Oil for boosting oil pressure in 1950s V8

only pointing out that roller bearing engines are typically if not universally low pressure engines. Plain bearing engines typically have much higher pressure oiling systems in comparison.
True ... I was just pointing out that low oil pressure doesn't always mean inadequate lubrication is occurring, even with journal bearings. When the oil pressure drops in an engine with bottom end journal bearings while the pump is still healthy and the specified oil is used, it typically means the bearings are worn and their clearance has increased. But with the positive displacement oil pump, there will still be adequate flow volume to supply those bearings with oil. As long as that is happening, the hydrodynamic wedge within the bearing will be produced. The reason oil pressure is pretty high in an engine with bottom end journal bearings is because of the tight clearance of those bearings, as opposed to an engine with roller bearings in the bottom end.

One thing that can happen when the bottom end journal bearings are really worn is that they will flow more oil volume, which will cut back some oil volume from other parts of the oiling system. At what point that becomes an issue probably depends on the specific engine that it's happening to.

Last edited:
Back to this topics general direction & comments.about which oils are OK for the older cars etc.

I’ll be the first to admit that because my focus of the last 50 years has been primarily on the 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles of the ‘50’s and ‘’60’s, that I might just have some blinders firmly in place. And thereby not be understanding the nuances of comments which state or imply, that with the engines of the 50’s / ‘60’s, any old oil is fine, ie, no need to use the highest quality oil available.

If I’m not misinterpreting, why is that ?

Won’t these old iron engines benefit from superior oil technology as much as the new shiney rides coming out of the factories today ?

Z

There really aren't any "old oils" available today, unless you find some guy selling 20+ year old oil on eBay. Some current oils of today may not meet API "SP" specs simply due to their viscosity, but that doesn't mean the additive pack or quality is old technology.

There really aren't any "old oils" available today, unless you find some guy selling 20+ year old oil on eBay. Some current oils of today may not meet API "SP" specs simply due to their viscosity, but that doesn't mean the additive pack or quality is old technology.
I see Castrol has some in Europe, not sure if they are sold in the US.

Back