2013 silverado z71 21k miles rear main seal leak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I craw under my truck and see a wet spot right on the engine and tranny . It's not drip anything. Just wet looking. The truck is 2013 silverado Z71 5.3 full side 4 door with 3 inch lift kit 21k miles still under warranty on everything. Chevy Dealer change oil since day one . I think they using Mobil 1 or regular Mobil 5000. I check and the oil do not coming from top of engine . Both valve cover is dry and clean . Is this something I should be concern about ? Can seal/ gasket gone bad in such a low miles ? Mabe next oil change I will let the tech know about it.

Last edited:
It may be oil weeping from the oil pan gasket? You wouldn't think a main seal at this milage. Is your PCV system working?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
It may be oil weeping from the oil pan gasket? You wouldn't think a main seal at this milage. Is your PCV system working?

Oil pan look dry

Can you follow the wet spot up to the highest location? Is it in the vicinity of the oil filter? It could just be residual from changing it.

Something could be leaking but it's really unlikely at that age. Just to be safe I'd keep an eye on the fluid levels and mention it when you take it in for the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Can you follow the wet spot up to the highest location? Is it in the vicinity of the oil filter? It could just be residual from changing it.

Something could be leaking but it's really unlikely at that age. Just to be safe I'd keep an eye on the fluid levels and mention it when you take it in for the next oil change.

Forget to mention . I did note my oil pressure acting a bit abnormal lately . I need check to see if the oil pressure sending unit crack or something . This happens to my old 2000 z71 . But It was leak oil like crazy .

There is a guy on youtube who had the same problem with I believe a 2011. His truck was the 4.3L though and it did end up being a rear main seal, which was replaced under warranty.

Not the greatest thing to have happen after only 21k miles, but that's why vehicles have warranties since this stuff does happen.

My 2010 Ford FX4 had the same thing happen at about that same mileage--no dripping, just an oily spot. The seal was slightly canted when it was installed and started weeping. It took 2 trips to the dealer to convince them it was a rear seal leak.

I was not happy having the transmission and transfer case pulled on such a new vehicle (thinking it would never be the same or that other problems would develop). However, I am sitting at 105K and there has not been any other issues and the leak was fixed by replacing the seal.

Bottom line--have them fix it because the leak will only worsen over time and you should not have to live with a factory issue like that.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
My 2010 Ford FX4 had the same thing happen at about that same mileage--no dripping, just an oily spot. The seal was slightly canted when it was installed and started weeping. It took 2 trips to the dealer to convince them it was a rear seal leak.

I was not happy having the transmission and transfer case pulled on such a new vehicle (thinking it would never be the same or that other problems would develop). However, I am sitting at 105K and there has not been any other issues and the leak was fixed by replacing the seal.

Same here I don't like the tranny and my drive train being pull either. But I let them know next oil change

Bottom line--have them fix it because the leak will only worsen over time and you should not have to live with a factory issue like that.

GM had some issues up through 2010 (per the following TSB) of similar leaks at the rear main and oil pan areas. Not sure if more recent models are covered by an updated tsb, but I found this one from a few years back. Regardless you should definitely be covered under warranty.

05-06-01-034J:Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area
(Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure) - (Nov 12, 2009)

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2005-2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2003-2010 Chevrolet Corvette
2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2005-2010 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado SS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2006-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS, Impala SS
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado Pickup
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2009 GMC Envoy
2003-2010 GMC Sierra
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2007-2010 GMC Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
2003-2010 HUMMER H2
2006-2010 HUMMER H3
with 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L VORTEC™ GEN III or GEN IV V8 Engine (All Aluminum Block) (RPOs L33, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LM4, LS4, LS1, LS6, L76, L77, LFA, LZ1, LS2, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LS3, LS9, LSA, LS7)

This bulletin is being revised to add RPOs and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-034I (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak.

Cause
Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction
Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect the engine block and engine rear cover for porosity on the mating surfaces.
• If porosity is found on the engine rear cover (see illustration below), replace the engine rear cover assembly, GM P/N 12633579.
• If porosity is found on the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity.

The porosity issue is in the gasket sealing surface at the top of the cover, near the high pressure oil crossover port. Refer to the picture below. The oil leaks by the gasket and runs down the side of the cover, and may appear to be a leak at the t-joint area of the cover. The fix is to replace the cover with GM P/N 12633579. Also, if porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface of the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Important: Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

1. Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.
2. Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to #1 in the above illustration.
3. The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.

Important: Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

4. Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI.

I had the same issue with my 4.8L but wasn't covered under the TSB because it has a steel block granted the truck was still under warrenty I refused to have the repairs done because I didn't want the tranny removed and that's when I became a huge German Castrol fan. The leak (wet spot) on the transmission bell housing vanished. Maybe its the ester?

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
I had the same issue with my 4.8L but wasn't covered under the TSB because it has a steel block granted the truck was still under warrenty I refused to have the repairs done because I didn't want the tranny removed and that's when I became a huge German Castrol fan. The leak (wet spot) on the transmission bell housing vanished. Maybe its the ester?

Thanks for advise, but I see no point of me changing the oil to stop leak,since all mine still under warranty, but I been thinking switch to newer model silverado, I like how the front look
smile.gif

Don't be too surprised, while it's a different engine, I have a 2010 Impala with 50K miles that the RMS is leaking pretty bad too... The whole back of the motor is wet with oil. Has had a life of M1 5w-30 changed based off the OLM.

Trans cooler lines were also leaking until I completely replaced them and the fittings at both sides.

I guess the Chevy engineers that work on their seals just aren't up to par!

It will be under warranty though so I'd just bring it in. I still need to bring mine in.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Don't be too surprised, while it's a different engine, I have a 2010 Impala with 50K miles that the RMS is leaking pretty bad too... The whole back of the motor is wet with oil. Has had a life of M1 5w-30 changed based off the OLM.

Trans cooler lines were also leaking until I completely replaced them and the fittings at both sides.

I guess the Chevy engineers that work on their seals just aren't up to par!

It will be under warranty though so I'd just bring it in. I still need to bring mine in.

Got appointment bring mine in today at 11am . They say if need I could drive another truck home
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Hope it's a simple fix and you're back in your truck soon. Good luck

Thanks I hope something simple too .

Hopefully an easy fix! My friends Dad bought a '94 Silverado brand new and took it in at 10K miles because it was leaking in 5 different places. Weird things happen I guess but I thought that was crazy. The dealership fixed the leaks and he passed it on to his son eventually. He sold it with 300K and never had leak issues.

Update. Got a call and they tell me My left side valve cover leak in the back . My truck should be ready to pick up today . Phew haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back