Oversize oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know a good place, online, to look for oversize filters and compare specifications and measurements to factory?
By the way, 95 Mercury Sable wagon V6.

The best way I've found is to find an auto parts store that will let you look into the big oil filter spec book they have. This will be specific for just the brand in the book.

Look up the recommended filter for your engine, and note the thread size and pitch, the gasket size, the presence of an antidrainback valve, and the setting of the internal bypass valve, if it has one. Look into the section of the catalog that lists the filters by size, and find one with all the attributes of the recommded filter for your engine. Don't count on being able to cross-reference this oversized filter to one of another brand...it's always best to start with the recommended filter of the new brand and oversize from that.

All that said, I see no good reason for using an oversized filter. I get excellent oil analyses with stock filters.

Ken

I'd say the best way is to ask here. If you have the OHV 3.0. Ford makes a much larger filter for your application. Look up a '94 F-150 w/ 4.9 I6.(just an example) FL-1A(motorcraft), ST8(supertech), PF-2(AC-delco). Always check for clearance before using.

If you have the 3.8 or 3.0 DOHC, there is no easy oversize.

-T

I assume you use the FL-400 size?
If so-
Wix 51764, & Baldwin B-243 is about 1/2" longer.
Purolater ML36830 is about 1" longer if you can find it.

The FL1A has a slighly larger diameter gasket, although it should still work.

The Wix site is good for getting filter specs, although you have to plug the filter# in.
It gives gasket dimensions, bypass pressure etc.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

The FL-1A is probably your best bet if the gasket will fit and you have space for the slightly larger diametere and length filter. Will give you about another half quart of capacity as well.

If it is the Ford 3.0 V6 the spec is FL400s. I just installed the FL1A on my wifes '92 Aerostar 3.0 and it is working fine. Measured the mating surface of my 300 I6 pickup (which takes FL1A) and the Aerostar. OD is the same ID is different with much smaller ID on the Aerostar 3.0 block. Since the FL1A gasket is slightly larger diameter, this is not an issue. Only Wix site has gasket diameters. Now, if you think the FL1A gets you more capacity at 3/8" greater diameter over the FL400S, try a FL299 which is the same diameter as FL1A but 1.5 inches longer! All my vehicles are running oversized filters.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
If it is the Ford 3.0 V6 the spec is FL400s. I just installed the FL1A on my wifes '92 Aerostar 3.0 and it is working fine. Measured the mating surface of my 300 I6 pickup (which takes FL1A) and the Aerostar. OD is the same ID is different with much smaller ID on the Aerostar 3.0 block. Since the FL1A gasket is slightly larger diameter, this is not an issue. Only Wix site has gasket diameters. Now, if you think the FL1A gets you more capacity at 3/8" greater diameter over the FL400S, try a FL299 which is the same diameter as FL1A but 1.5 inches longer! All my vehicles are running oversized filters.

I think we're getting a little overkill here. FL-1A is plenty big for such a vehicle. I've changed the oil on Tauruses before and there's really not an extra 1.5", especially with engine rotation.

Keep in mind, all this will ONLY work on the 3.0 OHV, the OHC engine uses a different filter, and the 3.8 doesn't have any extra room.

I can't run oversized on any of my vehicles. They all run filter's smaller than the Taurus and I feel comfortable with them.

-T

Yeah, T-Keith, you aren't kidding on the "just ask here", a few replies back. You guys are good, thanks.
smile.gif

Sorry,
pat.gif
I should have said it was the 3.0 OHV.

The FL-400S is a nice filter though. If you run an FL-1A, you lose the silicon drainback valve in exchange for more oil capacity. Im going to run the FL-400s on my toyotas. $2.77 cant be beat.

I think there may even be a better alternative to the FL-400. The FL-400 crosses to Purolator 20195. The 20195 an 25230 are the same size, but the 25230 has the by-pass valve on the threaded end (so if it opens, it can't blow crud from the dirty side of the filter into you motor). I'm currently using the 25230 on my Soob (I don't know the 'Ford' part number that the 25230 crosses back to)

Dave

I think there may even be a better alternative to the FL-400. The FL-400 crosses to Purolator 20195. The 20195 an 25230 are the same size, but the 25230 has the by-pass valve on the threaded end (so if it opens, it can't blow crud from the dirty side of the filter into you motor). I'm currently using the 25230 on my Soob (I don't know the 'Ford' part number that the 25230 crosses back to)

Thanks, I'll look at the FL-400 (neighborhood Autozone or Walmart- usual shopping places). Nice to know about the Purolators working though, too.

Now that I look at the FL-400S that I always keep handy at my desk (
smile.gif
) it looks like the bypass valve is on the threaded end. In fact all of the pile of filters in my garage has the valve at the thread end (Penske, Delco, Motocraft) and only the Supertechs have it at the closed end I believe, and I have 3 different ST filters with the valve at the closed end.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:

Dave

[ April 09, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: FL-400S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back