2009 Silverado, 3772mi, PP 5w30 SM, OLM 55%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Try M1 EP. Seems more durable in my Honda V6.

Careful!! M1 EP was shot in another UOA forum here........

I noticed that. I guess both of these reports show that M1 and PP are junk oils. Must be true, the reports say so.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

I noticed that. I guess both of these reports show that M1 and PP are junk oils. Must be true, the reports say so.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd trust the "reports" more than brand loyalty and even more marketing.
20.gif

But what one oil does in one engine and UOA does not mean anything for the same oil in another engine. And what one oil does in the same engine may not do the same if the operating conditions are not close to the same or the engine is in the same condition.

Its REALLY important to do your own UOAs on YOUR engine.

Bill

GM engines most often show higher metals in UOAs, but yet GM engines also are very long lasting engines. A friend has a 99 5.3 Silverado with 290K. He does 15-20K OCIs and the engine still runs graet. For the most part these UOAs are useless for determining actual engine wear. Contamination is another thing.
27.gif

Last edited:
GM engines most often show higher metals in UOAs, but yet GM engines also are very long lasting engines. A friend has a 99 5.3 Silverado with 290K. He does 15-20K OCIs and the engine still runs graet. For the most part these UOAs are useless for determining actual engine wear. Contamination is another thing.
27.gif

So your friend has done UOAs that has shown higher metals?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
27.gif

No. With the way his engine performs he never thought one was necessary. With that said the majority of GM engine that have UOAs recorded here on BITOG do often show higher metals than other brands, which means nothing for actual engine wear or longivity of the engine.

27.gif

No. With the way his engine performs he never thought one was necessary. With that said the majority of GM engine that have UOAs recorded here on BITOG do often show higher metals than other brands, which means nothing for actual engine wear or longivity of the engine.

See I'd disagree. We have seen all brands of engines with both "high" and "low" numbers.

What I will say is we are too "concerned" with the difference between having a UOA that shows 7ppm of Iron, 20ppm of copper vs 14ppm of iron and 40ppm of copper and the later is being a "poor" oil or motor. Lower is better but in the end it is NOT going to matter.

Until those numbers are both high (like in the hundreds) AND you have TRENDING then I'd show some concern. UOAs ARE USEFUL and should not be discouraged if they don't make your favorite brand look good.

They are what they are, data that is better than fantasy.

Bill

Like I said,the first time. Try M1 EP. Seems more durable in my Honda V6.

27.gif

See I'd disagree. We have seen all brands of engines with both "high" and "low" numbers.

What I will say is we are too "concerned" with the difference between having a UOA that shows 7ppm of Iron, 20ppm of copper vs 14ppm of iron and 40ppm of copper and the later is being a "poor" oil or motor. Lower is better but in the end it is NOT going to matter.

Until those numbers are both high (like in the hundreds) AND you have TRENDING then I'd show some concern. UOAs ARE USEFUL and should not be discouraged if they don't make your favorite brand look good.

Bill

You said"if they don't make your favorite brand look good". This UOA is with PP 5-30. I don'r use PP. I believe PP is an outstanding product and would use it if M1 went out of business. As for discourageing the use of UOAs, For the the most part I think they are a waste of $ for most people. I also believe I am not breaking any BITOG rules by saying that. Am I? However we still are a free people and can decide for ourselves matters of this nature. We can, can't we?

Bill

You said"if they don't make your favorite brand look good". This UOA is with PP 5-30. I don'r use PP. I believe PP is an outstanding product and would use it if M1 went out of business. As for discourageing the use of UOAs, For the the most part I think they are a waste of $ for most people. I also believe I am not breaking any BITOG rules by saying that. Am I? However we still are a free people and can decide for ourselves matters of this nature. We can, can't we?

Notice that I'm not making blanket statements like you are. I'm just explaining to others that may be reading this thread (which are MANY MANY more than members here who may read it) discussing what/how UOAs are useful. Been doing that for many more years than you've been around here.

It's not all about you but it is when you make statements that are not factual. See how you make it about brands. Where above did I say anything about either PP or Mobil 1?

In fact let's review...

thumbsup2.gif

I'd trust the "reports" more than brand loyalty and even more marketing.
20.gif

But what one oil does in one engine and UOA does not mean anything for the same oil in another engine. And what one oil does in the same engine may not do the same if the operating conditions are not close to the same or the engine is in the same condition.

Its REALLY important to do your own UOAs on YOUR engine.

Bill

Notice that you have nothing to do with the thread until someone says something about Mobil then here you are with bells on. Once they have been spoken about then its time to defend no matter what needs to be said.
24.gif

I reply with FACTUAL (and truthful) stating the above. UOAs do have a purpose and I've stated why they are more important than what the marketing department or member bias here. Also notice what I said above.

You are not breaking any rules but expect to be called out when making statements that UOAs are useless for determining wear when your only purpose to be in the thread is to defend a brand. (They are useful and have saved many life's and engines in aviation. If they were "for the most part" (whatever that means) then why does aviation spend millions a year doing them? Nothing to do with contamination BTW.)

