Mobil 1 0W20 VS Amsoil 0W-20 Signature Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a 10000 mile oil change interval and a TRD oil filter would I see any benefit from either of these.

Is one more stout and has a stronger additive package for engine protection?

Vehicle is a Toyota FJ cruiser 2012.

Price is not a factor.

Thanks

You want to use the M1 0W-20, as it is API-certified, and that will most likely be required for your warranty.

Amsoil has 2 0W-20's that are API-certified, the 'XL' and 'OE' 0W-20. IF you want to go with Amsoil, maybe choose one of those.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You want to use the M1 0W-20, as it is API-certified, and that will most likely be required for your warranty.

Amsoil has 2 0W-20's that are API-certified, the 'XL' and 'OE' 0W-20. IF you want to go with Amsoil, maybe choose one of those.

I'm not an Amsoil user, but Amsoil fans seem to react pretty violently when the possible warranty implications of using Signature Series are brought up. Is this a theoretical complication or have warranty claims actually been denied because it isn't API-certified?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I'm not an Amsoil user, but Amsoil fans seem to react pretty violently when the possible warranty implications of using Signature Series are brought up. Is this a theoretical complication or have warranty claims actually been denied because it isn't API-certified?

Violently? I haven't seen that.

It's been brought up constantly here. It really comes down to exactly what the WRITTEN warranty says. SS meets the requirements of API, so it's not automatically a warranty violation to use it. No one here or anyone I have ever known or seen has a warranty issue with Amsoil SS.

Now back to the original question. I say use Amsoil XL, pocket the savings and enjoy the better UOA than M1.

The more I research Amsoil the more I am liking it.

If you are looking at Mobil 1 0W20 as well you are best served with Toyota 0W20.

It is a better formula that gives lower wear numbers and has a better VI, and it is made by Exxon anyway. Also, most dealerships will sell for 5.75$ a litre...

People complain about the distribution model for Amsoil, but their products are the real deal apparently. I have yet to try any myself, but I have never seen one bad UOA for their products in any weight, and the runs are insanely long.

TGMO blended by XOM better than one of XOM's flagships products. I do not buy that sorry. Given the choice I would go with one of Amsoil's offerings.

I was in the auto repair business at dealer level almost 30 years. NEVER had any one on a unit failure ever ask about a fluid being certified. Just questions like if the unit that failed had ever been serviced,how often,any obvious contaminants etc. I would think that Amsoil Signature series has got a far superior additive pack over Mobil 1. Its also designed for a lot longer OCI then 10k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
I was in the auto repair business at dealer level almost 30 years. NEVER had any one on a unit failure ever ask about a fluid being certified. Just questions like if the unit that failed had ever been serviced,how often,any obvious contaminants etc. I would think that Amsoil Signature series has got a far superior additive pack over Mobil 1. Its also designed for a lot longer OCI then 10k.

I have never been asked what oil I have used for warranty work either but the BITOG will not believe you or I. I have not even been asked to prove if the oil had been changed or not.

Originally Posted By: hounddog

x1000

Dave, I only go by the research on BITOG and the net, I have never tried TGMO 0W20 yet but from what I have been reading I feel like changing my oil in the dark in my pajamas to give it a run.

I have 4 bottles I plan on using next, and I always kept calculated mileage for my fit at each fill up, so maybe this Toyota 0W20 is going to be a big let down.

Also, I really paid attention to the sound of my valvetrain over the past 2 years... I'll be sure to post all my experiences with TGMO 0W20.

Please note, I have yet to run ANY 0W20... So I should notice some differences I am hoping. I'll just say if my valvetrain is a lot noisier I'll be going back to QSUD 5W20. That stuff is engine butter.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
enjoy the better UOA than M1.

36.gif
hooked.gif

Ok, Deven, I'll bite...

The high FE UOAs I have read from Mobil 1 5W20 SM got me to get my two jugs I got on sale out of my stash and sell them for 30$ a jug to a guy I'm training with.

Now I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, it was very silly of me, but I got my money back close enough that I can get two jugs of QSUD and pocket some change as it is 24$ a jug at WM.

Am I happy about that? Why yes, indeed, I am. My car just purrrrs on QSUD and I have seen UOAs that let me rest easy from other Hondas.

I must be missing something as all this stuff is new to me, but if Amsoil had such poor wear numbers by Bitog standards they'd be eating a dog dirt sandwich over it, while some people turn a blind eye to the wear in Mobil 1 UOAs and treat them like an underdog.

Exxon doesn't need our emotional support, they need to improve their add pack to combat wear. But recently I have noticed them improving greatly.

I am just feeding the "trolls" because it is fun.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Ok, Deven, I'll bite...

