What auto parts do you stock up on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the late my dad, i and my uncle put a road kit together. points, fuel hose, fuel filter, fuel pump, water pump, cap, rotor, hose clamps, starter, thermo stat, gaskets. it saved our tail more than once. but to be honest the car are much better now days. and i dont think its needed now days. but keeping parts at home now days. well i dont do my own work now days. and my shop is only 3 bolck from home. so if i had to i might be able to limp it in.

I keep some things on hand where I could encounter availability issues, or would have to use a less than desirable alternative in a situation where I would need the part/fluid quickly.

- Motorcraft FL-400S oil filters - I keep at least a couple on hand as I ran into a situation a year or so ago where local Wal-Marts were sold out, or had failed to restock the shelves. The filters were available elsewhere, but at a couple dollars more than Wal-Mart. When I found a Wal-Mart that had them, I bought about six.
- Mobil 1 0W30. Again, I ran into a situation where Wal-Mart had sold out/failed to restock. Mobil 1 is often more expensive elsewhere, and many alternative stores do not stock the 0W30 as basically no vehicles have that as a OEM listed spec. I keep 1 5 qt jug on hand and restock as soon as I do an oil change. I keep 1 quart for top off.
- Motorcraft SP-495 plugs. I have a full set of six because this part number has been discontinued by Ford without a direct replacement. Technically, SP-500 is within an acceptable heat range and is what Ford now specs for FFV 3.0s, but the colder SP-495 was the original plug spec'd for FFV 3.0s and is what I prefer to use. Right now I am actually running Autolites that are a close match to SP-495.
- Motorcraft cam synchronizer. Just in case. It is the main weak point in the 3.0, and should I have a sudden failure, I don't want to wait on a reasonably priced one to ship, though many dealers do still stock them.
- Assortment of hose clamps.
- New hose for coolant overflow tank. Damage from wreck caused it to rub against air filter housing, causing a wear spot in the hose. Did not wear to a point of imminent failure, and I wrapped it in plastic conduit to protect it from further damage, but I keep a full length of hose just in case, as well as spare conduit.
- 2 gallons of premixed G-05 or CoolgardII...have never really run into availability issues, but even at Napa it is less common than it used to be and the JD dealer is out of the way/closed on Sundays. Putting a generic coolant in it in an emergency situation would make me cringe, so I keep it on hand and restock whenever I use it.
- T-stat gaskets, one paper, one Felpro PermaDryPlus. Paper is always available anywhere, PermaDryPlus usually has to be ordered. Hoping the current PermaDryPlus will be a long term fix for t-stat leaks, but keeping one on hand just in case.
- 1 qt of Mercon V for PS top offs and just in case the trans ever develops a leak.
- Old hoses and belts that are still usable, just for emergencies.
- Known good Motorcraft reman MAF sensor. Was on closeout at Rock Auto, price was too good to pass up. Have run it in the truck and know it works. Also have a new MAF gasket still in the wrapper just in case since it would have to be ordered should the original one leak.

I have never actually had a mechanical issue with the truck where I could not find what I needed to fix it correctly or was put in a bind, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with a 12 year old/150K mile vehicle. I suppose my stockpile is based somewhat on superstition..."if I have it on hand, it's less likely to fail." So far I have caught things long before they became a big issue.

Based on actual unexpected failure rate, what I really need to keep on hand is a set of tires! Got ANOTHER flat today due to a screw, but luckily it was patchable. The only thing that has stopped the truck dead in its tracks is tires.

I buy premium wipers in advance if I can get them at extremely low prices. I have 4 in my garage right now.

When Advance has a "Buy 5 quarts or more, get a premium filter" I get enough for one oil change in advance. It is even cheaper than buying stuff at Walmart, plus I can get oils that aren't sold at Wal Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back