post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Did the pan drop and filter change.

Out: M1 ATF

In: M1 ATF

4 1/2 Qts

40K on the last fluid change

2001 BMW 325i with ZF 5HP-19 automatic transmission. 100,000 miles and first time to change fluid/filter. Used ~6.5 quarts of Redline D4 atf.

The old fluid was very dark but didn't smell burnt, in fact there was not much of that atf aroma like new atf. The pan magnets had a bit of sludge like stuff otherwise no visible metal shavings.

Its not my car I just helped my friend change the fluid and filter. I have not driven the car before and after the fluid/filter change so I can't say much about the transmission performance before/after. He tells me that it shifts into reverse much faster almost instantly rather than a slightly delay. Shifting is much tighter meaning its smoother. Before it hesitates a bit in between shifts.

1990 Toyota 4 Runner, 223,500, Pan drop, cooler line flush, 12 Qts Maxlife Dex/Merc + 1 pint Lubeguard Red. New internal Toyota filter (screen) and added remote filter mount with M1 102 spin-on.

Last edited:
2004 dodge ram 1500. 127K miles. Dropped pan changed the 2 filters and refilled.
Then opened return cooler line and got the rest out. Castrol atf-4 12 quarts.

1997 MB E320. 213,000 miles. Drain 4L from pan, 3.5L from torque converter, change filter. Refill with 8L of Redline D4. Smooth shifts as 15 years ago.

2009 MDX ~25,000km, filled transmission with almost 2.7q of Redline D4. and 2.5q of Amsoil ATF for rear differentials last night. after driving 15KM, the fluid was about 1cm below the low line, so add 0.3 and that bring total replacement fluid to 3q; reading on dipstick is good now.
11,000km of usage both the AT and rear differential magnets has a very thin layer of fine black particles, and colour of fluid looks good (both looks much much better than last year). this is the vihacle's first drain and fill after cooler line flush with D4 last year around 14,000km.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
2009 MDX ~25,000km, filled transmission with almost 2.7q of Redline D4. and 2.5q of Amsoil ATF for rear differentials last night. after driving 15KM, the fluid was about 1cm below the low line, so add 0.3 and that bring total replacement fluid to 3q; reading on dipstick is good now.
11,000km of usage both the AT and rear differential magnets has a very thin layer of fine black particles, and colour of fluid looks good (both looks much much better than last year). this is the vihacle's first drain and fill after cooler line flush with D4 last year around 14,000km.

I thought the rear diff specifically needed VTM fluid for the clutch packs to behave properly?

M

2003 town and country, 84,000 miles, new to us.

Pan drop and filter change (the 3rd party filter from china was a pain to fit). castrol atf +4.

Then a 4qt extract/fill a week later. castrol ATF +4.

Then magnefine (atp JX-160) in the return line.

I want to see if we can get a few years out of this AT.

Mikey

i believe VTM4, and SH-AWD spec different fluid. prior to 2010, all rear differentials on the SH-AWD units were calling for ATF-Z1. this is the case in RL, RDX, and MDX. after ATF-DW1 came out in 2010, Acura spec DPSF, or Honda DP2 for real differential fluid. i am happily to stick with Amsoil or Redline, because DP2 cost much much more at where i live.
grin.gif

2010 Mazda 6 -- 35,000 miles
Drain and fill 3.5qts of Mazda M-V fluid.
(not to be confused with Mercon-V...completely different and not compatible with each other. M-V stands for Mazda Type: 5)

02 Focus 93k
Pulled the bottom hose and flushed out 5.5 quarts total.
Put 5 quarts back of Castrol V back in, need to go get another quart. By far the easiest underneath but the dipstick is pain. Also did a PS flush.

2005 Pontiac Grand AM SE w/ 3.4L V6

@ 50k miles

Out: FF
In: Quaker State Multi-vehicle ATF Dexron III

Changed twice and the mixture should be about 80% new and 20% old.

2001 Chevy Cavalier, 4 speed auto transmission, 70,000+ miles.
old: Pennzoil Dexron 3
new: drop pan, replace filter, cooler line fluid flush with Super Tech Dexron-VI.

Trans shifts smoother and is quieter. Better early morning cold temperature shifting.

Just did a flush on wife's Mazda 3 with 5qts of Super tech dexron vi(had it on hand) and 5 quarts of VML dex/Merc. I also installed a Magnefine. It's amazing how much [censored] in the fluid this little 4 auto speed makes.

1961 GMC Suburban granny low 4 speed

dumped then GL5, the owner manual calls for "straight mineral gear oil"

I might run Bel Ray 80W Gear Saver

Back