amsoil z-rod 20w-50 for my 70 Lincoln?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been looking around for a "better" oil than the Delo 15W-40 that I've been putting in my all original 70 Lincoln MKIII with the 460. Came across the Amsoil Z-Rod oil. Comes in 10w-30 and 20w-50. I live in south Texas and of course drive the car a LOT in extremely hot weather. Here's a link to the info on it:
Link to article

I know it's expensive, but I only drive about 3-4K a year. So I was planning on a OCI of 1 year.

What do you'all think? Am I crazy? Good idea?

As weasly said in another thread:

Quote:
Finally, this obsession with zinc content is somewhat folly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brandini
How about spend that money for a UOA before your next change?

I like this. The Delo is probably doing a fine job in this application.

For vintage OHV engines (and Ford made some of the best) 15W-40 Delo, like Buster said, is one terrific oil. Although I use Mobil-1 15W-50 in our 49 Dodge 3/4 ton and the 51 Plymouth, both original Mopar flatheads, I'd just about as soon have the Delo diesel oil in them. I think what works well for those 40+ yr. old OHV 8's is the same oil as worls best for 65 year old side-valve engines. You're already using one of the best oils ever produced for that vintage big-block.

Id probably run a 10w-30 HDEO myself. Probably a low power density, very large and cool running engine.

You could try Valvoline VR1 20W50. It's cheap,easy to find,and is supposed to have a high zddp level.

I agree with these guys. The Delo is a good choice. Also Valvoline VR1 is a good choice also. It comes in 10/30 10/40 and 20/50, but 20/50 might be alittle to thick. I had a 460 in my 77 Lincoln and ran 10/40 and it ran great. Car had 159k when I got rid of it and the engine was still running very smooth and no oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
So I've been looking around for a "better" oil than the Delo 15W-40 that I've been putting in my all original 70 Lincoln MKIII with the 460. Came across the Amsoil Z-Rod oil. Comes in 10w-30 and 20w-50. I live in south Texas and of course drive the car a LOT in extremely hot weather. Here's a link to the info on it:
Link to article

I know it's expensive, but I only drive about 3-4K a year. So I was planning on a OCI of 1 year.

Picture of that sweet ride would be most helpful.
20.gif

Yes. Pictures please!

Amsoil Z-rod would be good or Amsoil 15W-40 to save those couple bucks everyone is worried about. But frankly 1 year OCI isn't going to break the bank either way.

My uncle tried 20W-50 in his 460 Lincoln one summer back in the 70's. Seems like he had some start up knock in the morning, he dumped the oil pretty quick. No more problems.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
20.gif

ABSOLUTELY!! A Mark III is on my dream car list!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil Z-rod

^^Your Mark III deserves this. Give that beauty the very best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Link to article

20.gif

Your wish is my command! pics...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back