It's tax time

Just "roughed in" mine to get started - I always do it early so I can figure out how much I can put in my SEP IRA or HSA to negate any balance owed I have by 4/15. I've used TT for 20+ years, always works fine for me. I'm self-employed/LLC/indy consultant and never had issues with any of this beyond having the tax codes changes that did somewhat complicate things in recent years as they seemingly changed annually. I'm my own accountant, it's not challenging but is tedious to keep track all year but it makes tax time for me so much easier - I have effectively built my own spreadsheet tax model so I update all year to try to make sure I nail it (not much owed/not much returned) and really helps with figuring estimated tax payment when your income is variable. I secretly enjoy it. After being on my own for the last 6 years, I do get why many 1099 folks/Indies have issues doing their taxes and end up in trouble w/r to owing so much....those folks for sure should use a professional to help get them sorted.

For simple returns and if someone meets the income requirements, free file can can used off the IRS web site so someone has no need to buy tax software. It is getting more difficult to meet the requirements to itemize these days. I wish it were possible to deduct donations on the main form.
B/c the standard deduction is far more than what most people would ever itemize...sure is easier now.

Back