2013 Kia Optima turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer uses whatever oil was installed in the engine at the factory.

I don't believe Hyundai has any specific oil recommendations for their turbo engines, except the latest API specs. If you wanted to purchase better oil, use oils that meet the Honda spec, or if you can find them, European Spec 5W-30 oils.

BC.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
My son just bought a Kia Optima turbo. Which syn oils can I use?
I dont know which oil the dealer used as FF. On the oil cap I see " 5W30 oil recomended.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, wouldn't it make sense to follow the recommendation in the car's owner's manual? Since it is a brand new car, you should be following that recommendation to keep your new car warranty intact.

Any synthetic 5w-30 that meets dexos1 specifications. GM meant for that specification to deal well with turbos, and it does.

Recommend any 5w30 full synthetic. Change at 5k, not much longer. The turbo coupled with massive fuel dilution from being a GDI with destroy your oil. These motors are very hard on oil.
In Europe these motors call for 0w30/5w30 or 0w40/5w40.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Dealer uses whatever oil was installed in the engine at the factory.

I don't believe Hyundai has any specific oil recommendations for their turbo engines, except the latest API specs. If you wanted to purchase better oil, use oils that meet the Honda spec, or if you can find them, European Spec 5W-30 oils.

BC.

The Dealer does not use the same oil as factory fill. They use any oil that meets SN/GF-5 and is cheap/readily available in bulk.

To summarize:

Consult the owners manual as to required oil specifications and viscosity, then

Choose as oil that meets these specs and also meets Honda's HTO 6 (for turbo engines) and/or Dexos1. This will probably be a full-synthetic, but well worth it in a turbo application.

As others have mentioned, some direct injection engines (particularly turbo ones) have a tendency to contaminate the oil with fuel. So be cautious about stretching the OCI too far. It may be worthwhile to get a used oil analysis after the first few oil changes to see how much this particular engine is effected.

Since its a turbo a sythc is a must

Id recomend PP ,PU , Mobil1 , and Mobil Super Synth.

Put a P1 in there and dont change for atlease 6k , unless your son is young and he pushes the car alot.

IF it were my vehicle, I'd use Mobil 1 0W-40 in the summer and a 0W-30 in the cold winter. Heavy or light versions of a Caterham Blend will also do for the hot and cold climates.

I run PP 5w30 in my turbo Mazda DI and fuel dilution is not much of an issue as some think. I have 3 UOA over 18,000 miles using 6K OCs and wear results look excellent after breakin. Ed

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
Is the Fuel Dilution just as bad in the non-turbo 2.4 GDI?

It is likely worse. Most higher performing forced induction engines will have a lot of fuel dilution.

With a young driver I would consider the severe service interval. I raised 3! Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I run PP 5w30 in my turbo Mazda DI and fuel dilution is not much of an issue as some think. I have 3 UOA over 18,000 miles using 6K OCs and wear results look excellent after breakin. Ed

Some DI engines might not be as prone to fuel dilution as others. Just as some driving conditions might not be prone to fuel dilution as others. I think the Mazda DI design is one of the better designs.

Excess fuel dilution drives wear up as we know. However; we should look at the wear values first and if those values are good or excellent, then fuel dilution is a non issue. Too many look at fuel dilution first and ignore the wear values. Ed

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
My son just bought a Kia Optima turbo. Which syn oils can I use?
I dont know which oil the dealer used as FF. On the oil cap I see " 5W30 oil recomended.

I just bought a 2014 Kia Forte with a 2.0 GDI, according to the manual Kia just recommends a SN/GF4 or better. With yours being a turbo at the very least use a good 5W 30 Syn blend. My Kia dealership uses Mobil oil, I asked which one and they said a Mobil 1 blend 5W 30. Not sure what they are talking about since M1 does not make a blend, I'll find out when I take it in for my free OC. After my free OC I'm going to start using QSUD 5W 30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back