Questions about Collinite 845?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard and read great things about Collinite 845 and I think I'll try it on my Black Honda Accord. Before I do are there any special preparations I need to do besides washing and drying the car? And do you apply/remove it like any other liquid wax?

Thanks,

Griz95

I recommend claying the car to remove any surface contaminants that washing didnt remove. The step is nice but not entirely necessary. The trick with 845 is you need to shake the &#$#$#* of it. There cannot be any seperation prior to applying. Besides that it is similar to a liquid wax. Use very little and I would go over the car twice to ensure complete coverage.

Clay bar?...okay I omit I am dumber than dirt when it comes to anything other than normal washing and waxes...what is a clay bar and how do you apply it?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: Griz95
Clay bar?...okay I omit I am dumber than dirt when it comes to anything other than normal washing and waxes...what is a clay bar and how do you apply it?

Thanks,

A clay bar is literally a piece of clay that comes with a quick detailer (something slick used to help the clay move freely.) If you haven't clayed before it would be worth while. After you wash and rinse the car I recommend spraying the quick detailer on the wet car and move the clay in one direction. Dont press down but let glide over the paint. You will use a lot of Quick Detailer for a normal car so dont feel you are overdoing it.

Clay Magic and Mothers are two great, reasonably priced clay systems and are available at most auto stores and Walmart. I gave you the basics but the box will have more detailed directions. Typically I will only clay once, maybe twice a year prior to waxing.

Using a clay bar may create more swirls and micro scratches in the finish, I would advise against using a clay bar unless you are going to be doing some polishing right after. Regardless if you polish or not, the car WILL look better after a clay and wax.

I would really recommend using a higher quality product than whats on the shelf at walmart, I have yet to find a clay kit that produces better results than the Pinnacle Ultra Poly kit, it is highly regarded in the detailing world.

link to the kit:
http://www.autogeek.net/piulpoclkit.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Using a clay bar may create more swirls and micro scratches in the finish, I would advise against using a clay bar unless you are going to be doing some polishing right after. Regardless if you polish or not, the car WILL look better after a clay and wax.

I would really recommend using a higher quality product than whats on the shelf at walmart, I have yet to find a clay kit that produces better results than the Pinnacle Ultra Poly kit, it is highly regarded in the detailing world.

link to the kit:
http://www.autogeek.net/piulpoclkit.html

Well I do agree that Pinnacle quality is second to none, Mothers clay is considered to be top notch in the OTC level and if used properly will not scratch or mar. Unless you have an agressive clay or using improper technique, there shouldnt be any surface scratching. There can be some but a lot of it also depends on the level of contaimination on the vehicle also. Using mothers correctly followed by Collinite will really make the paint "pop."

845 is probably the easiest wax to apply by hand, other than a spray of course.

It does not last as long as some sealants, but when you work with it, you will really like it.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
845 is probably the easiest wax to apply by hand, other than a spray of course.

It does not last as long as some sealants, but when you work with it, you will really like it.

That's good to hear.
smile.gif

I firmly agree with claying the car. There are many videos available on You Tube. With Collinite #845 there are a couple of things you need to know. First the product must be shaken incredibly well. It's nice and thick when you get it but it's supposed to be thin almost like water, shaking accomplishes this. If there is still a thick glob around the cap push it back into the rest and shake some more.

The second is thin application. It should be so thin that you must strain the old eyeballs to see if there is anything there. Once it hazes over remove it with a quality microfiber towel. If you get dusting when removing it you used too much Collinite.

When you shake the 845, make sure you keep pressure on the cap with your hand or fingers. The cap can come off. Don't ask me how I know!

845 is one of the easier and longest lasting liquid waxes I've ever used and it's typically the only one I use now. Sometimes I still might apply a cleaner wax (Meg's cleaner wax paste) and occasionally I use Collinite 476s. All the other waxes I have sit in a box.

OTC clay bar kits do work. I use Meg's clay bars all the time. Instead of wasting all the quick detailer, just use the clay bar right after washing and before drying the car. Mix up some clean water and car wash soap to use that for your lubricant. Keep it WET when using the claybar. Use the claybar even on glass, but avoid non-painted plastic and rubber trim.

When applying the 845, RTexasF is right. Thin is in. I usually can't tell if I did a good job applying it until it hazes up, so I use feel to determine good coverage just as much as I do by looking at it.

Last time I did the Accord, I applied it with a black pad. Quickest wax job I've ever done, even with 3 coats of 845 and waiting minimum 12 hours between coats.

All great info...Thanks. A couple of more questions. What applicator is best to use when applying Collinite 845? And are all microfiber towels created equal? I bought some at Costco and was wondering if these are the same quality as Auto Geeks are selling?

Thanks,

Griz95

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Griz95
All great info...Thanks. A couple of more questions. What applicator is best to use when applying Collinite 845? And are all microfiber towels created equal? I bought some at Costco and was wondering if these are the same quality as Auto Geeks are selling?

Thanks,

Griz95

Some people love the Cobra MF towels sold at AG but I have personally never been a fan. They are quality towels but I feel for the average weekend warrior, Costco towels do just as good of a job and will last a long time with proper care.

A simple foam applicator will do what you need. Initially spread it with your thumbs all over every part (on one side) of the applicator. That should do at least an entire hood. Then one or two dime sized drops for future sections. LOOK to see if it is still putting out a layer on the new surfaces; if so no more product is needed.

The difference in microfiber towels is huge. Cobra towels are very overpriced, I have a few and just don't care for them much. Poorboy's towels are top shelf, check them out. Costco towels have improved from terrible to okay. Wash them first and google on how to wash them and what not to do....like fabric softener in washer soap or dryer.

I believe I will always stay with 100% terry cloths. Never had any issues with them and they're easy on my hands. Microfiber towels tend to catch the rough skin on my hands and that really hurts.

That said, the quality differences in microfiber can be considerable.

I just used up the bottle of 845 I purchased back in 2005! This stuff is awesome. I never got the promised durability,but 845 looks good and is very easy to remove and apply.

That reminds me, I MUST put in an Autogeek order for 2-3 bottles of 845 (my supply is finally GONE
frown.gif
), and some of those Poorboy's microfiber towels that RTexasF so helpfully recommended! <
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back