Collinite 845, how long to wait between coats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Probabaly a dumb question but I have to know if there is a time one should wait between coats?

I am using (and love!) Collinite 845 Insulator wax and want to put 2 coats on my Sierra but don't know if it is ok to do so right after the first coat or should I wait a few hours or 24?

Just don't want to have to go through the whole wash and dry before wax scenerio the next day if I can help it?

You only need to wait 30-45 mins per Collinite customer service. I needed some info too so I gave them a call a while back. Simply the best out there for the cost. I keep up in between waxes with Meg's Spray wax, which is the best spray wax I have come across to date. Great luck!

Thanks guys, I guess by the time I am done one coat and take a break then I can probably start where I originally began as quite a bit of time would have passed.

Great wax imo and will probably continue to use it for years to come!

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
You only need to wait 30-45 mins per Collinite customer service. I needed some info too so I gave them a call a while back. Simply the best out there for the cost. I keep up in between waxes with Meg's Spray wax, which is the best spray wax I have come across to date. Great luck!

LOL I guess it depends on who you spoke to. I called once about layering 845 and 476S. One guy told me use 845 wait overnight and then apply 476S. I called back spoke to someone else and was told the opposite.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I had two bottles of Insulator Wax, and when a friend was complaining about the waxes he was using on his Jag XJR, I gave him my open bottle of Insulator Wax. Now, he won't give it back to me, he likes it so much. .

LOL, I have gotten a few friends onto it as well, and I guess they have told 2 friends and so on as it is getting harder and harder to find/get!

I usually get mine at E-Shine up in Canada but they have been out of stock for over a month now!
mad.gif

Give at least 12 hours for the wax to bond and cure before appling a second coat
thumbsup2.gif

I usually wait 12 hours. If you have access to a garage that is awesome. I would wax mine, leave it in the garage overnight and reapply the next day. It might be a little overkill in terms of time between waxing (as mentioned above it only takes 30-40 minutes to adhear) but I am very happy with my results..

12 hours is my opinion. I usually go by feel as well. The surface feels different once the wax has time to cure.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I would say wait until the next time it needs a wash (less work).

This coming from somebody that probably never waxes his vehicles and does 2 annual oil changes on the same filter
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I would say wait until the next time it needs a wash (less work).

This coming from somebody that probably never waxes his vehicles and does 2 annual oil changes on the same filter
lol.gif

Umm...no. I rarely do 2 coats, and never done 2 coats of the same product. If I do, I simply wait until the next wash (next week). If you wait 12 hrs (which most require), it needs a wash again. Thus, you might as well wait until it really needs a wash.

I keep the vehicle garaged while I let the first coat cure. Hardly ever any dust or debris on it the next day.

Thanks everyone!

Just curious, if one doesn't wait the recommended time then what can happen, can you actually be removing the first coat you put on or something different?

I still haven't gotten around to my second coat yet but hope to soon.

Seriously i think wax you cannot double layer(coat twice) If anything you go over a missed spot ,,On another note PAINT you can coat (double over each application or like back in the enamel days multiple coats for depth and chip resistance)

After years of show car days and trying every wax out there i just recently discovered Collinite and it is amazing and the sun does not burn it off in a day or so like all the big money wax out there

Overall you just can't stack /double coat wax like paint

Originally Posted By: heyu
Seriously i think wax you cannot double layer(coat twice) If anything you go over a missed spot ,,On another note PAINT you can coat (double over each application or like back in the enamel days multiple coats for depth and chip resistance)

After years of show car days and trying every wax out there i just recently discovered Collinite and it is amazing and the sun does not burn it off in a day or so like all the big money wax out there

Overall you just can't stack /double coat wax like paint

Interesting, always wondered that?
Thanks

I disagree, and collinite disagrees as well, according to them, after the wax/sealant cures - 12-48 hours depending on humidity and temp - their waxes/sealants can be layered for additional durability.

I have 3 coats of collinite 476s spaced 1 day apart - and the coverage is noticeably thicker compared to one coat.

My2cents

Just my opinion,,If you wax the same area say 20x and you scrape it your NOT going get 20 coats of wax ,,yet alone 2 coats it would be one and the first one applied overall

Paint you apply/coat and you will get thickness of paint material

2,3,4 so called coats of wax is useless

Last edited:
I finished my bottle of 845 the last time I waxed my HHR. When I washed it the other day for the first time since I waxed I was amazed! I've never seen water beads like that in my life. It was awesome for 845 even. The beads were tiny and tight!

I never did do two coats at once though. It's usually a week at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back