RX300 - noise after timing belt/waterpump change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up the car this morning from my usual mechanic.
They changed the timing belt/waterpump and other parts along the way that I bought from here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261110173477...A:3160&vxp=mtr

•AISIN WATER PUMP 16100-29085
•AISIN WATER PUMP GASKET
•MITSUBOSHI TIMIING BELT TB257
•KOYO TENSIONER 13505-62060
•KOYO IDLER TENSIONER 13503-62030
•GENUINE TOYOTA/NTN HYDRAULIC TENSIONER 13540-20021
•BANDO AC BELT K040345
•BANDO PWR STEERING BELT K060410

Everything above were replaced and I have all the old parts in hand.

Took the car to work from there and didn't hear anything weird for the 45 mins drive.
Got off work and started the car and I start hearing this noise under the hood.
I opened the hood and it comes on and off. Since I no longer have the belt squeal noise anymore from AC/steering belt. I was expecting a static noise while the car is idling.

I have uploaded 3 videos. First two are taken at work parking lot. Last one was taken after 45 mins drive back home.

What could it be? It's too late to call my mechanic and ask, so I want to get some opinions first and then I'll head back there tomorrow morning(without appointment) as I don't think this is normal and I don't know if I can keep driving this throughout the long weekend to various destinations that takes hrs.

Sorry for the long story. The clips are relative short at 30 sec or so each. Please have a listen.
21.gif

At work parking lot:
http://youtu.be/CmymMx8jBRA
http://youtu.be/vc7eRLUYGA8

After drive home:
http://youtu.be/49obfkkZ4X4

It sounds to me like either your mechanic bent a timing cover and it's now rubbing or you have a dog who sniffs at the microphone of your video recording device. Neither of these are emergency situations, but there's also the remote possibility that your mechanic left a bolt loose. If he left a bolt loose that could turn into a broken timing belt very quickly so your plan of bringing it back seems very sensible to me.

Sounds like the spring may have been dislodged from the tensioner roller assembly. If so, it could be dangling and touching the spinning roller intermittently.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Definitely take it back, let them deal with it.

Whatever it is.

I have found some timing belts do not like the sprockets they are forced onto. MITSUBOSHI Timing Belt? Never heard of it. I would go OEM here. Or a name brand such as Gates.

Ken

Originally Posted By: Ken42
I have found some timing belts do not like the sprockets they are forced onto. MITSUBOSHI Timing Belt? Never heard of it. I would go OEM here. Or a name brand such as Gates.

Ken

Mitsuboshi is OE.

I've used it on my RX as well.

Ken

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Ken

Mitsuboshi is OE.

I've used it on my RX as well.

Everything I bought should be relative OEM parts as the old parts that mechanic pulled off are the same brand. Of course I wouldn't know where exactly some of these made in, but most have Japan stamped on them.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Take off that timing cover shown in the video, i bet you'll find scratch marks and your answer.

I'd have to take a few stuff before I can get to the cover to fully remove it if I remember correctly from tutorial videos.

If it's truly scratching, wouldn't there already be damages to the new timing belt?

Originally Posted By: wing0
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Take off that timing cover shown in the video, i bet you'll find scratch marks and your answer.

I'd have to take a few stuff before I can get to the cover to fully remove it if I remember correctly from tutorial videos.

If it's truly scratching, wouldn't there already be damages to the new timing belt?

Soooo... Someone Who Isn't Me (SWIM) like... TOTALLY ISN'T ME... screwed the pooch on his 120K service of a Nissan Pathfinder and left the cam sprocket bolts un-tightened when he put everything back together. SWIM was quite puzzled by the noise(s) the engine was making after reassembly but SWIM finally figured it out. That's all I'll say. I don't want to damage SWIM's reputation on this forum any more than it already is.

FYI, SWIM found, much to his relief, that the belt was undamaged.

The mechanic took a look and pushed on the plastic timing belt cover against the metal backplate and the noise disappeared.

He said they had to take out the backplate in order to get the waterpump out because the bolts were hard to take off.

Anyways, the backplate was not completely straight and the pulley was scratching it and that's where the noise was coming from.
They opened the plastic cover and straighten the backplate further and now no more noises.

Thank God, it was not something loose inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back