Witch's Brew for long drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend's car is due for an oil change soon. Was going to do a freebie.

The car is an out-of-warranty Honda that takes 5w-20, and is known to be very easy on oil. I was going to go out and purchase some Mobil 1 5w20 (OLM goes about 10k), but then I looked on my shelf and saw the following open bottles:

1.2 qt QS Ultimate Durability 5w20 API SN
0.6 qt QS Ultimate Durability 0w20 API SN
1.0 qt Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 API SN
1.0 qt Castrol Edge 5w20 API SN
0.6 qt Toyota 0w20 full-synthetic

So, I have just enough oil for this oil change if I add all of the bottles together. This mix will probably be used for 7500 miles or so.

Do you guys foresee any issues?

Hey I'd do it. But then I'm a bit like Austen Powers, I like to live dangerously.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I think 6 quart bottles that aren't full would anger me if i didn't have a stash and had already drained my old oil. Use em up and get rid of the clutter. It hurts initially but i buy 2 5qt (or 1G) jugs at a time, as my car takes 6.5 quarts anyway.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it to somebody else's car.

And too be honest I would be concerned about putting so many different oils in one car for a significant length of time and mileage.

It may be fine, but then how much does it cost to buy some Honda 5w20 or indeed Mobil 1 5w20?

In the US a lot less than the UK and in the UK I can get 5litres of Mobil 1 0w40 for £30.

Again I may just be a pessimist.

But as you say the car is now out of warranty it could be 4 yrs old or 10 yrs old.

I just don't see the benefit in playing chemist with somebody else's rather expensive Honda engine.

Its not going to hurt anything. My dad ran a toyota tercel 250000 miles on 20w-50....optimal versus it'll work are often confused on this site

On the other side of the continent I have all this valvoline 5w20 I got real cheap on amazon and nothing to put it in.
laugh.gif

I'd do it in a heartbeat. What do you think happens when you change brands of oil? All that residual just instantly converts from Islam to Church of God, lol?

Go for it, I use widow and orphan qts. lots of times in my Aerostar. The engine was fine, everything else fell apart around it.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Its not going to hurt anything. My dad ran a toyota tercel 250000 miles on 20w-50....optimal versus it'll work are often confused on this site

Not sure how that relates to mixing different kinds of oil.

Viscosity isn't my concern. Possible contamination of several previously opened and then stored containers is.

And I have no problem with mixing oils, happens every day when you have to do a top up without a spare container of your usual oil.

But when you start to mix 4,5 or 6 different oils I consider the possible risks to outweigh any possible fiscal advantage.

If I really had to do it, say I lost all my oil due to a filter problem, I had a spare filter but shops were all closed and I had to go somewhere I would risk it in my own car, but not for a longish OCI and not in somebody else's car.

Not when oil is so cheap in the US.

I just don't see it being worth the risk.

I am sure there will be somebody along that can be more scientific in their opinion but I just don't see how it is worth it.

The cost saving is miniscule.

Why risk it?

My thought is that all of those oils alone could probably do 7500 mile OCIs. SN oils mix without issue. Even if you mix and end up with the lowest common denominator, you are still good to go.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Viscosity isn't my concern. Possible contamination of several previously opened and then stored containers is.

That doesn't bother me, provided that I'm the one who opened used and stored the bottles. If it was someone else, then that's a different story.

Last edited:
How far along is the car in its lifecycle? If its not going to be kept much longer then go for it. If its 4 years old and has to go for 150k miles then I'd just buy a new jug, no sense tempting fate.

Long time exposure to a mix like that might do a miniscule amount of damage. He is using the same 20 grade oil the vehicle requires, so what is the problem?

Originally Posted By: LckydevL
He is using the same 20 grade oil the vehicle requires, so what is the problem?

Plus its a Honda and those oils are quality oils. I don't see a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back