K&N destroys another engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiot owner. I no longer run K&N either, but not because I'm scared. I hate their maintenance, so I run performance dry filters now. I cleaned my dad's K&N on his Duratec 3.0 a few summers ago. It had over 40k mis of crud on it. The filter and inside of the box looked filthy. They had driven many gravel roads. There were cattails in there, bugs, etc. I pulled the filter. I took a white paper towel and did the wipe test on the intake tube. It came back clean. I recharged, and reinstalled his K&N.

Wow, that intake looks absolutely horrible. He's definitely going to get a CEL for the MAF soon, it is not going to like all that [censored] on the wires. Does the truck burn oil yet? If not, it will soon.

I use paper filters now.
But in all fairness, a few other factors caused this water ingestion. The K+N is really not to blame here.

Any filter sold to be installed without an airbox is asking for trouble.
The air box protects from direct contamination, plus takes in high speed air through the intake, drops the speed in the higher volume air box so heavy particles (dirt or water) can drop out, then draws the drier, cleaner air across the filter at the rate the engine needs it.

So the design is more of a problem than the filter media.

Operator error once again.... That same thing would have happened if it had any other open air filter element.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Another guzzler FORD off the road. Thanks Darwin !
smile.gif

Pour a gallon water in the intake of your Honda or Subaru. See how they hold up. It's not Ford's fault some mongoloid tried to make his truck swim.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
smile.gif

Pour a gallon water in the intake of your Honda or Subaru. See how they hold up. It's not Ford's fault some mongoloid tried to make his truck swim.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
smile.gif

OUCH! An astonishingly un-cool comment in an open forum!

No one is saying it is Ford's problem. Their design was fine. The problem is idiots thinking they need to believe advertising and adapt a K&N to it, eliminating the air box to follow instructions.

The fact that it got wet is just a normal condition here. When it rains the streets fill with water. Wheels and fans pick up that water and throw it everywhere. Any filter that does not use an air box is susceptible to the same. In this case, the K&N, whether by design or negligence contributed the dust.

I have another case that IS Ford's fault. The made in Thailand Ranger pickups last year had their air box, but with the intake down at bottom of the side near the fan. Out of 400 sold here, there are at lease a dozen hydrolocked, and several other dozen with spun or worn bearing where the dealer built back oil pressure with 20W-50 to compensate the wear from water-filled oil.

Those that actually spun within the 100,000 km warranty were repaired, but no change to the air box since the dealer insists that Ford never makes mistakes.

Slightly
32.gif
the reason that I fitted a snorkel to my Nissan was that Nissan collected the air in the passenger wheel well, and I DID suck water while traversing 3" of standing water.

Stupid location.

User error not problem with K&N imo. I am new here but I've run an open K&N air filter under my hood for years. I drive it in the rain and never had a problem. Never had dirt in my intake either.

Originally Posted By: widman
The air box protects from direct contamination, plus takes in high speed air through the intake, drops the speed in the higher volume air box so heavy particles (dirt or water) can drop out, then draws the drier, cleaner air across the filter at the rate the engine needs it.

^ This is why my airbox is 100% stock, which is rare among many Subaru enthusiasts.

HPIM2763.jpg

grin2.gif

Stock airbox and Amsoil Ea air filter FTW!

-Dennis

The OP's photo is definitely not of a K&N kit.

This is how the K&N for the 6.2L Raptor is supposed to be installed:

77-2579KTK_Eng1.jpg

They don't have any installed photos for the 5.4L, but as you can see from the product photo, it does have shielding:

57-2575.jpg

One thing to note is that there are shields the keeps the filter separate from the open engine bay (maybe do some basic research before accusing the manufacturer of providing instructions that eliminate such shielding). Another thing is that the filter is supposed to be red due to the K&N oil. The pre-oiled filters are the gray/black color as seen in the OP's photo, which may be further evidence that it is not a real K&N and/or that it got thoroughly wet at one point, which, as pointed out by a previous poster, ruins its ability to filter.

I agree that K&N is not at fault here.

The filter looks like it may have been red at one point in time, but the CAI is clearly home made, as is the shielding. The kits NMBurb02 posted above make that abundantly clear.

Somebody ghetto rigged something, and this is the result IMHO.

I freely admit I detest K&N filters more than most. I have seen the damage they cause, but this one isn't the fault of K&N. Installer/user error.

Originally Posted By: widman

Best post of this thread thus far. I would never delete an airbox... I *might* modify it to reduce some deliberate restrictions installed for sound reduction, but I'd never remove it or alter its ability to slow air prior to the filter and thus separate water spray and heavier dirt particles from the air. Nor would I use a cold air setup that didn't include a proper airbox on an all-weather-driven vehicle.

Water doesn't compress very well, (;))
and there isn't much space in a high compression cylinder head at TDC. Ever see an outboard motor after it jumped off a transom and hit the water running? Doesn't take much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back