Back to the subject in hand. To the OP... DO a few short OCIs with PYB or GTX (whatever you'd like) and then another UOA and let's see what comes of that. Keep off the remote start so we can see if the oil choice makes a difference. But truthfully your numbers are low enough that I'd run whatever 5w-30 you want and get on with it. It does not look like you have a coolant leak and your engine will last a long time with any oil.

With my 2000 4.8l Chevy motor (which is doing great with around 125k on it now with the new owner) Chevron 5w-30 did the best as far as MPG, UOA numbers and such. This is over PYB, GTX and Mobil 1.

Bill

27.gif

Bill

That's what I've been trying to say. These aren't even scientific reports for the serious lack of test descriptions and their associated variances for each "observed figure". Very unscientific though they are indicative of a few solid attributes.

WHere is the UOA, I don't see anything?

Originally Posted By: pcfxer

That's what I've been trying to say. These aren't even scientific reports for the serious lack of test descriptions and their associated variances for each "observed figure". Very unscientific though they are indicative of a few solid attributes.

WHere is the UOA, I don't see anything?

First post in the thread. Here it is again!

Originally Posted By: dave2009
I stitched to PP this run and did not use the remote start but the lead continues to increase and now Tin is up as well. I had wanted to stretch the OCI out to 6K and based the many posts on BITOG, both PP and PYB are very good oils. I'm thinking about switching back to Castrol GTX or possibly something else because the UOA was much better on GTX, even on a new engine. Vehicle is 2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L with AFM. 75% Highway driving. Please help! Thanks

Blackstone Comments: Unfortunately, we still can’t recommend 6,000 miles on the oil. Most of the wear metals look good but lead and tin are considerably higher than average. Than means that this 5.3L is seeing some excessive bearing wear. This level might be normal for this engine and the use that it sees, but until we know that for sure, stick with 3,000-4,000 miles on the oil. Fuel at 1.0% isn’t cautionary and the viscosity was normal for 5W/30. The TBN was strong at 4.6 showing lots of active additive remaining. Hopefully the bearings look better the next time.

/PP / /PYB /GTX
MI/HR on Oil /3,772 /Unit Avg /2956 /3135
MI/UR on Unit /23,771 / /19,999 /4843
Sample Date /05-04-2011 / /02-20-2011 /05-07-2010
Make Up Oil Added /0 /0 /0

Aluminum /2 /3 /3 /3
Chromium /1 /1 /1 /1
Iron /10 /13 /9 /19
Copper /49 /93 /40 /190
Lead /27 /20 /24 /10
Tin /8 /5 /3 /3
Molybdenum /74 /108 /246 /5
Nickel /1 /1 /1 /1
Manganese /1 /3 /1 /6
Silver /0 /0 /0 /0
Titanium /0 /0 /0 /0
Potassium /0 /1 /0 /3
Boron /14 /29 /69 /4
Silicon /13 /16 /12 /23
Sodium /4 /93 /5 /269
Calcium /2411 /2272 /2267 /2139
Magnesium /10 /8 /7 /7
Phosphorus /693 /695 /717 /675
Zinc /705 /782 /779 /863
Barium /0 /0 /0 /0
Values
should be
SUS Viscosity @210F /56.3 /56-63 /54.3 /55.8
cSt Viscosity @100C /9.15 /9.1-11.3 /8.58 /9.00
Flashpoint in F /345 />365 /375 /400
Fuel % /1.0 / Water % /0.0 /0.0 /0.0
Insolubles % /0.4 /0.2 /0.3
TBN /4.6 /4.3

Bill,
Once again you miss represent what I said. What does Aviation(I was once a jet engine mechanic, US Navy)and simple UOAs for auto engines have in common. Answer: Nothing. Again, "for the most part" means very few owners of cars or trucks need UOAs. I have been driving and owning vehicles for a very long time and have never needed one. A couple of years ago I did one on each car I owned for the novelty of it. I am pleased that a UOA was the find all for your problems and saved you a lot of money in repairs. However most drivers today would never need a UOA. In fact most drivers today never heard of a UOA.

Last edited:
If the truck only has 24k miles on it get them to fix it under warrenty or buy it back. Its only going to get worse with time.

Originally Posted By: dave2009
I do tend to agree about fuel dilution, even though I can't prove it, is causing problems. This theory is just based on how it drives and the relative poor hwy mileage. I read somewhere that GM runs the engine richer to aid with cooling. Don't know if that is true but maybe the tune would help with that as well

Dave, my 2007 really drank fuel until about 20k miles. After that highway fuel mileage shot up from 16 to 18.5 on a regular basis. City fuel mileage also went up from 12 to 14. During the early years it was typical for me to get 14mpg highway. I always ran Supertech 5w30 Synthetic and used the Gm OLM

You have a 5yr 100k powertrain warranty on the engine, so if you develop any issues Gm will take care of it. Last year I had them rebuild the front differential on my 2005 Tahoe under the 100k warranty plan.

Good luck.

"""Notice that you have nothing to do with the thread until someone says something about Mobil then here you are with bells on.""""

Boy did you ever hit the bullseye with that statement Bill

My wife's 5.3 truck has done well in UOA on Synpower 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back