Ethics of Eating Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The tyranosaur was supposed to be a light handling repeater that the guide could use in a last ditch emergency after the hunter with his double rifle misplaced a shot or two.

You'll get a kick out of this thread:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071203081852AAv8G47

Somebody asks if a .50BMG is "big enough" to take down an elephant when compared to the .577. Some of the answers are hysterical.

Quote:
You can kill anything on this planet and most like any other planet with a 50 bmg.

I guess you are going for the "You can never kill something too much" end of the power spectrum.

Seems as though the .50 BMG round is superior to the .577, but rifles in the .50 BMG caliber are way too heavy to be carried in the field.

The .50 BMG is complete overkill for even large, dangerous game. It has about 3 times the energy of big game rounds that have been used on everything including elephants. It would cause too much unnecessary damage to the meat. The .50 BMG was originally designed to be used against light barriers and aircraft and at very long range and to quickly obliterate an armed enemy. I don't think you would need that kind of range or barrier penetration to hunt. I think a .458 Winchester Magnum or a .416 Remington Magnum is all that would ever be needed for big game hunting.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The .50 BMG is complete overkill for even large, dangerous game. It has about 3 times the energy of big game rounds that have been used on everything including elephants. It would cause too much unnecessary damage to the meat. The .50 BMG was originally designed to be used against light barriers and aircraft and at very long range and to quickly obliterate an armed enemy. I don't think you would need that kind of range or barrier penetration to hunt. I think a .458 Winchester Magnum or a .416 Remington Magnum is all that would ever be needed for big game hunting.

I agree completely. My point was that for "mine is bigger" weapons like the .577 and .700 Nitro, the .50BMG is still a "superior" round. Carrying more energy, more accuracy and more speed. I would guess that the X500 would be a much "better" gun as well. Though it is still large. Not like the TAC-50, M82A1 or M99, though, which are VERY large.

M82A1 vs M16:

barett_m82a1_m16.jpg

The XM500 is smaller, but still big:

xm500.jpg

I agree that those rounds much more powerful that the .458 WM or .416 RM but less than the .50 BMG are kind of silly. They probably are not practical to shoot in a hunting weight rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back