200k vs 100k timing belt change

Honda used to say around 60k for timing belts and every mechanic would up-sell and advise to change the other bits "while we're in there". Nowadays Honda says 105k/7 years or it's hidden now and the Maintenance Minder tracks it. It probably still just gets triggered around 105k anyway 'cause I don't think driving conditions make much difference (never did in the past, at least).
I just had mine replaced on the MDX, belt looked great and I went 2 years past Honda's time interval for replacement. Mileage is at 88K. First owner was in Phoenix and where I live it's the opposite extreme so combined with the primarily city driving this has had it goes to prove the belts are robust and it appears Honda's current interval is still quite conservative. But, peace of mind with an interference engine is worth a lot.

Sadly people ignore the timing belt maintenance due to cost, but at the same time roll the dice for a new cylinder head or worse.

Yeap, most sellers would laugh at that. They know the next person in line won't ask (or know to ask).
Yep, just got a cheap Honda yesterday with 140k miles. Owner had no idea if the belt was changed. Wouldn't budge from his lowest price knowing someone else wouldn't know or care. I took a gamble since the serpentine belts looked changed and didn't leak a drop of oil. Hoping it had a decent maintenance history.

Sadly people ignore the timing belt maintenance due to cost, but at the same time roll the dice for a new cylinder head or worse.
I don't understand it, it's a planned expense that happens likely only once for most owners and it's more spendy than most routine services but still not bad. If people are too broke to budget for this job in advance, assuming they are aware of it, they shouldn't own a car.

I don't understand it, it's a planned expense that happens likely only once for most owners and it's more spendy than most routine services but still not bad. If people are too broke to budget for this job in advance, assuming they are aware of it, they shouldn't own a car.
So you reckon not having a car to go to work and such is going to help their financial situation?

belt looked great and I went 2 years past Honda's time interval for replacement
From the discussions I've had with people that change them (DIY) or mechanics, it seems like the belt itself usually shows little to no wear. In fact, most say it's almost never the belt that breaks, but the tensioner is what fails, then takes the belt with it.

I just had mine replaced on the MDX, belt looked great and I went 2 years past Honda's time interval for replacement. Mileage is at 88K. First owner was in Phoenix and where I live it's the opposite extreme so combined with the primarily city driving this has had it goes to prove the belts are robust and it appears Honda's current interval is still quite conservative. But, peace of mind with an interference engine is worth a lot.
The TB was probably in great shape (as usual) - but how was the hydraulic tensioner? Did it show any dampness around the plunger rod?

The third timing belt in the Legend is 23 years old and has ~180k miles on it. Yes, it's way over due. The original went 6 years, 136k; it's replacement went 7 years, 130k. Yes, it's an interference engine.

It doesn't mean replacement intervals don't exist; the weird thing is that NO WHERE does timing belt replacement appear as a maintenance item (time or mileage) in any Honda documentation for this car.

The third timing belt in the Legend is 23 years old and has ~180k miles on it. Yes, it's way over due. The original went 6 years, 136k; it's replacement went 7 years, 130k. Yes, it's an interference engine.

It doesn't mean replacement intervals don't exist; the weird thing is that NO WHERE does timing belt replacement appear as a maintenance item (time or mileage) in any Honda documentation for this car.
The owners manual for the '99 Accord I had had a part about timing belt maintenance and when it should be changed.

So you reckon not having a car to go to work and such is going to help their financial situation?
My point is that people need to budget more than monthly payments and insurance into cost of ownership of any vehicle, including jobs like this. All I'm saying is that they should do their homework before buying so that there is no such thing as "surprise" routine maintenance over $1k that they aren't prepared for.

My father went over on age on his pilots timing belt job. Hadn’t made it past 100k but was around 11 years or so. It let go on startup at the mall on his wife. He’s not local to me but I’ve spoken to Honda techs who said they’ve fixed many by just replacing the belt - no valve damage. His dealer claimed they tried, but it wasn’t possible…junkyard longblock went in.

As far as OP’s belt goes, I’d say it was probably replaced. A dealer tech understands the severity of ignoring a timing belt too long. He gets a great deal on parts so he would use and trust dealer parts. The auto lite spark plugs don’t make any sense to me, though.

I re-read and you never said he was a dealer tech, just a dealer employee. Maybe he had a tech there do the timing belt job and he did the plugs himself as they’re so easy to diy.

Maybe he had a tech there do the timing belt job and he did the plugs himself as they’re so easy to diy.
I'll wait to do my plugs until I hit 100K, but I hear the Acura version can be more of a pain because they use covered wire connectors which make them harder to undo and more likely to break. Or so they say...

My father went over on age on his pilots timing belt job. Hadn’t made it past 100k but was around 11 years or so. It let go on startup at the mall on his wife. He’s not local to me but I’ve spoken to Honda techs who said they’ve fixed many by just replacing the belt - no valve damage. His dealer claimed they tried, but it wasn’t possible…junkyard longblock went in.

As far as OP’s belt goes, I’d say it was probably replaced. A dealer tech understands the severity of ignoring a timing belt too long. He gets a great deal on parts so he would use and trust dealer parts. The auto lite spark plugs don’t make any sense to me, though.

I re-read and you never said he was a dealer tech, just a dealer employee. Maybe he had a tech there do the timing belt job and he did the plugs himself as they’re so easy to diy.
I agree a tech knows the importance however they also realize that the belt will go a lot longer without an issue. Saying that to imply that they can also charge the customer for the job but not actually do it. I experienced this with my last Accord. Long story short…I asked the service manager to look behind me and agreed it wasn’t charged. Refunded my money. A very well respected dealership in my area. There’s an assclown in every organization I guess.

The TB was probably in great shape (as usual) - but how was the hydraulic tensioner? Did it show any dampness around the plunger rod?
Not sure, I had an indy shop do it and I asked them to save the belt which they did but I never saw the tensioner.

Back