Fuel additive Castrol TBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol claims its TBE is multifunctional fuel additive: cleans, lubricates, helps to prevent gas ageing and fight corrosion etc., but everytime I put in the tank, the engine starts to work as if I just added 1/3 of a lousy gas. Think this is not normal and may be not too safe, but Castrol recommends to add TBE at every gas fill ! Would somebody clarify what happens and give some recommendations ?

TBE composition (as per MSDS):

Hydrocarbyl amine ........ 5-10 %
Alkyl phenol ................. 1–5 %
Kerosine - unspecified ... 1–5 %
Straight run kerosine ..... 1–5 %
Potassium Carboxylate ... 1–5 %
Solvent naptha
(petroleum) light arom. .. 1–5 %

You may have a partially clogged fuel filter, since the ingredients are some fairly powerful solvents.

I have seen some fuel system cleaners dissolve the gunk in the gas tank and then pass them on to the fuel filter.

This happens irrespective of filter: I always change it at 50 % of recommended interval. Now it's new, but the situation is repeated. The next gas fill everything is OK, i.e. without additive engine works better. It looks like additive makes worse gas burning properties: gas becomes more oily or its final boiling point is increased. FBP of our gas is too high: 205-210 C.

10 ml for every 10 l of gas. Given bottle design it's quite difficult to be fully exact, that's why this year I try to put 50 ml for 60 l and to repeat it every third fill only. I aslo noticed that if to use the stuff as it's recommended by Castrol, i.e. every fill, the oil is darkening too quick. May be it's better to abstain from such "treatment" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back