Uncooked rice to dry inside of car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this and thought I'd share for you guys in the great white north.

A poster on another site complained that during the winter, the inside of his windows were covered with frost, thin coating of ice. He had to let his car warm up for five to ten minutes before he could drive every day to work. His commute was short, so he was actually spending more time warming up/thawing out than he was on the drive.

Solution, according to one response, was to put a bag of uncooked rice in the car. It would absorb the moisture that had accumlated and would allow a shorter "warm up/defrost" time.

While this isn't a problem here in Florida, I thought I would share just in case you guys in snow country were having a similar problem.

How would you place the rice in the car? How would it absorb moisture if its sealed in a bag? If its not bagged that would create a mess if spilled.

None the less, works the same as a cellphone in rice.

Originally Posted By: volk06
How would you place the rice in the car? How would it absorb moisture if its sealed in a bag? If its not bagged that would create a mess if spilled.

None the less, works the same as a cellphone in rice.

perhaps burlap?

There is a granule product called Damp Rid that works amazingly. Though rice has got to be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I guess it makes sense, until the rice is saturated...

I just spoke to my Uncle Ben and he says rice is good for that.
Make sure it's a Converted Rice though

His windows were probably dirty, too. That makes a huge difference; when they're clean there's less for the water vapor to stick to.

UNCLE BENZ ??

grin.gif

Last edited:
You'll need a lot of rice for that. I think silica desiccant from craft store would work better. You need to dry them once in a while in the oven. For rice you need to replace them or they will stink up after a while.

Short trips lots of humidity caused by the driver in dry cold conditions huffing and puffing, boots with snow, melting onto floor mats providing a constant humid environment.

I have seen this before. Not in my car though. I never do short trips and everyone who comes into my car is required to hit their feet together to remove excess snow or they don't ride. Defrost setting with working A/C allows a dry interior.

Don't keep any opened water bottle in the car. Don't leave your wet towel in the car. Don't leave your soggy gym bag in the car. Take the wet floor mat out of the car and dry them before putting them back in the car.

Otherwise, you will be fighting and scraping the inside of the windshield every single morning. Don't ask me how I know :-(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back