When are you getting YOUR IRS tax refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: Boatowner
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
If they had in fact lived with him for the entire year I would assume that he figured out long ago she was not working. Because he found out after filing his own tax return I would bet that she did not live with him the whole year if at all. That's why I said he could not claim them as dependents.

I love assumptions. I get plenty of people who come in and mention something and I get to tell them they overpaid their income tax. This is why using a tax program or a free online package is a bad idea for many people. You just can't do it right if you don't know what questions to ask. So Phishin though, "She isn't related to me so I can't deduct her." Then, at a party he is talking to a tax guy or gal and finds out he could have. Nothing changed except the level of his knowledge. I love the way you liberals always think the worst of people.

No you're wrong. You do realize that an amended return is reviewed by an actual IRS employee? Suddenly I have more dependents. The IRS are not stupid.

Okay, first of all, I did not say no one should prepare their own return. I said it is a bad idea for many people. Get offended if you want, but that is a fact, Jack. A lot of times we are not talking about two W-2s, a mortgage, wife and two kids.

Now to Mr. Expert, Do you have any idea how many amended returns I have prepared for taxpayers over the last 36 years? You know what? I can't recall a single amended return that resulted in an audit. Why? Because when a professional prepares an amended return he or she makes sure they have their facts right. When I add the person's fiance and daughter to the return the very first thing the IRS does is check to see if either filed a return or if either were claimed as dependents and any other income tax return. They also look at the obvious, like I do, and ask, can this guy afford one half of the support of these two on what he makes? I have already asked those questions and a lot more since I am not interested in losing my license.

Suddenly more dependents? Happens all the time.

See I study income taxes all year long. Anyone not in the business who prepares his own return studies them how long? Then how much time do they spend? Usually too much. You are a real estate agent, if I were willing to take you as a client, which I am not, I would bet my whole fee I could save you money.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Frontal Lobe Disorder:

Cognitive symptoms
Short attention span
Poor working memory
Poor short term memory
Difficulty in planning and reasoning
Environmental dependence syndrome

Emotional symptoms
Difficulty in inhibiting emotions, anger, excitement, sadness etc...
Depression, possibly due to above.
Occasionally, difficulty in understanding others' points of view, leading to anger and frustration.

Behavioural symptoms
Utilization behaviour
Perseveration behaviour
Inappropriate aggression
Inappropriate sexual behaviour
Inappropriate humour and telling of pointless and boring stories

Thanks for posting that Astro14. Very enlightening for me. A number of people here feel that one can overcome these things through will power and choice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Frontal Lobe Disorder:

Cognitive symptoms
Short attention span
Poor working memory
Poor short term memory
Difficulty in planning and reasoning
Environmental dependence syndrome

Emotional symptoms
Difficulty in inhibiting emotions, anger, excitement, sadness etc...
Depression, possibly due to above.
Occasionally, difficulty in understanding others' points of view, leading to anger and frustration.

Behavioural symptoms
Utilization behaviour
Perseveration behaviour
Inappropriate aggression
Inappropriate sexual behaviour
Inappropriate humour and telling of pointless and boring stories

Sounds about right. And I suffered head trauma when I was almost 17. "What happened to me would kill just about anybody and I don't feel comfortable saying the details." .. Sorry, can't even think of the best way to hint at it, ATM. I also believe in God.. before, during, and after the event. Can't let myself get to feeling down, that's akin to admitting defeat and lack of faith...

I put in an SSI app on Thursday. I would cut and paste it, but that would involve posting personal info and details, etc.

I am 30 and just about everyone says that I will need that to have a successful life.. I want to be a filmmaker and be creative, (hence the volvo, singer ladyfriend her and I are somewhat happy to see the car go, she isnt mad about that, we both have issues, etc etc etc etc etc etc now let us never speak of he Volvo again until the next one.)

This talk about EIC, Foodstamps.. is because JHZR2 is correct, I worked part-time this year. Work has always been "challenging" for me, and, yes, in a Rainman kind of way, since I am physically able, and that appears to be the whole sticky wicket on SSDI..................

Let's discuss.

Yesterday, on my way to the gym I was listening to the radio and the host made a good point as the topic was disability.

There are many who have overcome great disabilities to achieve success. He cited Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles who were both blind, and Stephen Hawking, who has some sort of degenerative nerve and perhaps other issues.

So in some respects, it's a matter of focus. Does one focus on what they can't do? Focus on the disabilities, or do you focus on what you can do?

As others have said, this isn't a personal attack, but simply an observation about trends. It seems instead of figuring out what folks can do, we just hand out checks because they appear to have a disability.

I think we are doing folks a grave disservice by simply handing out checks rather than figuring out where someone best fits in the job market.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
My eyes perked up when I read "A Biblically based curriculum that teaches people how to handle money God's ways." I have always been deeply religious.

Wouldn't "God's way of handling money" involve giving it to people who need it more than you? In fact, isn't accruing further wealth simply by using interest (usury) on your already-accumulated wealth a grave sin? I have never encountered a religion that doesn't view usury as a sin; yet I come across all sorts of "religious people" who strive to make their personal pile of treasure larger through it.

If the government wants to give their money away that is fine. The problem is they don't give theirs away, they take from others and give it away to suit their goals.
I can be against large government income transfers and still be Christian. In fact, I would argue that government social programs have helped make the church as lazy as some who work the system to stay on the dole.
So don't make the logical fallacy of assuming that just because some is against federal social programs that they are against helping others. I for one believe help should be personal, not federal.

Thanks to a small traditional to roth conversion, I'm paying a total of ~$2600 this year. At least its pay the tax now and never again on that money.

Churches learned long ago that they had to be really selective and careful about who got thier help/money. This is why the Feds stepped in. Unfortunately, the feds have not heeded the results that the churches learned years ago.

Since we make it somewhat hard to get on disability (but pretty easy if you have a "mentor"
mad.gif
) it's a decision not to take lightly, and hard to reverse. I know someone who worked two jobs: one physically demanding, one a desk job. He got injured at the physically demanding one and the way worker's comp works, he had to be ready to go back to work at both jobs at the same time. If he had a setback, it was "on him". I respect Wonder, Hawking, etc and they are the exceptions to the rule. 100x as many semi-disabled could do something semi-contributing to society even if it's just assembling pens for the Post Office.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Yesterday, on my way to the gym I was listening to the radio and the host made a good point as the topic was disability.

There are many who have overcome great disabilities to achieve success. He cited Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles who were both blind, and Stephen Hawking, who has some sort of degenerative nerve and perhaps other issues.

So in some respects, it's a matter of focus. Does one focus on what they can't do? Focus on the disabilities, or do you focus on what you can do?

As others have said, this isn't a personal attack, but simply an observation about trends. It seems instead of figuring out what folks can do, we just hand out checks because they appear to have a disability.

I think we are doing folks a grave disservice by simply handing out checks rather than figuring out where someone best fits in the job market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back