Mobil Super Syn 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all let me say I'm very disappointed if this is the acutal levels of the add pack. This test shows the levels are lower than the regular mobil super 5000! Something seems wrong here..... but here it is!
For some reason I couldnt get the code to work properly

Comments:This is the second sample of Mobil Super 5w-30 we've seen today. When we saw titanium and sodium in the other one we asked the other guy to send in a virgin sample so we could see what's in it.But now we're seeing yours, and it looks like Mobil is really starting to use titanium. Trace wear metals were also found present but this should not be a problem. The TBN starts our nice and strong at 7.1 with no moisture or solids present.

Code:

Aluminum 0

Chromium 0

Iron 1

Copper 0

Lead 2

Tin - 1

Molybdenum - 1

Nickel - 0

Manganese - 0

Silver- 0

Titanium - 26

Potassium - 0

Boron - 0

Silicon - 0

Sodium - 340

Calcium - 1341

Magnesium - 7

Phosphorus - 607

Zinc - 668

Barium - 0

SUS Viscosity@210 F - 59.9

cSt Viscosity@100 C - 10.19

Flashpoint in F - 425

Fuel% -

Antifreeze% -

Water% - 0.0

Insolubles% - TRACE

TBN - 7.1

Quote:
Recent research on low HT/HS oils showed oils using salicylate detergents showed higher TBN retention even with lower starting base numbers .

Also the test oil with salicylate's and low low phosphorous outperformed the sulphonate oil with much more sulphur and phos in the anti-wear capability .

Anyone know of any deals on this oil right now? Supposedly not as good as M1 according to Mobil (saw where someone posted an email they sent to Mobil about the difference between the two and Mobil's response), but it is worth a try.

Thank you for posting the VOA!

Although add pack does seem a bit weak with low TBN, I'm really interested in how Mobil Super Synthetic will perform in real life UOA. I was going to buy some at $3.50/quart, but decided to hold off until we see some UOAs. Until then I'm sticking with a trusty Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: unixguru
Thank you for posting the VOA!

Although add pack does seem a bit weak with low TBN, I'm really interested in how Mobil Super Synthetic will perform in real life UOA. I was going to buy some at $3.50/quart, but decided to hold off until we see some UOAs. Until then I'm sticking with a trusty Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum.

I'm going to be by Walmart tomorrow. I'm going to see if the one in my area has PP for $14.50 as some have reported. If so, I'll get that. If not, I'll get some of the Super Syn at Oreillys.

Does not mean anything:moly 1, boron 1, calcium 1341, zinc 668, pho. 607, tbn 7.1 Means :You have a moral obligation to take money from suckers. Pleeze
hooked.gif

Meh, I'll pass. Thanks for get the VOA. There must be some really good 'juice' in there, but I thought Mobil only used their 'secret sauce' in the M1 lineup?
crazy2.gif

Before everyone jumps on the "weak add pack" bandwagon - Have you paid attention to the several other SN Mobil 1 VOA's recently??

They all show a lower than "expected" addpack - Either blackstone calibration is off, or Mobil's new formulation across the SN lineup (conventional thru M1) has changed and a simple VOA may not be picking up the complex nature of these oils.

Originally Posted By: TenSecondZ2
...Either blackstone calibration is off, or Mobil's new formulation across the SN lineup (conventional thru M1) has changed and a simple VOA may not be picking up the complex nature of these oils.

Hmmmm; Im going to go with, Yes. Yes, that sounds correct.

To me the oils are looking a lot like valvoline. The add pack numbers and tbn are lower than most of the other oils but valvoline puts up really good uoa even a recent one on a DI engine so time will tell! Mean while I have 12 qts of MSS and 5 of MSHM so when i get done using one ill send in a uoa of each... but thatll be a while.

Last edited:
The suckers are those that buy oils based on VOA's thinking they are chemists.
smile.gif
. The SN formulations look weak on paper, but give the new adds and UOA's a chance.

Here's the VOA of Mobil Super 5000, API SN:

Code:

Aluminum - 0

Chromium - 0

Iron - 0

Copper - 0

Lead - 0

Tin - 0

Molybdenum - 0

Nickel - 0

Manganese - 0

Silver- 0

Titanium - 36

Potassium - 0

Boron - 0

Silicon - 0

Sodium - 328

Calcium - 1686

Magnesium - 14

Phosphorus - 628

Zinc - 718

Barium - 0

SUS Viscosity@210 F - 59.5

cSt Viscosity@100 C - 10.09

Flashpoint in F - 420

Fuel% -

Antifreeze% -

Water% - 0.0

Insolubles% - TRACE

TBN - 7.7

Look familiar?

They are using the same add-pack in a different base oil, just as I thought they would. Mobil saves the 'good stuff' for M1-branded oils...

Thanks for the VOA, OP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the question that will __
confused.gif
___never be answered. Why? because it is Mobil and that is where they make the profit!!! For me, I would never get involved with this stuff they are peddling. They are counting on people only caring about the price and know nothing about oil. So using the name Mobil they play this game... IMHO
Originally Posted By: volk06
Do you know what is the difference in base oils?

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Yes, that is the question that will __
confused.gif
___never be answered. Why? because it is Mobil and that is where they make the profit!!! For me, I would never get involved with this stuff they are peddling. They are counting on people only caring about the price and know nothing about oil. So using the name Mobil they play this game... IMHO
Originally Posted By: volk06
Do you know what is the difference in base oils?

I think we should wait and see some UOA before we start saying that the only good thing about the oil is the price. I don't think the would put out a worse product that before with it being SN. I guess when i do my UOA on it we will find out. Especailyy since theyre about the only ones guaranteeing 5k and 7.5k oci. Makes me wonder if the only differnce in the MSHM is that is that its the same add pack except a blend instead of a dino.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back