ever go swimming ect, ect... without thinking about them?? Its so bad now that alligators are getting washed out into the ocean inlets by storms, where locals NEVER used to see them? (alligators are freshwater creatures)
Many attacks, few deaths, and watch out for the family dog going for a swim! Anyway, boy this thought just put a HUGE damper on things in our mind, still thinks we will drive down there in a couple weeks but ...

Wife and I kicking around looking to relocate to Northeast Florida, Jacksonville area and nearby. Feel we maybe approaching the ideal time to sell and buy. Even though we LOVE our home here in SC, might be ready for a new chapter after 16 years.

We are ready to go look at some communities in Florida. We like the Northeast, easy access to I95, plenty of large lakes and rivers, simple drive here from SC. However one thing just threw a big wrench in things.

We are boaters, just spent the last two days on our 41 miles long lake here in SC. Great time, one day my wife and I, next day my son, daughter in law and grandson, spent hours in the water, carefree of being attacked b y any wild animals in our HUGE lake.

We like the appeal of the Northeast Florida, easy access to inlets to head out into the ocean and a huge river network, Saint Johns River, however we forgot one major detail, seems like the entire area is infested with alligators!!!
Im talking HUGE bodies of water, how would we ever go swimming ect, ect... without thinking about them?? Its so bad now that alligators are getting washed out into the ocean inlets by storms, where locals NEVER used to see them? (alligators are freshwater creatures)
Many attacks, few deaths, and watch out for the family dog going for a swim! Anyway, boy this thought just put a HUGE damper on things in our mind, still thinks we will drive down there in a couple weeks but ...
Don't forget the huge river sharks😳😳

Of all the times I've visited family in Florida,not once did I have a fear of alligators,nor did I go out of my way to find them. Imo,if you want to make the move,then be serious about it, otherwise you will keep fearing the little things that really don't have any impact on living in Florida.

Gators in the south are plentiful for sure. I don’t worry too much about them. I’m a fan of NW or Central Florida. Lots of Springs to visit and swim. Freshwater fishing is great there too. Lake City, Ocala, Carrabelle
@Zee09 is correct about bull sharks entering the freshwater tributaries. It’s like that with any river that empties into the ocean. I’m sure In happens in SC too.
If you want to move to Florida, do it. Find a rural area. You will be much happier away from the cities or suburbs.

I had an alligator chase me off a water hole on a course in Ft Meyers. They can move fast in short bursts, dam thing came out of the water fast! Anyway, we chased it down and ran over it with our golf cart.

Seriously though.. You wouldn't want to swim in any body of water they populate. Muddy, swampy, stagnant stinky stuff.. Normally.

I've been to Florida at least 10 times, to both the east and west coast. I've been fishing in rivers and swamps by boat a few, in perfect alligator habitat and I've yet to see one.

Gators in the south are plentiful for sure. I don’t worry too much about them. I’m a fan of NW or Central Florida. Lots of Springs to visit and swim. Freshwater fishing is great there too. Lake City, Ocala, Carrabelle
@Zee09 is correct about bull sharks entering the freshwater tributaries. It’s like that with any river that empties into the ocean. I’m sure In happens in SC too.
Does that include Ocala area with the swimming holes???
Ocala is a bit like here...rolling hills and horse farms and the big oaks.
Although the sink holes bother me a bit.

I had an alligator chase me off a water hole on a course in Ft Meyers. They can move fast in short bursts, dam thing came out of the water fast! Anyway, we chased it down and ran over it with our golf cart.

Seriously though.. You wouldn't want to swim in any body of water they populate. Muddy, swampy, stagnant stinky stuff.. Normally.

I've been to Florida at least 10 times, to both the east and west coast. I've been fishing in rivers and swamps by boat a few, in perfect alligator habitat and I've yet to see one.
My ponds in Bunnell were polluted with them...lol

You guys are killing us!!!
Bull sharks too?!?!?!
I just googled them they’re very dangerous!!
So now contemplating a move to Florida boating on one of the largest rivers in Florida and with the kind of people that like to swim around for hours at a time, float on floats, have a beer, dive in and out of the water off the boat. This just sounds like something that can’t be done in Florida!!!
I’m in the central part of South Carolina, no sharks, no alligators.
So it seems like I might have to give up that boating lifestyle, the part that includes constantly jumping in the water and floating around all day long in the freshwater or better said brackish water coming in from the ocean?

We have seen small alligators in some park while visiting Florida. I forgot where it was maybe Saint Augustine

I go down there every year and fish for a week or so. I see sometimes hundreds in a day but they’ve never bothered me even when I’m in my kayak. They jump off shore and swim right under the kayak and it’s a bit worrisome but I still have all my limbs. I don’t like when I’m shore fishing and they just swim right up to me and chase me off my spot. I can’t tell if they’re being aggressive or stupid due to their primitive reptilian brain.

Of all the times I've visited family in Florida,not once did I have a fear of alligators,nor did I go out of my way to find them. Imo,if you want to make the move,then be serious about it, otherwise you will keep fearing the little things that really don't have any impact on living in Florida.
Yeah but I’m not sure if that answers my question. Would moving to Florida require a lifestyle change, I’m sure when we go down there to look around we will find our answer.

Our lifestyle here in South Carolina involves boating all day long in freshwater floating around the lake and swimming diving off our boat. I guess when I go to Florida we will see if people do that there.
This would be, Northeast Florida anywhere from Yulee down 95 to the southern part of Jacksonville and also a few miles west.
We don’t want to be too far off 95 simply because we have kids here in South Carolina and moving to this area of Florida is only just over a 4 Hour drive which is a piece a cake.

If the car drive wasn’t a concern we would consider the north gulf area of Florida which we love anywhere from Panama City to Destin.

You guys are killing us!!!
Bull sharks too?!?!?!
I just googled them they’re very dangerous!!
So now contemplating a move to Florida boating on one of the largest rivers in Florida and with the kind of people that like to swim around for hours at a time, float on floats, have a beer, dive in and out of the water off the boat. This just sounds like something that can’t be done in Florida!!!
I’m in the central part of South Carolina, no sharks, no alligators.
So it seems like I might have to give up that boating lifestyle, the part that includes constantly jumping in the water and floating around all day long in the freshwater or better said brackish water coming in from the ocean?

We have seen small alligators in some park while visiting Florida. I forgot where it was maybe Saint Augustine
Dude😜
I forgot to tell you my ex fiancée is right in that area. That is a creature you should fear...forget the Bigfoot sightings in Palm Coast after the twisters... She is what legends are made of. I got caught in a Nissan Rogue for 3 hours with her with the doors locked in a remote are of Florida near Daytona...
That day I dreamed of being killed by wild animals to escape that horror..😂😂😂

Alligators are fresh water creatures that like to stay near shore. If they live around people, they are used to them and don't bother anybody. The only time they are really dangerous is the breeding season when the males are aggressive toward anything but particularly younger males.
I don't think you would consider swimming in an area where they hang out. Do people want them in their back yard....No.

The only way you will know what it's like to be in Florida is by spending time doing the things you want to do.Go spend a few weeks or month and go experience it. Asking for advice on a message forum will not get your answers sorry as we are not you or your wife.

gator.jpg

But you don’t mention the lifestyle. Our lifestyle is one of water sports, constant all day swimming and being in the water with our boat.
This wouldn’t affect someone who for example goes golfing or fishing or non of the above.

Hmmmm ….

Back