Castrol Edge SPT 5W-40 for Jeep Liberty CRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual asks for:

Use SAE 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil that meets API categories CF or better and the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725. If you cannot find SAE 0W-40, then SAE 5W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil is acceptable. Any engine oil that does not meet the manufacturer's requirements should not be used."

Castrol Edge SPT 5w-40 meets the API CF but does not mention MS-10725. However this engine is an Italian made VM Motori. Castrol Edge SPT meets the Euro diesel spec of A3-B4 for turbo diesels. Do you think this oil is fine to use? Castrol Q&A says no because it does not meet the MS-10725 standard. I tend to think it never tested or got approved for this standard but that this oil would be fine for this Euro diesel.
In other countries where this diesel Jeep is still used they follow the Euro spec for selecting diesel oils.
Your thoughts?
Castrol Edge specs

Last edited:
Well if Castrol says no then I would take it as so. M1 0w40 can be had so easily and reasonably when on sale especially, why would you want to take the chance??

On the other hand I am sure the Edge SPT would not hurt anything but I wouldn't take chances if you are under warranty.

The Jeep is not under warranty.
I prefer a 5w-40 to a 0w-40 and would like to take advantage of the sales which are run at Advance Auto with oil and filters. I'm not convinced that Castrol folks who respond to the Q&A are very astute nor am I convinced that Chrysler provided the best spec for an Italian diesel. I also think Castrol does not want to deviate from the manufacturer's spec.

I tend to think Chrysler specified around the oil company with which they had a contract at that time. Currently they are specifying Euro diesels around Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 rather than Mobil 0w-40.

Last edited:
I might also mention that I have Green Diesel tune so the EGR is basically a non-issue.

There is not much difference between a 5/40 and an 0/40 engine oil in terms of the very important cold start protection, but the 0/40 will produce slightly better UOA results for wear metals in particular.
To get a full approval rather than just recommended for use with etc, the engine manufacturer has to test the engine with that oil and sometimes the oil company has to pay them for the approval. Some oil companies like Liqui Moly in Germany do their own engine tests and use those results to recommend oil for a particular type of engine.
Unfortunately if both the manufacturer and oil company have not tested a particular oil, then you are in the dark to a certain extent, because there is a very slight chance that one of the additives used by a new oil that does not have either a car engine company approval or at least an oil company one, reacts with some component in the engine like a gasket or oil seal compound.
I want to use Synthoil 0/40 rather than 5/40 for my old Volvo, BUT Volvo don't approve it and when I wrote to LM they said not to use it as well. I asked them if there was a possible chemical reaction issue that might start an oil leak and they said definitely not and it was just that they had never tested an 0/40 in the 1.9 Renault block.
So, in conclusion use the 0/40, but I wouldn't loose too much sleep if the Edge 5/40 gets used, as it does have some sort of approval.

The main point of contention that I would have with the Chrysler material standard is that the engine is not their design/build, its a VM Motori design/build which follows the Euro diesel ratings. Castrol meets all the API and ACEA rating requirements and I can't find a published list of oils which meet the Chrysler 10725 standard. The evidence seems to indicate that they just create a standard around the oil they choose for factory fill. It was Mobil then, and now its Pennzoil Platinum. How can a manufacturer standard exist outside of recognized testing agencies, except to say this is the oil we tested in our motor and observed no problems.

I know many people use the Rotella T6 and it does not list the Chrysler standard either to my knowledge.

I am just posting this to see if there is a flaw in the reasoning which leads me to utilize this product.

Unfortuntely the manufaturer can define a new standard for any fluid and in effect that means they can say you are using an oil that does not meet the required standard. Even if your car is outside of the intial warranty period I would make sure you know what the terms are for the longer power train one, because a few companies say you have to use an expensive oil and people forget that requirement, which invalidates it.
If you want to figure out an alternative oil, firstly choose an oil that is the same viscosity and group (Eg 5/40 group 4 fully synthetic A4/B4 etc)and classifications. Then see if you can find a virgin oil analysis to see what is in it, in terms of the zinc, calcium, moly and other additives. If you can't find one then then try contacting the oil company concerned or ask in the forums if anyone has a copy for you to look at. Then just go hunt down an equivalent oil and if you do that, I would be very surprised if your UOA results were any different to the results from using the expensive stuff.
One word of warning about filters (Air and Oil) is that whilst I don't use Volvo recommended oil, I ALWAYS USE THE MANUFACTURERS FILTERS. You won't beet the performance of the air filter and although a few of the new synthetic element high performance long life filters might be better I would be very careful you choose the right one, as a mistake with an oil filter in particular is very serious and some of the cheap ones from China are real rubbish. Never let the quick lube bandits use one.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
The main point of contention that I would have with the Chrysler material standard is that the engine is not their design/build, its a VM Motori design/build which follows the Euro diesel ratings. Castrol meets all the API and ACEA rating requirements and I can't find a published list of oils which meet the Chrysler 10725 standard. The evidence seems to indicate that they just create a standard around the oil they choose for factory fill. It was Mobil then, and now its Pennzoil Platinum. How can a manufacturer standard exist outside of recognized testing agencies, except to say this is the oil we tested in our motor and observed no problems.

I know many people use the Rotella T6 and it does not list the Chrysler standard either to my knowledge.

I am just posting this to see if there is a flaw in the reasoning which leads me to utilize this product.

The Castrol Edge SPT meets all the industry oil specifications except the Chrysler material standard--which Mobil 0w-40 no longer meets either--and it was the originally specified oil. I would think the engine builder's specs would be more important than Chrysler's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back