What auto parts do you stock up on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to fill up to $100 to use the AAP coupon code, just wondering what other parts I should have in stock? I already have a lot of oil and oil filters. Wiper blades? Windshield fluid?

Good question.

For me, after oil, it'd probably be disposable gloves and cleaning supplies.

I typically keep spare axleshafts, bearings, seals, & u-joints for my off road vehicles. I have every spare EFI sensor, ECU, and a spare fuel pump for my trail Jeep as well. If I'm out in Moab I don't want to be caught with my pants down 40 miles from nowhere.

Think ahead (look at your maintenance spreadsheet)
smile.gif

How long has it been since you replaced brake pads? What about a coolant flush and fill? Air filter? Cabin air filter?

Any tool that you've wanted? Maybe a swivel-head 3/8" ratchet? (They're awful handy)... or a set of the quick release tools for transmission and fuel lines?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
If I'm out in Moab I don't want to be caught with my pants down 40 miles from nowhere.

Sounds like you should be buying belts instead of auto parts then.
wink.gif

I don't, truthfully. Amazon plus a wealth of auto parts stores means that I can always find what I want on sale, so what's the point of hoarding? If I need fuel system cleaner, someone will always have it on sale or BOGO, so I just buy it then. Same goes for windshield wipers, washer fluid, detailing products, etc.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
I was trying to fill up to $100 to use the AAP coupon code, just wondering what other parts I should have in stock? I already have a lot of oil and oil filters. Wiper blades? Windshield fluid?

Wiper bkades are handy when you need one, especially if you have an odd size that is tough to find. In addition to washer fluid (always bought in sale), I tend to keep coolant for vehicles over 80k miles, enough transmission fluid for the next planned change if within a year.

I don't really "stock up", unless its something like filters if I can get them with a coupon. Pure Ones for my daily-driver Cobalt are something like $9, so its good to take advantage of a sale.

I have a garage-kept classic, however, and I'll sometimes buy parts for it if I see them available as good-quality aftermarket or reproductions. Can't go wrong with a shelf of good parts I can install on a moments' notice if necessary.

I keep some oil filters for the VW handy since I use OEM... otherwise not much. Crush washers?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Think ahead (look at your maintenance spreadsheet)
smile.gif

This is what I do. I look at the horizon and imagine what is just beyond. I have had a rear diff gasket for the Burb waiting for me to change the fluid and drop the cover for two months or more and a set of front brake pads that I have had for a bit longer than that. I also have an intermediate steering shaft for the GP that has been sitting around for 9+ months waiting for its turn in the wrenching cycle (it is not an urgent item so other tasks have taken priority over it when I get enough time to spend on maintenance/repairs).

Maybe pick up an upstream O2 sensor or two (depending on your vehicle's needs) and replace it/them at 100k miles as preventive maintenance.

Non-motor oil fluids that are always needed are also good to keep a limited stock of, such as brake cleaner, TB cleaner, dielectric grease, etc.

I do not stock auto parts, I buy them as needed. The only ones I stock (besides maybe a small amount of oil and other fluids) are parts that I bought and have not gotten around to installing yet.

Washer fluid and antifreeze have been my order padders with Advance lately. It still makes sense to get nitrile gloves from HF... 100 for $7 instead of 25. My inlaws are always thrilled to get a case of washer fluid-- they buy it one gallon at a time at the hardware store.

AA gets you with $9 oil filters that aren't really a discount when padding orders. I like to think outside the box.

Brake cleaner, injector cleaner, undercoating, bondo, you know, "shop supplies".
lol.gif

If ordering for mail order and trying to hit the $75 free shipping threshold I throw in some wheel weights. Not only does it play the commodities market but they aren't available for local pickup.

I am always working on things so I like having hardware, sealants, tapes, paint, bulbs and things like that around. nice to have extra stuff in the shop for when its needed.

One needs to be a little careful with respect to having a supply of parts, then deciding to sell or worse, an accident that totals.

Coolant would be a consideration. Oil & filter also. But a 1-2 year supply for any given vehicle, not a 10 yr. Rubber parts can dry up, so an extra belt of hose/vehicle would be good, but not several spare belts/vehicle.

Other than oil and filters I stock up on Techron (can use it in any car, so not afraid of obsolescence) and I usually keep 2 pairs of headlights for each vehicle.

filters, oil, Techron, MF towels when on sale...etc

I also will buy and keep parts even if they're not needed, but known to be soon obsolete, or manufacturer might discontinue.

Usually brake pads, oil filters, air filters, oil, ATF, and in some cases, tires for the near future use (within 1 year).

They gotta be at least 50% off for me to worth stocking up on though.

I might buy oil and filters for 2x, but I don't really plan to hold onto anything longer than a year. It's almost worth the loss in money to buy when I need it so as to not trip over it in the meantime.

I'll purchase routine maintenance items 2-3 weeks before I'm ready to do the maintenance. There are a few things such as headlight, tail light and brake light bulbs that I keep on hand for each vehicle so I can change them immediately when they go out.

I also keep the old set of wipers in each vehicle when I change them out-I had one fall off in the winter years ago and learned my lesson.

There are a few key N tractor parts that I keep on hand-front mount coil, points, condenser, plugs, key switch, spare tire tube, etc. If one fails in the middle of winter and I need to plow snow I can have a new one installed and the tractor up and running again in a few minutes.

I don't stock up on oil, I just keep enough part containers on the shelf to top off anything that gets low before the next oil change. I keep a couple gallons of wiper fluid on hand so I can keep the vehicles topped off when the weather is sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back