The high FE UOAs I have read from Mobil 1 5W20 SM got me to get my two jugs I got on sale out of my stash and sell them for 30$ a jug to a guy I'm training with.

Now I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, it was very silly of me, but I got my money back close enough that I can get two jugs of QSUD and pocket some change as it is 24$ a jug at WM.

Am I happy about that? Why yes, indeed, I am. My car just purrrrs on QSUD and I have seen UOAs that let me rest easy from other Hondas.

I must be missing something as all this stuff is new to me, but if Amsoil had such poor wear numbers by Bitog standards they'd be eating a dog dirt sandwich over it, while some people turn a blind eye to the wear in Mobil 1 UOAs and treat them like an underdog.

Exxon doesn't need our emotional support, they need to improve their add pack to combat wear. But recently I have noticed them improving greatly.

I am just feeding the "trolls" because it is fun.

There are people on here that take offense to anyone taking Amsoil as choice over M1 products. The battle has been fought for many moons. It basicly stems from Amsoil's not publishing certain data and not having all their products certified.

And yet Mobil is not certified for certain everyday applications and does not publish key data. It is less about performance but more about preference.

People criticize Amsoil, but if a Bitogger was on his deathbed and he posted, "Bitoggers, my end is near... Raid my stash so I may go in peace..."

I would probably see everyone running off with big smiles with those funny square quarts first... "what?, the Mobil 1 is still here beside the GTX and the Nextgen" ----"My arms are full..."

From everything I have read about car manufacturer's warranty and Amsoil's warranty, Amsoil would probably come through for you quicker and they would probably want your engine to analyze how the oil failed to improve it.

You buy a little black book and keep your service record and bills, and you know what is going in your engine which is very nice. And, as a Canadian, I am very happy that Amsoil is made right in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
TGMO blended by XOM better than one of XOM's flagships products. I do not buy that sorry. Given the choice I would go with one of Amsoil's offerings.

I am supposed to wait 10k for my first oil change in my Prius C but I am going to do an early one with M1 0W20. When Toyota does their change at 10K with TMO 0W20, I'll go with 10k oci's from that point forward I guess with TMO.

Having used Mobil 1 0W-20 and performed a couple of UOAs, I am not impressed with its TBN retention. I did not use Mobil 1 0W-20 prior to it changing its formula to SN, but 5W-30 EP uses the same detergent system. I have also experienced a decline in how well 5W-30EP holds its TBN since it switched to SN with its new magnesium detergent additives.

I have been very impressed with the VOAs on Amsoil's Signature Series line up. Coincidentially, I have now added a fourth vehicle to my family's fleet. The new vehicle allows 10K miles or one year oil changes. I have begin installing Amsoil Signature Series oils in these vehicles, and intend to compare UOA results very closely to the ones I have performed on Mobil 1. I suspect the Amsoil will show that it can hold up better for 10K miles/one year oil changes. If it does, I will switch completely to the Signature Series lineup for my vehicles. This will save me lots of time by allowing me to eliminate some of my oil changes. Stay tuned over the next few months, as I will post my UOA results.

Furthermore, my other Prius, a Gen2, is specified to use 5W30. But since I have a lot of unused M1 0W40, I am going to blend my own 0W30 by using M1 0W20 and 0W40 in a ratio using the Widman calculator which will give me 10.9cSt at 100C but improved 40C cSt (58.4).

If it is extended drains you are looking at Amsoil is the only game in town, especially with today's sophisticated vehicles.

If you can trust a Japanese or a Korean car manufacturer to honor their warranty, it is the same difference if you put your warranty in Amsoil's hands.

They are a U.S. company, and if you do your part with your maintenance and verifying your fluid levels and keep records, and your engine blows, they have much more to loose than you do if they don't honor their warranty.

With the internet today, reputation is everything. Car manufacturers are in the car biz, and they don't want to honor their warranties. And they don't care about the bad press it seems.

Amsoil is in the oil business, it's all they do. If a car failed on Amsoil it would have failed on any oil, only much faster and much worse. Check out their UOAs and VOAs, they are everywhere on BITOG, and all impressive.

If someone had a warranty problem on BITOG with Amsoil it would be a firestorm. I doubt the'd risk shafting anyone. 10 years this site was up, and no issues with Amsoil.

When I get through my stash a bit I am getting a PC card with Amsoil and buying two cases of SSO. I just don't want to get oil anxiety with too much oil laying around worried if I'll get to use it before I die lol.

4 Quarts of SSO 0W20 would last me a 1 year OCI with ease in my Fit... So a case of SSO is 3 years worth of oil with some left over to top off during the OCI.

M1 0-20 is excellant for 10K in most engines. However the Ams may be better for longer OCIs than 10K. However if you are going to run 10K the M1 will perform as well as the Ams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back