Lexus CT / Prius gen 3 - API SN? API SP?

Hello! Long time lurker here. I tried to look everywhere but I could not see must information for SN+ vs SP for hybrids so I am now asking for the sake of the record and for the sake of my CT.
I've got a 50k miles '14 CT which has seen Toyota AFE Extra TGMO (link) for most of its life.
I am wondering if it worth switch from the dealer oil to some API SP goodness.

What oil I have found in UK that are SP approved and 0w20 are:

Ravenol USVO ECS
Ravenol USVO EFS
Ravenol USVO DFE
Shell Helix Ultra Pure Plus
Castrol EDGE Titanium
Mobil Super 3000
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (link)

Cheers

tgmo 0w-20 is decent although some would say it's blended with lucas. But a lot of what you'll find is gonna be better and about all of those are better. Super 3000 is probably the closest to the dealer fill. I'd use about any of them to be honest.

You can use any major brand of 0W-20. SP is backwards compatible with the previous designations. No need to overthink this

If UK TGMO is like TGMO 0W-20 in the US, it's blended with lighter base oils than others, so probably doesn't score as well in Noack volatility, and has a lot of VII. I use Pennzoil (Shell to you) partly for that reason. With these engines, it is especially important to chose an oil than minimizes ring sticking and consequent oil consumption.

Last edited:
If UK TGMO is like TGMO 0W-20 in the US, it's blended with lighter base oils than others, so probably doesn't score as well in Noack volatility, and has a lot of VII. I use Pennzoil (Shell to you) partly for that reason. With these engines, it is especially important to chose an oil than minimizes ring sticking and consequent oil consumption.
Which pennzoil 0w20 you are using? I could get the Shell Ultra and do an oil report to see if they match if you are into this.
I see that you also have the same engine as mine so even more reasons.

Hello! Long time lurker here. I tried to look everywhere but I could not see must information for SN+ vs SP for hybrids so I am now asking for the sake of the record and for the sake of my CT.
I've got a 50k miles '14 CT which has seen Toyota AFE Extra TGMO (link) for most of its life.
I am wondering if it worth switch from the dealer oil to some API SP goodness.

What oil I have found in UK that are SP approved and 0w20 are:

Ravenol USVO ECS
Ravenol USVO EFS
Ravenol USVO DFE
Shell Helix Ultra Pure Plus
Castrol EDGE Titanium
Mobil Super 3000
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (link)

Cheers
SN+ = LSPI test.

SP = LSPI test + TGDI timing chain wear test.

The timing chain wear test under SP uses a TGDI engine which has been modified to allow for excessive blow-by in order to load the oil with soot.

SP would be fine.

Last edited:
SN+ = LSPI test.

SP = LSPI test + TGDI timing chain wear test.

The timing chain wear test under SP uses a TGDI engine which has been modified to allow for excessive blow-by in order to load the oil with soot.

SP would be fine.
but does that TGDI timing chain wear test make any sense for the 2ZR-FXE hybrid from Toyota?

but does that TGDI timing chain wear test make any sense for the 2ZR-FXE hybrid from Toyota?

Yes. It makes sense for any engine with a timing chain. Timing chains used to be big and wide. The modern timing chain is narrower. Some timing chains are long and travel many turning points to accommodate the engine.

Anything that improves timing chain wear including the guides is a plus.

Which pennzoil 0w20 you are using? I could get the Shell Ultra and do an oil report to see if they match if you are into this.
I see that you also have the same engine as mine so even more reasons.
I've used mostly their Platinum 5W-20, plus one change of Platinum 0W-20. and 1½ changes of Quaker State Full Synthetic. However, through its first 61522 miles, and at two subsequent oil changes, it got TGMO 0W-20 at the dealer.
So far, at 136200 miles, no high oil consumption, for which these engines are infamous when the rings stick. I haven't seen a definitive explanation why many examples turn into oil guzzlers, while others don't, even at higher mileage.

tgmo 0w-20 is decent although some would say it's blended with lucas. But a lot of what you'll find is gonna be better and about all of those are better. Super 3000 is probably the closest to the dealer fill. I'd use about any of them to be honest.
Do you mean blended BY Lucas? Blended with Lucas suggests (to me, at least) that Lucas oil is in the TGMO bottle to some degree.

Do you mean blended BY Lucas? Blended with Lucas suggests (to me, at least) that Lucas oil is in the TGMO bottle to some degree.
I didn't mean that in a literal sense. I mean that as it having a very high polymer or vii which people call plastic and attribute that to Lucas OS since that's what it is.

I didn't mean that in a literal sense. I mean that as it having a very high polymer or vii which people call plastic and attribute that to Lucas OS since that's what it is.
What is Lucas OS?

I've used mostly their Platinum 5W-20, plus one change of Platinum 0W-20. and 1½ changes of Quaker State Full Synthetic. However, through its first 61522 miles, and at two subsequent oil changes, it got TGMO 0W-20 at the dealer.
So far, at 136200 miles, no high oil consumption, for which these engines are infamous when the rings stick. I haven't seen a definitive explanation why many examples turn into oil guzzlers, while others don't, even at higher mileage.
Piston and piston rings were rectified to resolve this issue in 2014 and 2015 in the CT. That's why you didn't see it on all the cars perhaps...?

I remember seeing a TSB at some points which specifies from a VIN onwards the models that were having the rings changes.

Piston and piston rings were rectified to resolve this issue in 2014 and 2015 in the CT. That's why you didn't see it on all the cars perhaps...?

I remember seeing a TSB at some points which specifies from a VIN onwards the models that were having the rings changes.
Yes, that was mid-year upgrade. It would be interesting to know more about why some older ones are affected earlier and worse than others. Oil choice is probably only one factor, along with change intervals, driving habits, terrain, etc.

Back