When are you getting YOUR IRS tax refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IRS site doesn't seem to like me. IRS refund status site Sure, I filed it 14 days ago, woo-hoo. But it says "Still processing" for mine.
frown.gif

I understand that everyone's is different, so.. When does (IRS E-file, or the IRS, or your bank, whatever whatever) say you are getting YOUR Federal return????

I owe 'em this year.

I had all kinds of money coming a couple years ago: they were matching what I put in my 401(k) by 10% to "stimulate the economy".

Then some chump filed a random return with my SSN and it took them 13 months to figure out the real me. Even though I had the same job, dependents, address etc as years before. I got my following years' return before I got the previous years!

It turns out this is really common!

So I'm more determined than ever to make sure I owe 'em.

Another motivating fact was a while ago my state decided if refunds were under $25 they just wouldn't cut checks. Sorry.
confused2.gif

I guess they don't like you. We filed a week ago today and here's what it says for ours.

Originally Posted By: IRS
Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank on February 15, 2013.

If your refund is not credited to your account by February 20, 2013, check with your bank to see if it has been received.

It has gotten to the point where I check it hourly.

How long could it take? I e-filed!

Your tax return is still being processed.
A refund date will be provided when available.

Isnt the IRS way behind and had some kind of bad issues? I thought I saw a month delay...

Paying too much to the IRS is problem #1. Why give a free loan?

I'm not in the habit of making interest free loans to anyone, including the government. I much prefer to hold onto my money, let it make money for me, and then send the government a check for the amount owed.

I've never understood why people get excited over a tax refund-it was their money to begin with, they let someone else use it interest free, and then they're thrilled when the get it back with no interest.

H&R Block said that the IRS isn't processing some educational credits (Hope, Higher Learning) until the 15th and Earned Income Credit deductions until March 1st. I guess due to some very late changes in the tax laws.

I am not looking at much of a refund this year.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

They update once a week. Even if you checked 2x a week you'll see it there before you see your money.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm not in the habit of making interest free loans to anyone, including the government. I much prefer to hold onto my money, let it make money for me, and then send the government a check for the amount owed.

I've never understood why people get excited over a tax refund-it was their money to begin with, they let someone else use it interest free, and then they're thrilled when the get it back with no interest.

^This

Set your taxes up so that you owe a small amount. Take the extra money you were sending to DC and pop it in a six month CD.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
H&R Block said that the IRS isn't processing some educational credits (Hope, Higher Learning) until the 15th and Earned Income Credit deductions until March 1st. I guess due to some very late changes in the tax laws.

I am not looking at much of a refund this year.

Ahhhh, THAT is what it is. I earned EIC.

Poo poo! March 1st!

Oh well.
frown.gif

I submitted my e-return through TurboTax on January 30th....the first day they started accepting returns.

I got my Federal Refund on Feb 7th. My State Refund on Feb. 12th.

But then today, I'm mailing out an amended return, because as it turns out, my fiance didn't make squat last year, so it's better if I claim her and her daughter as dependents.

[/quote]

Most people either can't or don't know how to save money, so they get excited when they actually get a huge some of money back all at once.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

A couple weeks

I dont get a refund - I keep the $$ up front then pay them a bit in april. If I owe too much, I toss some cash in my Roth Ira to knock down the payment (I qualify for the "senior catch up" $$). Better to give money to me than them , this upfront cash also allows me to dollar cost average more into my 401K throughout the year
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think tomorrow. Wifey submitted earlier this week. But who knows?

I've been trying to crank down our contribution, and would like to get where I cut a small check to them rather than get a large one back. The "thrill" of getting a large paycheck is gone; I could use the money more often now than some lump sum. We don't do big vacations, not with the kids having all sorts of things going on year round.

Only problem is, my wife just picked up a job, and with tax credits come and going, it's getting hard to predict. As long as the checks (either way) aren't big then it's what it is.

I do my taxes and my Dad's. His were done last week of Jan and he got his return on Feb 6th. He would have got it sooner but the IRS doesn't start processing returns until Jan 30th even though his return was accepted earlier. I am self employed so I always owe. Mine are done and paid. 2012 taxes done. Not looking forward to taxes in 2013 however.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
It had been that refunds went out on Friday mornings. From what I understand, the IRS is no longer following that rule. They say within 21 days, which is slower than last year. I often saw clients getting their refunds on the second Friday after filing. This year I just don't know because my clients tend to be a little more complex and my early filings are slower than usual. Some returns are held up for a short review for reasonableness and this can slow the refund for another week or two. This is usually the case with my personal return.

Also, I understand the Where is my refund site gives a definite date for your refund once it is approved.

You mean 'when are you getting back your money that the IRS has been using to earn interest that could have been yours for the whole year if you hadn't had so much deducted per month.'

I never get a big refund, and sometimes owe a little... because I choose to keep as much as I can in the first place.

Well, me and my wife were both able to claim an education credit. We received an email telling us that the IRS won't be processing those returns until mid-February. Still haven't heard back.

Filed for my brother though, and he got his back about 8 days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back