200k vs 100k timing belt change

Took off the timing belt at 200k on my Odyssey. All Honda-branded parts underneath, and I'm wondering if I'm the first person to do a timing belt change or not. The previous owner said he had replaced it, and that he worked at a Honda dealership, so maybe he purchased all OE parts for the job. But I'm feeling a tiny bit of play in the water pump shaft and quite a bit of looseness in the bearings of the idler and tensioner. Belt doesn't show any signs of cracking, but it feels kind of soft and smooth, hard to explain.

In other news, it had Autolite spark plugs in there, so at least the plugs were not original.

The Odyssey I had before this one was a similar story - I was told the belt had been replaced, but when I did the job at 200k, it looked a lot like original parts. But I don't remember any of the parts feeling worn at all. In particular I remember the water pump felt tight. That was years ago, though.

How about you? Ever do the second scheduled timing belt change and have suspicions that it might have been the first?

Took off the timing belt at 200k on my Odyssey. All Honda-branded parts underneath, and I'm wondering if I'm the first person to do a timing belt change or not. The previous owner said he had replaced it, and that he worked at a Honda dealership, so maybe he purchased all OE parts for the job. But I'm feeling a tiny bit of play in the water pump shaft and quite a bit of looseness in the bearings of the idler and tensioner. Belt doesn't show any signs of cracking, but it feels kind of soft and smooth, hard to explain.

In other news, it had Autolite spark plugs in there, so at least the plugs were not original.

The Odyssey I had before this one was a similar story - I was told the belt had been replaced, but when I did the job at 200k, it looked a lot like original parts. But I don't remember any of the parts feeling worn at all. In particular I remember the water pump felt tight. That was years ago, though.

How about you? Ever do the second scheduled timing belt change and have suspicions that it might have been the first?

Ive seen this many times on used cars, when I was doing the job myself or with a friend where the belt job was supposedly done.

People often ignore this for a variety of reasons expense being the biggest one.

Yes, I am about to do a timing belt on a V8 toyota at 138k miles. Carfax implies a timing belt service was performed, but the wording in carfax was not tight, along with the absense of Toyota sticker under the hood that states the date and mileage of timing belt service.

Yes, I am about to do a timing belt on a V8 toyota at 138k miles. Carfax implies a timing belt service was performed, but the wording in carfax was not tight, along with the absense of Toyota sticker under the hood that states the date and mileage of timing belt service.
My mechanic said he never saw one break from lots of miles. Was always age like over 7 yrs when they broke.

A couple mechanics have told me they've rarely seen the belt break (on it's own). It's usually the tensioner that goes and then it damages the belt (??). They've also mentioned that the belts typically look "good" when they're replaced so you can't determine if they're good or bad just on visual alone.

If the original owner really worked at a Honda dealership, he/she could certainly have gotten the job done for a reasonable rate and yes, using Honda parts.

If he worked at a honda dealership why would you be so surprised it had honda branded parts?
A buddy mine used to be a tech at honda and he said on most vehicles they don't bother with the tensioner on the first timing belt change and the water pump is only recommended but not typically changed unless asked specifically or there are problems. It wouldn't be surprising if the tensioner and wp is original and the belt was indeed changed.

I would call or go to the dealership and ask them for the record and see if it was in fact replaced. Carfax could also give you that information but obviously that isn't free and is not always a guarantee.

If there is no record don't risk it and change it with OEM parts when possible, the only aftermarket timing belts I trust is GATES but even then OEM first.

Also when it comes to the majority Honda and even Toyota owners they are very set on OEM only from what I have seen over the years.

I had the timing belt replaced 8 yrs ago on Pilot at dealer and they did not put any sticker under hood. We replaced it 6 months ago and the shop (non dealer) this time did use sticker out of the kit to indicate it was replaced.

I would call or go to the dealership and ask them for the record and see if it was in fact replaced. Carfax could also give you that information but obviously that isn't free and is not always a guarantee.

Which is why when buying a belt driven car if proof of the parts and or work is not given up front - an immediate belt/pump/roller job at MSRP is taken off the sell price, but it sounds like that boat sailed for the op.

Which is why when buying a belt driven car if proof of the parts and or work is not given up front - an immediate belt/pump/roller job at MSRP is taken off the sell price, but it sounds like that boat sailed for the op.
Yea, I mean I could go on and on about what people said was done to vehicles but in fact was not done. Without proof take it with a grain of salt. Often times people who are selling cars just say whatever they can to get it sold. After it is sold they don't give a **** because it is on you because you bought it as is.

I doubt it's the original. Those hydraulic belt tensioners barely make it 100K without puking oil.

This thread has taught me to not only keep the paperwork from a belt replacment, but it might make sense if space available to keep the replaced parts, as part of the sales process if applicable/

Savvy buyers know this when I sold my lexus I made it a point to mention the belt/waterpump/rollers were done and they guy unsurprisingly asked me to show him.

At min scan the invoices - they'll have dates and info.
I insist on the parts back and photo the parts right at the dealer/shop on pick up and pitch them after documenting.

In 2023 this is a great way to not wind up buying a car.

Yeap, most sellers would laugh at that. They know the next person in line won't ask (or know to ask).

If they lied about the car having a belt job, then they probably lied about other things.

In 2023 this is a great way to not wind up buying a car.

You have to be ready to walk if you dont get/negotiate the right deal, if you arent in a position to walk then taking a bad deal is on you.

Iirc with Volvos, and possibly toyota, the WP may not typically be replaced at 100k. idk about Honda.

ive never had a Honda pump fail, following their standard maintenance schedule. What does the factory service identify for 100k vs 200?

growing up, it seemed like water pumps lasted about 60k. Now some oems easily make it 150.

i like to change all the parts when I’m in there, because i hate doing rework.

ive never had a Honda pump fail, following their standard maintenance schedule. What does the factory service identify for 100k vs 200?

growing up, it seemed like water pumps lasted about 60k.
Honda used to say around 60k for timing belts and every mechanic would up-sell and advise to change the other bits "while we're in there". Nowadays Honda says 105k/7 years or it's hidden now and the Maintenance Minder tracks it. It probably still just gets triggered around 105k anyway 'cause I don't think driving conditions make much difference (never did in the past, at least).

Back